Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night after change engine and transmission oil saw some small pieces metal at
the edge of the trans oil level check. Get flashlight to investigate and find out thread
is worn out. Tight the bold back in look like it stay lock but oil still wet around the
edge the plug. Question ?

1 Will the bold hold in there when you drive?
2 Is there any pressure in there that would push the bold out?
3 What the best way to repaired that?

Plan to take this baby out to Mt Rushmore end of month or first week of Oct 2500 mi
plus round trip.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If it tightened up (proper torque) it should be ok, you might need a new crush/sealing washer if it's seeping. If the threads strip out there are several repair methods from a larger plug, heli coil, and Time sert.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I had a similar experience with my std 04, mine was the overflow hole, you can read all about it in this DIY:

DIY - Stripped Transmission Oil Hole

my fix was rather easy, there was enough good threads left in the back of the hole, so I just purchased a longer bolt which did the trick
and is holding well. The bolt I purchased came from Suzuki and it has a magnet inside of it.

If you have stripped your drain hole, that's a different story, the same solution might work... if not a heli-coil can do the job or you can
try to have it re-threaded for a larger size bolt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JR and LeDude I will the lowest cost first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Le Dude, as usual you have the best answers to my problems! I have just had the same experience, with the transmission oil level plug on my 2009 Burgy. And at the age of 70, it just goes to show there is always a first time for everything - I had never stripped a thread before, and have all the right tools, torque wrench etc to do the job properly.
I will be applying method (1), the longer bolt to replace the existing one. But why/how did I strip that thread in the first place? Is it going to happen again?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Possibly your torque wrench is out of calibration, it should be checked and recalibrated, especially if you are using the lower end of the scale.

For 2002 to 2012's:

Engine oil drain plug 16.5 lb/ft torque.

Transmission oil fill plug 16.5 lb/ft torque.

Transmission oil drain plug 15 lb/ft torque.

Transmission oil level plug 15 lb/ft torque.

Final gear oil fill plug 24 lb/ft torque.

Final gear oil drain plug 24 lb/ft torque.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
My service manual calls for torquing the transmission fill and level plugs to 8.5 ft lbs not the 16.5 and 15 ft lbs you show. That is what I torque them too. Have never had any problems with them leaking.

Maybe that is why I have never stripped mine out even though the level plug has been removed and replaced 36 times. I never remove the fill plug. That and I use a 1/4 inch drive inch lb torque wrench for those bolts instead of a 3/8 drive ft lb torque wrench. At those low settings the inch lb wrench is more accurate than a ft lb one. I just set it at 102 inch lbs.

·
Registered
939 Posts
My service manual calls for torquing the transmission fill and level plugs to 8.5 ft lbs not the 16.5 and 15 ft lbs you show. That is what I torque them too. Have never had any problems with them leaking.

Maybe that is why I have never stripped mine out even though the level plug has been removed and replaced 36 times. I never remove the fill plug. That and I use a 1/4 inch drive inch lb torque wrench for those bolts instead of a 3/8 drive ft lb torque wrench. At those low settings the inch lb wrench is more accurate than a ft lb one. I just set it at 102 inch lbs.
I thought the 16 was a bit much but after reading my book page 31 under spec it says 16.5

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

Buffalo that was later revised by Suzuki I would say 2006 or so, I did see it in writing on a service addendum.

Have never stripped any on either 2004, 2009, or present 2013. I also never remove the fill plug its too much of a pain, like most I use the overflow hole, often spray silicone lube on the treads before reinstalling.
8.5 ft/lb is slightly tighter than hand tight.

Presently own Craftsman 3/8'' deflection beam & needle, 3/8'' & 1/2'' electronic box units and 1/4'' & 3/8'' click type torque wrenches.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I've got copies of '03 and '11 factory service manuals and they both say the following under PERIODIC MAINTENANCE section 02.

Oil level plug:12 N·m (1.2 kgf-m, 8.5 lb-ft)
Drain plug: 12 N·m (1.2 kgf-m, 8.5 lb-ft)
Oil filler plug: 12 N·m (1.2 kgf-m, 8.5 lb-ft)

However if you look near the back of the book under SERVICING INFORMATION section 11 it states the following.

Transmission oil drain plug 21 N·m 2.1 kgf-m 15.0 lb-ft
Transmission oil filler plug 23 N·m 2.3 kgf-m 16.5 lb-ft
Transmission oil level plug 21 N·m 2.1 kgf-m 15.0 lb-ft

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
MJR all that means is that Suzuki have not updated the service manual. My 2007 service manual has the same old settings as well.

As a double check I went to see what LeDude had in his Burgman Center he also made an annotation on the new torque settings.

LeDude Burgman Center under transmission oil change:

BUSA new torque setting discussion thread

Drain Plug (15 lb-ft, 21 N-m, 2.1 kgf-m)
Filler Plug (16.5 lb-ft, 23 N-m, 2.3 kgf-m)
Level Plug (15 lb-ft, 21 N-m, 2.1 kgf-m)

However this should be double checked with Suzuki directly, not sure I would trust what a dealer would tell me anymore.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Just discovered something interesting.

On page 2-15 in the "Periodic Maintenance" section of my 05 factor service manual it says the same as MJR's manuals "Oil level plug:12 N·m (1.2 kgf-m, 8.5 lb-ft)" . However I went back to page 11-32 in the "Servicing Information" section "Tightening Torque Engine" and it shows 21 N-m, 2.1 kgf-m, 15 ft-lb for the Oil Level Plug. So the manual is not consistent.

I'm going to stick to 8.5 ft-lbs. It's worked for me for 11 years and I see no reason to change it.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Just got an email from Robin. I had her check her 08 service manual. it shows the 15 ft lb number in both sections 2 and 11.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

'' Just discovered something interesting.

On page 2-15 in the "Periodic Maintenance" section of my 05 factor service manual it says the same as MJR's manuals "Oil level plug:12 N·m (1.2 kgf-m, 8.5 lb-ft)" . However I went back to page 11-32 in the "Servicing Information" section "Tightening Torque Engine" and it shows 21 N-m, 2.1 kgf-m, 15 ft-lb for the Oil Level Plug. So the manual is not consistent.

I'm going to stick to 8.5 ft-lbs. It's worked for me for 11 years and I see no reason to change it. ''

It is just great to see that Suzuki's technical writing team are so up to date and dedicated so whole heartedly to maintaining accurate information.

As my 2013 vibrates @ 2500 - 3200 rpm's I will maintain mine at the higher torque setting, one would not want ones bolt to vibrate loose and loose oil now would one.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Burgman 650 - Updated Torque Settings from Suzuki's Technical Service department, Corrections for Page 11-32 also Page 2-15. Borrowed this from LeDude's Burgman Center, thank you LeDude for all the work and such a great reference center.

This should be added to the BKB for future reference.

Attachments

Reactions: mike D

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I was editing it as you posted Chérie.

I've got copies of '03 and '11 factory service manuals and they both say the following under PERIODIC MAINTENANCE section 02.

Oil level plug:12 N·m (1.2 kgf-m, 8.5 lb-ft)
Drain plug: 12 N·m (1.2 kgf-m, 8.5 lb-ft)
Oil filler plug: 12 N·m (1.2 kgf-m, 8.5 lb-ft)

However if you look near the back of the book under SERVICING INFORMATION section 11 it states the following.

Transmission oil drain plug 21 N·m 2.1 kgf-m 15.0 lb-ft
Transmission oil filler plug 23 N·m 2.3 kgf-m 16.5 lb-ft
Transmission oil level plug 21 N·m 2.1 kgf-m 15.0 lb-ft

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I know but this was revised by Suzuki's Technical Service as per the jpeg attachment in my previous post.

Suzuki North America simply are not very good at updating and maintaining the service manuals with all current information, it cost $$ to make changes to the master copies used for reprint later.

I wonder what 2013-2016 service manuals state ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you haven't found the part number for the bolt yet, I had the same problem a couple weeks ago ... similar thread in the 650 forum about two weeks past. The part number for the longer bolt is 09247-12106.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts