Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here....
Just bought a used 2007 Burgman 400 with 7K miles on it...
Have no problem to get it on the center stand but get it off has not been easy for me. Many times get almost there.
Tried with hand brake on but does not help much.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I find that it helps if I slide up to the front of the seat while pushing the grips. It might take a rocking motion once or twice if I don't put it all into the bars the first time.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I find that it seems to depend on what surface the scoot is on.....!! If the scoot is on crushed stone (as in my yard!) It can be a real stinker!! If on a paved surface or concrete - I simply grab the passenger handrail and one handlebar and shove forward....... Works every time!!

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
turn the handlebars to the left, rev the engine, and stick your foot under the bike, now gently move your tongue forward in your mouth and the bike will leap off the stand onto your foot hit the turned front wheel and fall over on the right side , then just shut it off and limp over to the side and attempt to pick it up while standing on one leg , bleeding and cussing and watching that pretty girl you were trying to impress walk away laughing at you,

works for me :oops:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
turn the handlebars to the left, rev the engine, and stick your foot under the bike, now gently move your tongue forward in your mouth and the bike will leap off the stand onto your foot hit the turned front wheel and fall over on the right side , then just shut it off and limp over to the side and attempt to pick it up while standing on one leg , bleeding and cussing and watching that pretty girl you were trying to impress walk away laughing at you,

works for me :oops:
Mikey................You are being fired for " non- contributory" remarks................... :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I had a really badtime getting my 650 up on the center stand.. when I had it in a cycle shell.. IT was strange.. I can get it up and down on the center stand , but in there, with the floor flexing and very restricted space, it felt like it would fall to the right if I really put all my weight on the center stand to get it on it.. Getting off, I made sure I was sitting on it with my feet on the ground on both sides.. I sold the cycle shell because it was great for my MP3 500.. but way too much work with my Burgman 650..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If it is hard to get the scoot off the center stand while straddling it, do this:
Stand on the left side of the scoot, put the side stand down, left hand on the handlebar, right hand on the left passenger handhold, right foot in front of the center stand, pull forward. The center stand will pop up and you can rest the scoot on the side stand while you climb aboard. This is the way I do it. NOTE: Try this at your own risk.

Bill

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Bill-Bill said:
If it is hard to get the scoot off the center stand while straddling it, do this:
Stand on the left side of the scoot, put the side stand down, left hand on the handlebar, right hand on the left passenger handhold, right foot in front of the center stand, pull forward. The center stand will pop up and you can rest the scoot on the side stand while you climb aboard. This is the way I do it. NOTE: Try this at your own risk.

Bill
Ahhhhhh.!!!!! Errrrrrrr.!!!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmm...!!!! Didn't I say pretty much the same thing.......??? :?: MikeyMarine will appreciate this..........!! Eat 8 more sammiches.........AND...if you are over 400 LBS and Tall - Just sit on the passenger seat and twist the throttle....! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
v8eyedoc,

No, you did not. The way I said to do it if the scoot starts to fall over you can pull it towards you and it will land on the side stand. Also, you do not have to balance the scoot to mount it while it is resting on the side stand. It does not take much to drop a bike so why not take all the precautions that you can?

Bill

·
Registered
427 Posts
Center stand, I don't need no stink-n center stand.

I actually like the bike better without it. No dragging in the corners, smaller chicken stripe, less weight. Now get this.

The center stand is helpful for some maintenance, but I have discovered it is a breeze to put back on for temporary work. You will need a steel rod that slides through the stand holes.

With the scooter on its side stand, lay down near the right side of the scooter on the clean concrete in your garage. Your garage is clean isn't it?

Now hold the stand (minus the stand bolt inserts) in your left hand, align up the holes with the frame holes. Slide in the steel rod, it can be loose. You will have to determine the suitablity of the rod for this purpose. I just used what I had lying around. Once the rod it completely through the stand and all frame points. Get up and go the left side of the scooter and put it on the stand as you normally do. Wha-la, nothing to it and you don't have to live with the dorque stand. Removal is even easier.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Bill-Bill reminded me of what I used to do. I saw it on YouTube. Put the side stand down then get behind the Burger and grab both pillion hand rails and push. Easy as pie. I never had a problem with the bike going the wrong way but I think that Bill-Bill's idea is probably the safest for the scooter. Just remember to keep your feet out of the way of the side stand when it settles down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Yaaaalll for the advises.
One thing for sure... I will eat more "pale face foods" like cheese sammitches to get more energy to rock it off the centerstand.
By the way I have been riding motorcycle all my life and just got into scooters.
In the last 1 and 1/2 years I went thru 3 scooters : Kymco 125, Kymco 250 and now this Burgman 400.
Love it... This is it It has everything I ever want for a scooter, bigger than that it will defeat its own purposes
Ben Pham

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
TwoWheelTim said:
Center stand, I don't need no stink-n center stand.
For those that aren't aware of the influence for that line, it took place in an old western movie, when a group gets surrounded by a bunch of Mexican bandits claiming to be "Federales" and, when asked to see their badges the leader replies, "Badges! We don't need no stinkin' badges!" That, and the ensuing shoot-out are the only part I remember. Obviously, a memorable line :lol:

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Scooter_Maniac said:
For those that aren't aware of the influence for that line, it took place in an old western movie, when a group gets surrounded by a bunch of Mexican bandits claiming to be "Federales" and, when asked to see their badges the leader replies, "Badges! We don't need no stinkin' badges!" That, and the ensuing shoot-out are the only part I remember. Obviously, a memorable line :lol:
Not from Blazing Saddles?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Mkitman said:
Scooter_Maniac said:
Not from Blazing Saddles?
1948, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is where it was first on film. It was later parodied in Blazing Saddles. I had to look it up to get the details but, knew it had an earlier origin. In 2005 the American Film Institute chose it as no. 36 of the top 100 film quotes. I had forgotten about Mel Brooks including it which, I'm sure is where most recall it from. And no, it was not 1948 when I saw it but, much later as an already old rerun. :lol:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bill-Bill said:
If it is hard to get the scoot off the center stand while straddling it,
This is the secret. When you know this, it is easy.

do this:

Bill
I hated that center stand. I only used it for servicing and over winter. We have two Burgmans, so it was twice the struggle. I would push and shove valiantly for half an hour until it finally went, bloody thing. Then I learned the secret, and now it's easy.

Grab the rear brake, grab the handrail and pull the bike forward until it comes off the stand, done. Put the side stand down first, and the bike comes to rest just like that. It's easy.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary, Alberta

·
Registered
114 Posts
When parked on a super smooth section the bike can be hard to get off the center stand. You then neen to place your foot in front of center stand when you PULL forward or note the surface & just use side stand. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
At 83 I had the same problem. On a wooden floor, the Scoot would Slide forward. I put a piece of Carpet under the scoot and still had difficulty getting it off the center stand. I used the same technique described herein, Kick Stand down, Left hand on the left Bar,covering the Brake. Right hand onto the Rear Bar.Pull forward..Still hard to remove. Then someone on this forum told me to rock the scoot. forward, back, them forward again and "VIOLA",comes off the first try, close the brake, and it leans over onto the Kick stand. It is now a normal routine and I have no more problems.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I did it by sitting on it & just rocking forward a couple of times & came right off. Wouldn't work for my 650 though unless I gained another 50 lbs. which isn't going to happen. :lol:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Spin the tire as fast as you can and rock the bike back and forth more and more until the tire makes contact with the driveway, (and your bike makes contact with the neighbors house! :p )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts