Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1000 miles on my brand new (March 2020) Burgman 400. It was smooth as glass. Rear tire damaged, managed to keep enough air in it to get to the dealer, who replaced the rear tire. Since then, when cold, and occasionally when warm, at zero to 15 miles per hour the transmission pulses rapidly, seems to slip a little then catch, in fast rhythmic pulses, in about the rhythm of someone knocking on a door. Did the tech at the dealer maybe not get the belt tight enough when he reinstalled the rear wheel? Something different!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Rear wheel removal doesn't involve the CVT at all, you'd have to take a lot of stuff apart to get to that. It sounds like what many of us call "clutch judder", which is a fairly common issue on many scooters. Usually caused by glazing on the clutch pads. Try holding the brakes and rev it up briefly, so the engine revs up but the bike doesn't move. Just for a couple seconds...you don't want to smoke the clutch. Then see if that changes it in any way. If so then it's a clutch issue.

Generally to help prevent this you want to take off from a stop pretty quickly. Giving it a good amount of throttle will reduce the slip time of the clutch, as well as be more fun.

As a last resort you can open up the CVT and lightly sand the clutch pads. You'll need some special tools and a bit of ingenuity to get plastic off.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Removing the rear tire I would think has nothing to do with the transmission. This video shows you what steps to take to remove the rear wheel n the 2007 to 2016 model.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear wheel removal doesn't involve the CVT at all, you'd have to take a lot of stuff apart to get to that. It sounds like what many of us call "clutch judder", which is a fairly common issue on many scooters. Usually caused by glazing on the clutch pads. Try holding the brakes and rev it up briefly, so the engine revs up but the bike doesn't move. Just for a couple seconds...you don't want to smoke the clutch. Then see if that changes it in any way. If so then it's a clutch issue.

Generally to help prevent this you want to take off from a stop pretty quickly. Giving it a good amount of throttle will reduce the slip time of the clutch, as well as be more fun.

As a last resort you can open up the CVT and lightly sand the clutch pads. You'll need some special tools and a bit of ingenuity to get plastic off.
Thanks for the advice, I will try that. RevEdward

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
I aint no expert, but from watchin the video I got to wonderin. When Mitch tightens the axle nut, with the parking brake locked, the wheel turned, izzat right? or is parking brake kinda loose? and if that nut turns the wheel, then does that nut spin when the wheel turns?
Lastly and this may be part of the OP question, if that nut was overtighed when the tire was changed, could it cause drag that causes his change in performance? and thirdly, if this change happened after dealer changed wheel, should he take it back to the dealer to get it corrected?
And next, up on centre (speel cheker sez center is wrang) stand , does the wheel rotate at idle?

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I aint no expert, but from watchin the video I got to wonderin. When Mitch tightens the axle nut, with the parking brake locked, the wheel turned, izzat right? or is parking brake kinda loose? and if that nut turns the wheel, then does that nut spin when the wheel turns?
Lastly and this may be part of the OP question, if that nut was overtighed when the tire was changed, could it cause drag that causes his change in performance? and thirdly, if this change happened after dealer changed wheel, should he take it back to the dealer to get it corrected?
And next, up on centre (speel cheker sez center is wrang) stand , does the wheel rotate at idle?
Your spell checker is vacationing in Canada or the UK.
Good troubleshooting pointers there.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That nut turns when the wheel turns
It would have to be assembled incorrectly to interfere in any way with the wheel turning
That said, it's probably not at all unlikely the wheel was reassembled wrong.

Since we have heard from the deglazing crowd, I'll chime in for the lets-just-lett-the-clutch-break-in-crowd.
1000 miles- are you trying to baby your scooter into motion? Or are you exercising your wrist with authority?

Every 400 will go through a period of shuddering (haven't heard of one missing it yet). If you accelerate briskly on takeoff, running the revs up to 5K or so, you will eventually get past that point. A well broken in clutch will be shiny, smooth, and last pretty near forever. And it will operate smoothly.

If you go the 'deglazing' route you will wear out your clutch for little benefit and wonder why your transmission never operates smoothly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As the team says give it some beans you are riding it far too sedately. As we say in UK thrash the bullocks of it for a few miles (y) ;)
Thank you for your response. May I assume that in the UK you say "thrash the bullocks of it" (written with a British accent--can't you just hear it?) while in America we would say, "kick ass" with it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wonderful thinking, I will try that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That nut turns when the wheel turns
It would have to be assembled incorrectly to interfere in any way with the wheel turning
That said, it's probably not at all unlikely the wheel was reassembled wrong.

Since we have heard from the deglazing crowd, I'll chime in for the lets-just-lett-the-clutch-break-in-crowd.
1000 miles- are you trying to baby your scooter into motion? Or are you exercising your wrist with authority?

Every 400 will go through a period of shuddering (haven't heard of one missing it yet). If you accelerate briskly on takeoff, running the revs up to 5K or so, you will eventually get past that point. A well broken in clutch will be shiny, smooth, and last pretty near forever. And it will operate smoothly.

If you go the 'deglazing' route you will wear out your clutch for little benefit and wonder why your transmission never operates smoothly.
Yes, perhaps at 1000 miles I am too cautious! Time to cut loose!

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
I would take it back to dealer and have them do an inspection for insurance purposes.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
As some have said above, the scooter could do with a bit of a rev to "settle" things in, I have noticed after a good fast run the bike feels much smoother.
Another thing to be aware of is, like you, I had a rear wheel puncture around 1200 miles, the tyre people repaired the damage OK but on taking the tyre (Tire) off the rim also removed the factory balance weights, they then found that their motorcycle balance apparatus couldn't cope with the design of the scooter wheel, I took the wheel to a local motorcycle garage, who have a good reputation, who also confirmed their equipment couldn't fit the wheel. in the end I used "Dyna beads" (look up Mitch's video) - which have worked OK.
Maybe a check to see if the balance weights are still there may indicate another reason?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts