Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 650 with approx. 26,000 miles. I haven't ridden it very much this season and this morning after I had let the bike warm up and started out to ride, I noticed that the bike would 'hesitate' from a dead stop while going into '1st' gear. This occured whether or not I was in manual or auto. The rpms would go up but the bike would take a second to start forward. When it did it would give a short lunge and then seemed to be fine.
The transmission oil on this bike has not been changed for quite a while. Could this be the problem, as the bike has been sitting ( until today) for a couple of months now?

Thanks

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sounds like a clutch issue to me, not "transmission" (which is just a set of reduction gears after the clutch and before the final drive).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would that account for the problem only being noticed when moving from a dead stop?

·
Premium Member
14,324 Posts
I would agree that it does sound like a clutch issue. And yes that could account for it only happening when you pull away from a stop. The only time the clutch disengages is when you drop below about 7 or 8 mph. How long has it been since you changed the engine oil. That is the oil that the clutch runs in.

There is a slight chance that it could be the CVT but I would eliminate the clutch before I started looking at the CVT.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
As Mike said the clutch would be the first place to look. As for the problem only being noticed when moving from a dead stop, well it may get worse and show more problems later if you want and see before checking.

This post is a little redundant as Craig posted while I was typing this.
I open a few posts and read them before answering them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The oil was changed less than a thousand miles ago, probably more like 700-800. Looks like a diagnostic trip to the mechanic is in my future.

Is this normally a high-end fix? We are talking a 8 year old bike with 25,00 + miles.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,324 Posts
If the problem is the clutch then it is not a big deal to work on. It is easily accessed without having to take a lot of body work off. If is basically just like the multiplate wet clutch in many motorcycles. The only thing unique about it is that it has a roller and plate assemble in it something like the variator in the 400's CVT that engages the clutch.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The local dealer is saying the repair cost would be "around" a $1,000.00. If this a realistic price? I am not in a position to do the work myself right now.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Bill,

if you are a DIYer, you can repair the clutch yourself, not a difficult project.
Takes a bit of planning and perhaps the fabrication of one special tool.
You will definitely need an impact wrench to remove the clutch nut.
And a DIY tool to compress the clutch basekt

it is not a difficult project and can be done rather quickly and easily.

check out these DIYs to see what is involved:

DIY - Clutch repair part I

DIY - Cluth repair part II[/URL

It should not take a trained mechanic more than 3-4 hours to do the job, even at $100 an hour their estimate is kind of high
your parts will run you about $200+ maybe.

good luck.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, LeDude. Unfortunately, I'm right in the middle of treatment for a herniated disk, so bending and lifting for me is a 'no go' right now. Maybe I can pick up the parts myself and talk the mech into doing the work. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Wish I were in MA, I'd do the job for you. Labor cost would be low, I'd only ask 3 Maine lobsters. Maybe there's another lobster lover on the forum who could do it while you "supervised."

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would be great. And I would up the ante to 5 lobsters, already cooked, with all the steamers and beer you could handle!!!!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have a clutch out of an 03 that had 4200 miles on it , shouldn't be a bid deal replacing it ........a couple hours tops ?

Watch LeDude's clutch video here

TheReaper!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone on the East Coast interested in buying the bike? Obviously the cost of repair would be factored into the sale price. It's in great shape otherwise.... always covered and dealer maintained.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Anyone on the East Coast interested in buying the bike? Obviously the cost of repair would be factored into the sale price. It's in great shape otherwise.... always covered and dealer maintained.
Bill the dealer that gave you a price of "around $1,000" , what did they did they say was wrong with it ? Clutch ?

Also , post some pics of your bike and what you would take for it .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pics are attached. Two of them show the only damage to the bike from when it fell over in the driveway while taking a bath.

The price they quoted was for a "clutch job" they had done about three years ago on another bike. I will be bringing the bike (riding VERY slowly) to them on Thursday if it doesn't rain here.

As far as price goes.......... I'd ask the fair market price minus $700-$1,000, covering the clutch cost to a potential buyer. Not real sure what they are going for on the East Coast as you don't see them too often.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,324 Posts
I think the price they are quoting you is for a complete clutch rebuild. Likelihood is that you don't need that. From your description you don't seem to have a slippage issue which implies that the clutch disc are OK. At 26,000 miles it would surprise me if you did.

That makes the likelihood that the problem is in the engagement portion of the clutch. Worse case replacing all the rollers and springs in that would run about $220 in parts. Even if you also need to replace all the clutch disc that would be about $250 more in parts. Unless you have some damage to major parts like the shaft, housing or hub gear set the parts cost should be $500 or less.

Having helped someone rebuild their clutch, I know it can be done by an amateur in a home shop in a couple of hours. A professional shop should be able match that. So unless their bill rate is north of $200 an hour $1,000 seems kind of high to me.

It will be interesting to see what they say after they inspect the bike.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
don't sell the scoot Bill, it is worth repairing it.

You can look for a nice independent mechanic to do the job for you for a very reasonable price.

I would offer to do it for you but alas I am across the country.

all the best....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Too bad you are so far away. My friend and I would do the job for you for parts cost and a little money to go into our farkle fund (no where near the cost you are looking at even if the parts ended up costing $500).

Surely you have an independant shop somewhere near by that can do this job for you for a lot less than you are being quoted right now. I see that you are a Patriot Guard Rider. Ask some of the guys you know in that group. In my experience members of the Patriot Guards are trustworthy and they should be aware of a good independent shop in your area. With your medical problem one or two of them might be able to help a fellow veteran out themselves. You won't know unless you ask.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd love to find an independant out here that would take the job on, but the minute I mention it's a Burgman I get a shake of the head and a "Sorry". I guess I'm gonna have to suck it up and spend the money. Can't trade, sell or swap it in this condition. I was actually going to trade it in against a N700 in the Spring!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts