Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presently own a 2006 GL1800 Wing and an Aspen Classic popup motorcycle camper.

I've seen a few 650 Burgmans towing trailers at some rallies, many Harbor Freight kit trailers and even some clamshell cargo/camper trailers.

Has anyone here have any experience with the larger popups such as Bunkhouse or the Aspen classic? They usually weigh in around 325-350 lbs empty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a single wheel trailer setup that I built and have towed behind my Vstom 1000 and had no issues with it towing although the entire setup with my camping gear only weighs around 200lbs. I recently sold my Vee and bought a 09 Burgman and am going to fab up a hitch mount for the bike. I don't foresee having any issues with this either, but towing a trailer behind a Burgman 650 that weighs 325lbs empty would cause me to think long and hard about doing so only because of the weight involved. Where your Wing weigh somewhere in the 800lb range and towing a 400lb+ (loaded)
trailer might not be an issue, the Burgman weighs considerably less and stopping the entire setup may prove to be a bit much for the brakes. IMO
Greg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

The Wing is 950 lbs wet. I am 237 dry. The trailer is 400-500 lbs. Three quarter ton GVW :tongue9:. With no brakes on my trailer, not a very good idea, even if I went to the darkside :cool:

Just thought I's ask, even though I pretty much knew the answer. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Try searching BAKEISBACK's posts.
Cary has reported that lacking brakes and the increase in fuel consumption are the main drawbacks ofpulling a trailer with the Burgman.

·
Administrator
18,755 Posts
Most Burgman 650s will tip in at about 625 pounds wet, as ready to ride. Add in a riders weight and then that 325 pound trailer and I would be a bit hesitant. Going with custom brake calipers and a Darkside tire would help some but I think I would want to somehow add some brakes to the trailer.

There was a member on here that had adapted some 6 piston calipers on the front off a GSXR1300.

If theres a will, you can bet theres a way. But like Erik said, Gas mileage will also suffer.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Last year I was loaded down beyond belief. I wish I had stopped at a truck stop and got weighed. I would say I had about 400lb. It was scary at times as I could feel the trailer pushing me when I would brake. I am considering a trailer like yourself for camping, but most of them are just too heavy. Most are 300+ lb and that is not including your personal gear.

I have this crazy idea of building a small just for sleeping, but it got derailed this winter. Might get back to it this fall.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Here is my trailer loaded down. Not recommended...

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Do "they" not make electric brakes for that type wheel? I got some for a small fiberglass RV I have ('77 Trillium) electric brakes and a brake controller would be the ticket.

Nice little trailer Blake!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Though the diamond plate looks great, if weight is your concern you might consider replacing it with a Sears clamshell car-top carrier. It only adds about 15 pounds to the weight of the trailer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Her in Australia we see a lot of bikes with trailers some big ( gold wing 1800 ) some small (nifty fity scooter).The fifty cc scooter pulls large bill boards around the gold coast.The tmax 500 we bought a while back had a tow bar on it ,though i never towed any thing with it .I have seen 2 burgmans with trailers one 400 one 650 .

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The trailer only weighs about 100lb. I'm not really concerned about the weight of mine. Besides it was made for me.. and it was free. Serves its purpose very well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The mini-mate camper trailer weighs in at 265 lbs empty. Might be a better deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My brother has a Bunkhouse trailer that he tows with his Harley. It comes stock with electric/hydraulic brakes. Weighs around 325 lbs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The trailer only weighs about 100lb. I'm not really concerned about the weight of mine. Besides it was made for me.. and it was free. Serves its purpose very well.
Just as a reference what is the size of the box on your trailer ? I'm going to start mine soon thinking about 24wx48Lx16h

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
mine is 24x24x48

·
Registered
60 Posts
I designed and built a trailer for the Burgman 650. Empty trailer is 81kg, and laden for camping in comfort is 150kG (design load). It could be lightened by about 10kg if required but for the moment I keep the addition weight so it tows well unladen. Box size is 1.00m wide 2.00m long and 0.45m high. Carries tent, (could sleep 8 persons - German bike tenet that is about 12kG - two foam mattresses, camping table and 2 chairs, two burner gas stove, and two disposable gas bottle, cooking gear, bedding, clothes, and some room for more - last trip fishing gear and deck chairs.

It is fitted with override hydraulic disk brakes. Towing is a dream, hardly know that it is there.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I had to look up override brakes:

Override brakes are activated by the hitch either compressing a brake cylinder or acting on a cable system, It is a mechanical system as opposed to an electrical one.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Why don't you just try it? Ride around town with it empty. Don't be afraid, if it seems like "bad news" go home, easy.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
A teardrop trailer would be way too heavy. I t would be hard to pull, not even worrying about adding extra brakes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts