Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Burgman 650 has about 35k miles on it now and I think something doesn't sound right. Take a listen and tell me what you think. Any and all comments are appreciated.

BTW, the back wheel is not turning, the brake is set.

http://youtu.be/M_wHKkf_y3U

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Hmm hard to tell in a recording since some of the frequencies are cut out. Is it like a grinding metal on metal noise? Has it just started or has it been getting worse?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Hard to say from just listening to the video put if I had to guess I would say maybe a bearing in the CVT. Have you pulled the stopper bolt to see if it is showing any signs of excessive wear? Also pull the cover over the primary adapter bolt and check to make sure it has not come loose.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noises have always bothered me with this bike and I found a good set of ear plugs usually fixes the problem, but this one is different. I noticed it going down the road the other day and thought it sounded like a noise a tire makes when it is uneven, sort or an up and down whirring noise. But then I noticed it at a stand still. Along with that I get a burning smell, so I'm inclined to think something is wrong.

A little history might give some clues. I changed the oil last fall and only rode it about 160 miles or so and one day while it was idling on the stand I noticed it smoking from the engine area. I had noticed a few spots of oil on the floor of the garage. I checked my oil level and it was above full. So I dumped the oil from the engine and the transmission and measured each. Sure enough, I might have had 200-250 ml too much engine oil. The transmission level was right on the money, 360 ml. I put the same oil back in, not crossing one with the other. Everything seemed fine, smoking stopped, no spots on the floor. Runs great, up until my last ride last week when I noticed the noise.

300 miles or so later brings me to today. Today I checked and cleaned the CVT filter, it was fine. So I dumped the transmission fluid again, it was 20-30 ml short. I replaced it with fresh oil. I also noticed a slight leak near the exhaust, which is probably the source of the smell.

The video was taken after I did all this, sounds just like it did before. I think it's time to move things around in my garage giving me more room to do a bit more of a tear down. Either that or a trip to the Suzuki dealer to get their opinion. I stopped by to get a new CVT filter (well, that's the excuse I used for going) and I saw a 2013 white Burgman 650. Nice! But that price, $10,999!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The leak near the exhaust points to another possibility depending on exactly where it is. Look on the back side of the water pump between it and the engine. You will see a small pin hole in the pump shaft housing just before it enters into the side of the engine. Look for signs of oil around that hole. If so you may have a bearing going out on the water pump that is causing oil to leak past the seal.

If you don't know where the water pump is just follow the hoses from the radiator down to the side of the engine just in front of the CVT. That round housing about 4 inches round that the hoses attach to is the water pump.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Buffalo, going to look now!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The picture didn't make it to your post. The pump is pretty simple to remove. Just take the hoses off and let the coolant drain. Then remove the 5 screws that hold the cover on and take it off. Then pull the pump out. You may have to take the bolts that hold the floor boards to the mounts on that side out so you can raise the floorboard enough for clearance. Can't remember for sure it's been a couple of years since I removed a water pump. I do remember it didn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Once you have it out it should not be to big a problem to turn the impeller by hand and determine if it is making noise.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked Ledude's water pump videos, I think I can handle the removal. He rebuilt his because of a leak, but the bearing and impeller were ok. Did you have a bad bearing?

Not sure why the picture wouldn't show up, but the link should work. The picture just shows oil dripping off the pump.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, let me try this again.

A drop of oil was hanging from the right bolt, not very visible here, probably because I touched it. Tomorrow I remove the water pump.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Yes that looks like the seal on the water pump shaft is leaking. Whether that is the cause of the noise or not you will want to fix it. If the seal goes completely you will pump out a quart of oil in about a mile of riding.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you will need to remove the clamp that holds the emergency brake cable to gain clearance to pull the pump out. It just snaps up into a hole drilled into the frame. You can see it just above the water pump in your picture.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, finally got my garage organized so I could pull this water pump, knowing it was going to be tough to move the bike for a while after I got it apart.

I got the water pump cover off, but the pump itself doesn't want to come out. It is loose. Any tricks to getting it to move?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Are you trying to pull the impeller out. It does not come out by it's self. You pull the rear housing half and the impeller as a unit. After you have it out you can remove a C-clip on the shaft on the back side and pull the impeller out of the housing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it, it just need a little more force. Not sure if I should replace the whole thing or try to rebuild it. It might be the source of my noise, but it's not obvious. It spins and does not tick or grind, but it does not spin freely. Acts like it is tight. Pretty sure it is the source of the oil leak, I suspect an internal seal, or could it just be the o-ring?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bearing removal tool is $80 to $600 or more, I found the pump at partsoutlaw.com for $158. I suppose that's the way to go, and if that doesn't take out the noise, then I'm thinking something in the transmission or motor. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

That sound about right?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
There are two seals on the impeller shaft. One seal keeps oil from going into the water pump and the other keeps water from going into the engine. The weep hole is between those two seals so that what ever gets past them goes out through the hole.

If you pull the impeller out you can see the water seal behind it. You can't see the oil seal because the bearings are behind it on the shaft. You have to pull the water seal to get to the oil seal. That water seal is a bear to get out. The outside of it is coated with a gasket sealer before it is pressed in and that makes it hard to pull out.

The easy way out is to just replace the whole thing. But that is also the pricey way.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Bearing removal tool is $80 to $600 or more, I found the pump at partsoutlaw.com for $158. I suppose that's the way to go, and if that doesn't take out the noise, then I'm thinking something in the transmission or motor. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

That sound about right?
If you don't already have the pullers then the new pump is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your help, Buffalo, really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted about how this works.

BTW, I followed the manual and removed some of the body parts, got to the floor board and pulled it loose but did not remove it. Now that I'm about done I don't see where most of that was necessary. Not sure why they used Phillip screws and one was a bit of a pain but I have a Phillip's bit that fits a 3/8 drive socket (and extension) and I gave it a tap with an impact driver and it came right loose, even though it was at a slight angle.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Yes the manual calls for removing more bodywork than you need to.

Hope it solves you noise problem but it you are not hearing any noise in the bearings then I have my doubts. If it was leaking then it was something you needed to replace anyway.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts