Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 650 has 2269 miles on the odometer. I decided to change the tranny oil (nothing better to do). This is the third tranny oil change. The oil that came out of the tranny appeared to be a little cloudy. Very little metal on the magnet that is on the drain plug. The cloudy material almost looked like metal in the oil although the oil was not gritty in any way. Is this normal for the oil to look like this when drained or is there a possible problem brewing? The bike seems to run well enough. The tranny whines a little at times and at other times it doesn't . I've never owned a bike with this type of tranny before so I'm not sure of the sounds it is supposed to make as compaired to a standard tranny. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
The "cloudy" is metal shavings. Not to worry, mine had some when I did mine @ 3,000 miles. I would guess 90% of the tranny break-in is done. I have almost 9,000 miles on now, and have had no problems.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I won't worry too much about cloudy. If it was rusty red, dark black or milky white (water content) then I would be concerned. The cloudiness could be from the clutch material and not metal ...cause you know the thing slips alot when you are taking off. Whatever you do, do not put in a automotive oil that has been designed for "energy conservation" as many of the newer automotive oils are being sold as(printed on the front of the label that rates the oil as SG or SJ or SL). There are things in this oil that I've been warned about that are not good for motocycle clutches.

·
Registered
969 Posts
(Don't make me say this. :) )

Look, Ma. :D No clutch! :shock:

Suzuki oils are rather low-grade (less slippery than usual) for precisely the reason that Timothy gave. In our case though, there is no clutch, and so that particular problem doesn't exist. Don't mean to dis' ya or anything Timothy. How would you know?

Go ahead and use that fakie oil. 8)

Steve

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well, gee, Paul. Gosh that crow was tasty. Got any more? :oops: :oops:

Look, Ma. :D No brains! :wink:

Quote from Suzuki AN650 Service Manual, Page 3-39 (Engine):

NOTE:
Wipe off engine oil from the clutch drive plates with a clean rag.

Now, don't dis' me or anything. How would I know? :oops:

Steve (My face is red.)

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's OK Steve...you had me going there for a moment :oops:. I hate to think I'd give a guy some advice and not be accurate in the info. Both models have clutches but the 400's is dry. For the 650 I would still be tempted to use any dino oil so long as it's changed frequently keeping the engine clean.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
wasions said:
Well, gee, Paul. Gosh that crow was tasty. Got any more? :oops: :oops:

Look, Ma. :D No brains! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

One of the mechanics walked in just as I cracked up. He couldn't figure out what was so funny about the spreadsheet that I hastely Alt-Tabbed to before he could realize that I was Web surfing on the company computer. (Well, I am entitled to two 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch after all.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim I think you are correct on this. Although there was not a lot of material in the oil it did have a shimmer in the sunlight. This would lead me to believe that the material was infact metal particals. I hope this is just part of the break in process. Thanks to all that responded. Mark

·
Registered
611 Posts
You can change the oil in anything, drive it 10 miles, and the new oil will be a little cloudy from tiny air bubbles. The denser the oil, the longer it will suspend air bubbles. It's like shaking up an unopened bottle of shampoo. It will get cloudy looking even though there is obviously nothing in it. Now if your oil gets milky or foamy, then it's probably water contaminated, but "a little cloudy" shouldn't be a concern.

Why 3 changes in under 3,000 miles?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts