Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm experiencing a strange problem with my scooter. Hopefully someone has experienced this and has some idea of what to do.

Scoot is a 2005 Burg. 650 with about 83,000 miles. The scoot accelerates fine in both manual and automatic. It messes up when I have to abruptly slow down and then try to accelerate again is when the problem starts. It accelerates fine but it won't upshift in manual or automatic. I have to slow down to about 6 mph and then it "resets itself" and will shift just fine again until I have to abruptly slow down. Abruptly slow down is either hitting the brakes or just letting go of the throttle without gently slowing down.

Now if I am in manual mode and upshift to 5th and don't shift into overdrive then I don't have this problem. It only happens if the scoot goes in to overdrive.

Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Best case. you could have a pulley position sensor going bad. If you have a multi meter you can test the PPS to see how it is functioning though out it's range.

Worse case you have a bearing on the primary pulley going bad. If you have not done so, pull the stopper bolt out and check it's condition. If it is showing significant damage you are likely heading toward a total CVT failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have replaced the stopper bolt already. It had some wear but it was very light compared to some of the pictures I have seen on the forum.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Your best bet might be to pull the PPS out and test it with a multimeter. It's easy to take out, only 2 bolts hold it in and you just have to take off the right lower leg shield to gain access.

If you have to replace it, they are a bit pricey at somewhere between $160 and $200 depending on where you get it from.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Your CVT is probably having some operating issues, I think either your belt or the primary pulley are starting to have issues which probably means taking the CVT out and examining what's going on inside, especially with 83k miles on the odometer.

The primary pulley bearing could be going bad and throwing the pulley out of alignment and causing the miss shifts.

I replaced my PPS when I first started having shifitng problems at 49k miles but it didn't solve my issue as i had to rebuild my clutch.

Testing the PPS is rather easy, you can check this DIY for some help if you don't have a service manual:

DIY - PPS Diagnosis / Replacement

I would hold off on the PPS purchse / replacement, it's a $200 part that may not be at the heart of your problem even if if it is a bit off spec.
Replace it if it shows to be totally defective when you test it.

I lost all traction on my std 04 at 52k miles, I did experience a few miss shifts in auto mode prior to the failure, my belt kind of got obliterated inside the CVT at some point.

at best you just have a worn out belt that needs replacing, at worst, you may also need a new primary pulley... you won't know until you crank open the CVT.

You can check this DIY to see what's involved in getting the CVT out... DIY -CVT Repair

Also check out these threads, lots of good info in them;

CVT Belt Replace
Considering choices as CVT fails
New here CVT issues 05

I would not ride the scoot as you could be causing more damage, time to park it and figure out what's causing the problem, hopefully it's just the belt.

good luck...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Something else you may want to check is the CVT motor.
On my 07 this was the problem that occurred at 64,499 miles.
It was fairly easy to check as we just bulled it out and could detect a rough spot as we manually turned it.
I replaced the CVT motor and, as a precaution the PPS, and all is well.
I had a lot of help from MJR and you may want to look at some of his posts.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
gerenefarm said:
Hello, I'm experiencing a strange problem with my scooter. Hopefully someone has experienced this and has some idea of what to do.

Scoot is a 2005 Burg. 650 with about 83,000 miles. The scoot accelerates fine in both manual and automatic. It messes up when I have to abruptly slow down and then try to accelerate again is when the problem starts. It accelerates fine but it won't upshift in manual or automatic. I have to slow down to about 6 mph and then it "resets itself" and will shift just fine again until I have to abruptly slow down. Abruptly slow down is either hitting the brakes or just letting go of the throttle without gently slowing down.

Now if I am in manual mode and upshift to 5th and don't shift into overdrive then I don't have this problem. It only happens if the scoot goes in to overdrive.

Any help would be great.
I would for sure pull and check the CVT motor as Dave suggests if the PPS tests out ok. The CVT motor will have steps as you turn it by hand (normal) but in Dave's case you could feel one spot as it was turned that something was contacting the case inside.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
here are the service manual pages for c51 and c52 codes that show how to test the cvt motor and the PPS

c51 cvt motor circuit malfunciton:

[attachment=3:2juxz92m]c51 cvt motor circuit malfunction 01.gif[/attachment:2juxz92m]
[attachment=2:2juxz92m]c51 cvt motor circuit malfunction 02.gif[/attachment:2juxz92m]

c52 cvt pps circuit malfunction:

[attachment=1:2juxz92m]c52 cvt pps circuit malfunction 01.gif[/attachment:2juxz92m]
[attachment=0:2juxz92m]c52 cvt pps circuit malfunction 02.gif[/attachment:2juxz92m]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
LeDude said:
here are the service manual pages for c51 and c52 codes that show how to test the cvt motor and the PPS

c51 cvt motor circuit malfunciton:
Keep in mind doing resitance or voltage tests might not indicated a slight binding motor that can be felt by turning it by hand.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
MJR said:
Keep in mind doing resitance or voltage tests might not indicated a slight binding motor that can be felt by turning it by hand.
I figured one might as well go through the entire trouble shooting / testing once the unit(s) is/are out ...
I would definitely remove both units for inspection / testing....

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
gerenefarm said:

Any help would be great.
Are you in the US?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts