Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to working on scooters and am in the process of changing all fluids. I have the factory manual (download copy)and have changed the engine oil and filter. Cleaned the air filter.....after I located that. lol. Changed the gear oil in the rear drive. What I am stumped with is locating the fill plug for the Transmission fluid. I have found the drain plug and filler level plug. Also when I drained the Transmission fluid it actually looked like Car Transmission fluid. It was red in color and looked nothing like regular motor oil. The manual calls for 10w-40 with a certain API call out. Could someone point me in the right direction of the fill plug? The copy of the manual I have isn't very legible. Do you have to remove any tupperware to access it? Thanks in advance.

This is on a k6 650.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I bought a syringe at Walmart for mixing gas but instead use it to fill the transmission thru the oil level plug. This way I don't need to remove the tupperware. Only need to remove two pieces of plastic, the maintenance cover and final drive cover. Gets the job done quick and easy.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Maybe a procedure you might want to use.

A small catsup dispenser (kind you see in restuarant that has a screw on cap and a pointed nipple). It holds just the right amount of oil. PLUS, can be used for the Final Drive oil by the same method.

Fill catsup bottle with oil, may need to cut a bit off the niple to make a wider hole, then attach a plasitc tube about a foot long (one that will fit into the LEVEL HOLE).

Note: LEVEL HOLE - Put the tube in the Level Hole and squeeze the catsup bottle to force the oil in to the transmission. Let it overfill a bit, and then let it drain until it stops flowing.

Use center stand of course to keep scooter leverl. and catch access in a pan or rag.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
A small catsup dispenser (kind you see in restuarant that has a screw on cap and a pointed nipple). It holds just the right amount of oil.
As you gently squeeze the bottle, use 2 fingers
to keep the screw-on cap held tight.
(If you could see the oil stain on the floor of my shed,
you won't ask how I know this........) :(

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
i also fill my transmission through the over flow plug instead of the fill plug. Started doing that when I had my 05. The fill plug on my 07 has never been removed.

To fill mine I use one of the old fashion oil pump cans like you see them using in the movies to lube steam locomotives.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I found this filler at WalMart a couple years ago for about $5. It mates up perfectly with the transmission filler opening, with the lip sealing around the edge while the narrow tube part goes into the opening about 1 inch. It even has measuring lines on the cup so you can add 12 oz or whatever it takes. I found that when I put in the recommended amount, it still doesn't come out of the overflow hole until I put in maybe 1oz more. Some sticks to the cup and tube, I guess.

The tip fits in the fill opening perfectly.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use the same thing that BurgPnoMan uses. It works great for the oil change and trasnsmission fluid change. I also use the fluid level hole.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
I also only use the LEVEL hole and the FILLER bolt has never been out on this 2008 650.

And with this bold and the rear final drive bolts, always remove the one you will put oil back in BEFORE, YES BEFORE, you remove the DRAIN bolt. If the filler bolt strips after you drain the fluid, your screwed!!!

I love highlighting words. :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
i also fill my transmission through the over flow plug instead of the fill plug. Started doing that when I had my 05. The fill plug on my 07 has never been removed.

To fill mine I use one of the old fashion oil pump cans like you see them using in the movies to lube steam locomotives.
This is a great tip. Thanks, Buffalo!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the red oil, I've seen full-synthetic motor oil that's dyed red although I can't remember the brand right now.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got er all done and put some miles on er this weekend. I'm having troubles parting with it. Lol. Its a pretty smooth machine. Everything works as it should. A couple more odds and ends to do and it will be ready to put up for sale. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

Thanks Craig for the tip, I've been using that pain in the butt fill port, even bought a funnel just for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts