Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok reading some of the posts I see that some recommend using synthetic oil in the tranny and some not. Some say it affects the belt. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the belt a "dry belt"? so infact no oil touches it? If this is the case the use of synthetic oil in the transmission should not affect it. I know one should let the bike break in for awhile before switching to synthetics but it seems to me that if the tranny is separate from the belt there should be no slipping.
I tried to find a picture of the tranny and drive train to figure this earth shattering question but can't find one that is that detailed.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can help. Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
tranny oil

i now have 13 thousand miles on my 650 burger and as soon as it was broke in i went to amsoil synthetic in everything and have had no prolbems

·
Registered
80 Posts
DABIMF

Looks like you are right on target with you observation that the belt is dry. Page 5-13 of the service manual has a good picture of the belt and says "CVT BELT INSPECTION; Check the drive belt is free from any greasy substance ...." Think it would be tough to inspect for greasy substance if it ran through the tranny oil.

I was told when we first got the Burgy last fall by a service manager that he though he heard something about not using synthetic--last week at the same dealer a new service manager said "Why not" that he had been using synthetic oil in his bikes for years and it made them shift better. So go figure.

If anyone has actually changed their transmission oil I would like to know how much trouble and how long it took. I'm going to tackle the job in a few weeks before we start and extended tour of the USA. I had the 600 mile service done by the dealer (over $250) and right then i was going to do my routine maintenance after that

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry about this double post -- must have hit the submit button twice or something.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am a fan of synthetic oil, and have several vehicles in which I use synthetic. I decided not to use synthetic oil for my 600 mile service because it is not recommended in the owners manual and my dealer told me that mineral oil will allow better break in. I did not want to take any chances and documented my first service using all genuine recommended Suzuki products. I do plan to switch over to synthetic in the future, but at this time, I’m not sure when, as I have several thousand miles to decide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts