Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last August I bought a 13 year old (2008 k8) Burgman 400 with only 5500 miles on it. I have since put 2500 miles on it, and recently I noticed the variator assembly action has changed. It used to keep the RPM at 4000 to 5000 when doing full throttle up to 50 MPH or so and then the RPM would climb in sync with the road speed.

That has changed. Now it will do 4500 to 5500 to about 25 MPH and then quickly climbs to 6000 to 6500 RPM. It then syncs at 65 MPH road speed like before. At light throttle and low speed it acts as before and the motor lives at 4000 to 5000 RPM as before.

I love the difference, the scooter now has a lively response but I am slightly worried. Any ideas what happened or what to look for? I will be opening up the variator to de-glaze the clutch and bell, do an overall inspection and lubrication, and at least a belt change because of its age.

I have a few thoughts.
The motor was poorly broken in with too much light loading (indicated by clutch squeal and shudder) when new and under my ham handed throttle twisting I finished the break in or blew out a lot of carbon thereby pulling harder on the secondary sheave and opening it up somewhat.

The variator assembly from crankshaft to transmission input shaft needs cleaned and old lube removed and replaced with new.

The drive belt is slowly shredding on me and getting ready to break on me while I am in the center lane of a freeway in Columbus, Ohio, at rush hour.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Most likely the belt, as you're on borrowed time assuming it's original. I would just plan on replacing the belt and rollers or sliders (18gm Dr Pulley sliders are good...will give you higher rpm on takeoff and lower cruising rpm). Wouldn't hurt to disassemble the driven pulley/clutch assembly and lubricate the torque adapter and related parts if you have the tools and are feeling adventurous.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
And while we're at it, how old are the tires?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And while we're at it, how old are the tires?
All has been checked out. Back one is new, the front one is 13 years old and it's going to stay there until it wears out. No weathering, no cracks, no bulges, runs down the road with no shake, shimmy, wobble. Its appearance, and the whole machine indicates dry indoor storage. It stays.

Now before you ask, the brake master cylinders, the caliper seals, brake hoses, coolant hoses . . . they are 13 years old and show no weathering, no cracks, no bulges, no leaks, and all operate properly. What have I missed?

I do keep an eye on these things and service them as needed, but I don't buy into the OH MY GAWD! IT IS OVER X YEARS OLD! REPLACE IT OR YOU ARE GOING TO DIE! school of maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most likely the belt, as you're on borrowed time assuming it's original. I would just plan on replacing the belt and rollers or sliders (18gm Dr Pulley sliders are good...will give you higher rpm on takeoff and lower cruising rpm). Wouldn't hurt to disassemble the driven pulley/clutch assembly and lubricate the torque adapter and related parts if you have the tools and are feeling adventurous.
That is what I plan on doing. I was checking in to see if I missed anything. Doing an R&R on the works inside the variator cover is something I have done before and it is not particularly adventuresome. Now, adjusting the valve lash involving removing the cams, that's adventuresome!

I was wondering about the DR Pulley sliders. Now I know what weight to get. I will try to work that into my budget.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Yes, I'd pull the CVT apart just to see the condition of all those spinny parts. Probably the variator has belt dust in it. Check belt width.
My choice of DP sliders was 19g. Now about 40,000 miles on them, holding up well, the bike feels just right 🙂

·
Registered
1 Posts
dont know what year they changed ,but older 400s had 21g rollers i have a 2019 that had 19 g stock . i replaced with DP 19g sliders. WOW same performance with about 1200 rpm less at cruzing speed 75 mph 6400
wind resistance and me 215lbs limit top end 94 mph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts