Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear from “650” owners who have used synthetic oil in their transmissions. Brand, weight, full synthetic or blend, how many miles, results (noise reduction, clutch operation.

PLEASE NOTE:

I really do not want to start another decision on synthetic vs cruel based oils or to hear about others vehicles you have used synthetic in. I am interested in” 650 transmission use only”.

Excuse the tone of the statement above, but we have all heard the long and drawn out discussions on pro and cons of each product.

I would appreciate any of your experiences. Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Trans oil

I have used nothing but synthetic in both of our 650's for the last 2 years.
One has 8500 miles the other 4000. We use Amzoil 20/50 V twin oil in the engin 10/40 in the trans and 75/90 gear oil in the final drive. We have had no problem with anything no clutch problems or noise other than the normal. My bike has been some what more noisy from day one than the wifes but as time and miles go by it is getting better. I only use that brand because a friend is a dealer and if I were to use some othe brand it would be Mobile 1.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I am running Silkolene full synthetics in engine, transmission, and rear end (the recommended weights). I've been doing this for over 8000 miles. No detectable difference in performance, noise level, or whatever. With my V-Strom, running Silkolene full synth in the engine/transmission made shifting much smoother, but the scooter is a different beast.

I may go back to conventional oils at my next service (14,500 miles). Silkolene is much more expensive than even the motorcycle brands of conventional oil. I have a three year service contract (pre-paid maintenance) and I was specifying Silkolene and getting it for free. However, the service technician informed me last week that the service contract only covers the cost of conventional lubricants, and I would have to pay the difference in cost on subsequent oil changes if I want synthetic oils. For free, it was a no-brainer, but as long as I change the oils at the specified intervals I think the cost difference might not be justified. I could also go with synthetic in the engine, and conventional oil in the transmission and rear end. I've got about 1,000 miles of riding to do before I have to decide.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
I've been runnignAmsoil synthetic in mine for about 30,000 km now. I use 10/40 in the engine and tranny and 80/90 in the final drive. I can't say that I've noticed any difference at all. I just feel better with Amsoil.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 10-40 in the engine and Trans, and 80-90 synthetic in the final drive at 6,000 miles. I noticed the engine and drive train works less than it used to.
8,600 miles now with no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts