Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I note that many here who have fitted a dr pully clutch and sliders experienced problems such as squealing noise. The condition of dust being blamed in most cases.
I believe that when one loads up components like faster accelerating, tighter grip by clutch ala dr pulley components then something has to give and it appears to be belt slippage. So my question is has anyone ever considered a form of coating on the aluminium pulley surfaces to improve grip especially on initial takeoff. my solution has been to go easy on revs when accelerating from a standing start. The bike is heavy so something has to give when mods have been carried out above the design envelope.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Never installed the DR pulley clutch just their sliders. I can say that taking off easy with the OEM clutch will cause it to glaze & squeal. Any coating on the pulley face will just cause more slipping & more noise. ;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I keep my bikes stock. I've seen too many cases where people "fix it till its broke"

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Muse, the squeal is the clutch pads. It's not the actual belt. Belt slippage is about zero on these bikes no matter what you do. It's a good system. That is, as long as you are not using a very worn belt. The Dr Pulley sliders do not affect the clutch. As Desert Rat mentions, move off with plenty of revs and feed in the power as you do then adjust the throttle to the speed you want once under way. It will prevent the squeal. Don't worry about the clutch, they last ages and ages.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I keep my bikes stock. I've seen too many cases where people "fix it till its broke"
60 bucks later and many many times taking the CVT apart, striping the variator nut because the sliders kept flipping. They lowered highway performance to the point it felt like the engine was lugging over 65mph. For now on I learned that Suzuki probably picked those RPMS's, those rollers for a reason and I shall not question them lol.... I will leave her stock now to so I don't break it again :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
60 bucks later and many many times taking the CVT apart, striping the variator nut because the sliders kept flipping. They lowered highway performance to the point it felt like the engine was lugging over 65mph. For now on I learned that Suzuki probably picked those RPMS's, those rollers for a reason and I shall not question them lol.... I will leave her stock now to so I don't break it again :D
Thanks. Perhaps my approach is simplistic. However I believe I paid good money for the bike's engineers to do their job and give me an optimally performing machine. If you're not happy with the performance, perhaps you should have a different bike.

P.S. Except for seats... I've never met a stock seat I liked. EVER! I still think there is a conspiracy between Corbin and the manufacturers. That rumor has been around for decades. The Burgman is perhaps the most acceptable I've tried, I can get away with an additional foam pad and backrest. But most are cr.p.

·
Registered
69 Posts
To be fair to those that are considering this mod, if you chose the recommended sliders that are 18Gr or less, highway performance wouldn't be a factor. Them flipping on you is a different issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks. Perhaps my approach is simplistic. However I believe I paid good money for the bike's engineers to do their job and give me an optimally performing machine. If you're not happy with the performance, perhaps you should have a different bike.

P.S. Except for seats... I've never met a stock seat I liked. EVER! I still think there is a conspiracy between Corbin and the manufacturers. That rumor has been around for decades. The Burgman is perhaps the most acceptable I've tried, I can get away with an additional foam pad and backrest. But most are cr.p.
Yes, I dont think I've ever had an OEM seat on any of my bikes by the time they've changed hands. Altho strangely enough, I think I can live with the Burgman seat.

But lets not forget the windshield.....horrible, horrible. Thank God Givi is around tho.

And that muffler.....heavy and makes the engine sound like a lawnmower.
Yoshimura to the rescue.

What about those chrome mirrors? Gonzo, Honda matte black Silverwings look 10x better and provide ample vision.

Kinda lazy leaving from a stop, ok but not very exciting....oh wait, Dr Pulley 16G sliders, now thats a plus!

If Suzuki or any manufacturer sold a motorcycle that was optimized to the nth degree before leaving the showroom, I'd sure like to see it.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Yeah most stock seats suck for sure lol.... Sadly though I got paranoid and tried the sliders because I was reading things here and got convinced that someone 7000rpms on the highway was going to hurt the bike, but I quickly realized why they made it run there at 75mph and shall leave it alone. I was never unhappy with the performance though, just the paranoia let me to it :D

This bike is just perfect stock and my mechanic assured me that the 7000 wasn't hurting anything and lugging this or any engine against rolling and wind resistance at higher speeds would be worse than any minor wear occurring at higher RPM's. He basically said don't ride it past or right at the red line for long periods and this thing will be running till I am tired of it.

Did all the burgmans have the adjustable backrest for the driver? I don't see how mine could move at all, but I don't have the manual either since I bought it used.

·
Registered
413 Posts
To be fair to those that are considering this mod, if you chose the recommended sliders that are 18Gr or less, highway performance wouldn't be a factor. Them flipping on you is a different issue.
I am curious as to what the 18g's would be like, but it runs strong with great passing power at the high rpm's and still gets 60mpg so I think I am just leaving mine alone.

I am curious though as to why they flipped, it was the not the same two sliders, but it the to slots in the variator where they flipped. I put a mark of paint on the top and every time it was the sliders in those two that turned over in less than 500 miles? But those ramps looked identical to the others? Would the 18g raise the RPM's on the highway up to where the rollers do now? If they do what would be the benefit to them. Just curious since you all have more experience with them than I.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a question. Suzuki spent a few million dollars designing the driveline in these scooters, and somehow another $50 is going to make it better. How?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I have a question. Suzuki spent a few million dollars designing the driveline in these scooters, and somehow another $50 is going to make it better. How?
Well, your Givi screen was an improvement over the Suzuki design wasn't it? How are you getting on with the modification to the standard air box to fit that K&N air filter you bought. And the synthetic oil you now use instead of the recommended Suzuki lubricant. Have any of these modifications improved your engine efficiency over and above Suzuki's million dollar design? :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
But lets not forget the windshield.....horrible, horrible. Thank God Givi is around tho.

And that muffler.....heavy and makes the engine sound like a lawnmower.
Yoshimura to the rescue.

What about those chrome mirrors? Gonzo, Honda matte black Silverwings look 10x better and provide ample vision.

Kinda lazy leaving from a stop, ok but not very exciting....oh wait, Dr Pulley 16G sliders, now thats a plus!
Stock Windscreen is great! Fits me fine. This is a personal comfort thing. Suzuki can't design around that.

Muffler sounds fine to me. Nice and quiet. Kept it as is.

Okay, the mirrors do look like an after thought, like they put the whole bike together and someone at Suzuki said "I think we're missing something..." But they work as well as any other mirrors I've used.

Performance from a stop, eh, it's fine. Pulls the same from 0-87, with no dips in the power curve, at all. I like that part. Nothing's free, you gain in one area, but lose in another.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yep I just put a Givi on mine, huge improvement especially for hand warmth.

Here are the results (from my log) of my 18g slider installation. I have had them for 10,000 miles now.

Installed DPS 18g sliders 3.2k work great GPS 65mph = 6k rpm. RPM below 50mph is a little higher, but acceleration is better.

I didn't notice a change in MPG, except on the highway ..
My average MPG on the highway is 67 mpg.

This thing is now a dream to ride around town or on the highway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stock Windscreen is great! Fits me fine. This is a personal comfort thing. Suzuki can't design around that.

Muffler sounds fine to me. Nice and quiet. Kept it as is.

Okay, the mirrors do look like an after thought, like they put the whole bike together and someone at Suzuki said "I think we're missing something..." But they work as well as any other mirrors I've used.

Performance from a stop, eh, it's fine. Pulls the same from 0-87, with no dips in the power curve, at all. I like that part. Nothing's free, you gain in one area, but lose in another.
Stock windscreen is great? I believe thats the 1st I've read on this forum.

Everything else you describe as being "fine" sounds uhm, fine I guess.
Some of us are looking for a little more than that.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I got a 30" Givi on my '07 650. I'd like it a lot better if it were closer to the size of the stock shield. I was thinking of cutting it down, but can't find anyone who can do it while I wait.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yes, screens are a very personal thing. One person looks for something a bit more or less than the next person. For me, at 6'2" the standard screen is perfect. I like to see over the top and it keeps the wind blast off at speed. I have handguards which negates the need for a screen to do that task for my hands. Noise is not too bad either. But someone else will think differently.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Stock windscreen is great? I believe thats the 1st I've read on this forum.

Everything else you describe as being "fine" sounds uhm, fine I guess.
Some of us are looking for a little more than that.
Call me a rebel...

But I honestly like the stock bike. The 400, especially, is a study in balance. It skirts a fine line between street-savvy scooter and highway tourer quite beautifully. But, unlike bigger bikes that have a lot of extra capacity, performance-wise, there's not a lot of leeway in its balancing act; whatever you do on one end will affect the bike in another.

A bigger screen will give better wind protection, but decrease its top end. Sliders will get you off the line quicker, but can affect the highway engine speed. A muffler might give more torque, but changes the power curve. Etc. etc. You don't get something for nothing on the 400.

And changing several of these items can give you very unpredictable results. Like I said in my original post, I've seen too many people "fix it till its broke".

So what you describe as "a little more" is actually less in my book as it detracts from the gestalt of the bike.

People write in about this mod or that every day. And thats great, have at it. I like the info. I'm just telling people a different perspective, the stock bike is perfectly fine; they're not missing out by not modifying their bike. It's a message not often said.

And as a practical matter, all those mods decrease the resale value. Take any bike to a dealer for a consignment sale, and he'll ask you to put it back to stock.

And yes, I really like the stock screen. I think it's beautiful, makes the bike very aerodynamic and it is quite comfortable.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts