Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the planning/prep stage of a long cross country ride this summer. Even though the ride would be monumental on my 03 Burgman, this years ride will be on my Victory CCT. I know the Burgman would make the trip just fine but it simply lacks sufficient cargo space for 4 weeks of camping gear that is required to make the trip.

I am looking for those members that offer a TRAVEL STOP place to camp and if needed perhaps some minor maintenance. There is no real method of locating members that offer the TRAVEL STOP. The only way is to check previous posts or start tracking current posting for their signature block.

While I have traveled considerable distances on two wheels, I realize the success of the ride is lies more in the preparation. I try to keep my emergency stuff updated, as well as my safety gear. My safety and survival depend on how well my bike is operating (and is operated) as well as my protection if someone else makes me a target.

So, here are my questions: If I were a nubie at going cross country what equipment/prepping would ya'll recommend I do/take for a safe 7,000 mile cross country camping trip? I am looking any suggestions, tricks, convenience items, electronics, first aid items, food, camping items, and so on. My primary purpose for asking is to put together a comprehensive travel kit that I can use again and again.

Finally, here is a rough outline of my route by state....If you offer TRAVEL STOP and want to extend that information that would be greatly appreciated. Here goes:

June 20 start. Depart Worcester Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, Wheeling WV, Columbus Ohio, Indianapolis Indiana, Davenport Iowa, Lincoln Nebraska, Cheyenne Wyoming, Salt Lake City Utah, Boise Idaho, Lewiston Idaho, Yakima Wa, Seattle Wa....... Down the coast of Washington to Astoria Or, Depoe Bay Or, Coos Bay Oregon, Crescent City Ca, Eureka Ca.

My return trip will be from Eureka Ca to Grants Pass Oregon, to MCMinnville Oregon, down the Columbia River Gorge and Back to Lewiston Idaho (buying tires and oil change) on to Missoula Mt, Bozeman Mt, Yellowstone City, through Yellowstone Park, to Grand Teton park into Jackson Hole Wy. Down to Vernal Utah, to Steamboat springs Colorado and then to Denver Co, Sioux Falls SD to Oshkosh Wi. In Canada to North Bay Ontario, Montreal Quebec, then into Vermont and back home to Worcester Massachusetts.

I know this post is a tad long, but what I am looking for is a secure place to stay using TRAVEL STOP and some tips on what to take.

Any information would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Roger, that sound like a hoot. A buddy of mine and I are planning on running around the perimeter of the U.S. next year. I have a single wheel trailer that I used to tow behind my Vstrom and am going to fab up a hitch for my Burgman 650 to tow that rig. All we will have on the trailer is camping equipment, not much weight just bulky. Our plan is to stop at KOA's every few days to wash clothes although TRAVEL STOP would be neat to do as well. Good luck on your trip, I'm sure it will be a nice ride.
Greg

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
Roger, I have tools, a motorcycle jack, garage space, HUGE back yard, spare room if weather is bad, Wifi, .....

I have had another member stop by for a week. I tried to get other local riders to do a meet up but none would. So for a week Arnie (Asolof) and I did trips. He had a tire drop shipped to me so it would be on hand.

Everyone need to go here and put their input in: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/28-notices/76185-motorcycle-com-admin-please.html#post769321

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David, thank you very much for the offer. If I pass through Auburn (which I am currently planning to do) I will at least stop buy for a social call, and or pitch a rent for the evening.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Roger, I live in Bowing Green, KY. If you are coming through here, I will PM you my address and cell phone number.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Roger, Dave and any others offering Travel Stops -

How about adding your stop to the new Travel Stops map. Its address in in a sticky post found under the On the Road forum. I'd really like to see this become a useful tool for BUSA members but, that will depend completely on the data being put on it. If anyone has a stop and doesn't want to mess with the map, if you'll PM me a location and what info you'd like to appear on the location's tag, I'll do it for you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you are coming to Eureka, CA, then starting back through Oregon, you should consider riding 20 miles south of Eureka on Hwy 101 to Hwy 36, then across Hwy 36 to I-5 and north to Grants Pass. Hwy 36 is ranked in the top 10 motorcycle roads in America! I-5 north of Redding and over the Siskiyou Mountains to Grants Pass is a great ride too. Although it is freeway, it winds north along the Sacramento River then through and over the mountains to Medford and Grants Pass, OR. I live in Redding, CA and am willing to have you stop in if you like. I do my own basic maintenance, so have most of the tools you would need for an oil change, minor adjustments and air pressure check. Sounds like a great trip!

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Do you already have a Passport or Passport Card ???
The Passport Card is less expensive, & usually comes
through quicker, & is the minimum document required
for surface travel across the border....& maybe a
letter from your insurance showing 'foreign' coverage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can stay at my place in Lancaster Pa if you need to.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You need to try and add Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainier to the Bucket list as well as Yosemite which I think is in your range. - The PCH is spectacular as well but that might be a stretch.

Can't help you with camping but with gear you want technical clothes, polester layers that are easy to wash and dry really fast - stay off cottons.

Fishing shirts with big pockets are great riding shirts - holding a lot of stuff like camera etc easily accessible.
Put a dri-fast tshirt ( Old Navy has them for real cheap underneath - )

I take two of these and rotate them along with several dri-fast tshirts.

http://www.columbia.com/Men’s-PFG-Bonehead™-Long-Sleeve-Shirt/FM7120,default,pd.html

With the elevation and where you are going expect wide ranges of temperatures so polester long johns are good for warmth and for sleeping in and that extra layer when you need it.

Be very careful not to dehydrate...it's easy to do and deadly. A 20 oz Gatorade bottle fits well in the glove box. ( thanks for that tip to a rider here) Oops - no glove box on your ride - point stays tho

Ear plugs of course are a necessity but good earphones are great too.
I use Ultimate Ears and have a very thin Oxford Balaclava that keeps them in place, adds a bit of warmth if needed and is a lot easier to wash than the inside of your helmet.

There are some excellent nav apps that do not need a data connection.
I mount my iphone on the bars and it provides tunes and voice nav.

Spare key you carry and on that long a jaunt I'd have two.

Some sort of road side assistance ( AAA etc ).
Mind your tires and tire pressure - that distance you are likely to need a change.
Start with fresh and watch the pressure.

and have fun.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Roger, if you shoot down through Grand Junction, Colorado going either direction, we can put you up.

·
Registered
661 Posts
You are more than welcome to stay at my place on Whidbey Island, northwest of Seattle. You have listed the major cities/towns you plan on passing through. Are you open to some connecting rides between them on the west side of the Rockies? Seems we might have a few things in common. Have owned both a 400 and 650 Burgman and now riding a CCT. Let us know if you need/want some specific routes. Regards, Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts