·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
U-Haul actually has a open low-boy trailer that has
a wheel-pocket in the front wall...

·
Registered
856 Posts
U-Haul rents what is called a ramp trailer. It is the only open trailer we rent local AND one-way, and is the popular choice for motorcycles. A majority of this fleet is equipped with the front wheel chock. Being that not all do have the chock if you want one with it request it. Being I'm a dealer and use them all the time I can tell you with or without the chock the ramp trailer works great for a Burgman. I use 4 ratchet straps hooked to the floor D-ring tie downs in the front and rear corners. Two looped over the handle bars and two on the rear tie down hooks on the bike frame. I will say we also have local only use smaller motorcycle trailers, but they are only assigned to certain locations and the ramp trailers actually provide better protection because they have higher sides than the motorcycle trailer does. For the ramp trailer you will need a vehicle with a 3,500lb hitch and of course a 4way flat lighting connector.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tsc3047 said:
U-Haul rents what is called a ramp trailer. It is the only open trailer we rent local AND one-way, and is the popular choice for motorcycles. A majority of this fleet is equipped with the front wheel chock. Being that not all do have the chock if you want one with it request it. Being I'm a dealer and use them all the time I can tell you with or without the chock the ramp trailer works great for a Burgman. I use 4 ratchet straps hooked to the floor D-ring tie downs in the front and rear corners. Two looped over the handle bars and two on the rear tie down hooks on the bike frame. I will say we also have local only use smaller motorcycle trailers, but they are only assigned to certain locations and the ramp trailers actually provide better protection because they have higher sides than the motorcycle trailer does. For the ramp trailer you will need a vehicle with a 3,500lb hitch and of course a 4way flat lighting connector.
Thanks; I reserved the motorcycle trailer. It doesn't have the chock but it does have an indentation for the front wheel.

Do you have any suggestions on how best to secure the 400? I see elsewhere that handlebar straps caused some bending on a couple of 650s.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I always use 4 ratchet straps. The key is on the front two don't over due it on the handle bars when ratcheting down. You want to just barely compress the suspension. I've towed many miles like this.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I would strongly recommend tying down at the front forks using soft ties and cam buckle straps....the forks are much stronger than the bars and won't possibly slip/bend like the bars. The cam buckle straps are virtually impossible to over-tighten like ratchet straps. Save the ratchet straps for the stack of plywood. :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 7 of 7 Posts