Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such an animal? Is it possible?
I did a search and couldn't find anything other than for the 650.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
There is a fellow in the Bristiol, Tenn. area
that has custom-made a hitch for a 400 for
3 or 4 people....but you have to go there,
& wait while he makes it for you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Duster, at least I know it can be done. I'm fairly handy with a welder. When I get some time (that's a good one!) I'll have to look into it.
I'd like a very small trailer just to haul some camping supplies with.
Does anyone have this fellows' name?

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
If you look at some really old threads here, Bill Meek has one
of the hitches made by this fellow. In the discussion about his trailer
& the hitch, there is mention of the fellow that fabricates 400 hitches,
& his location. Bill Meek used to be a moderator...& Mr. Magic...on this
website. He put in MANY hours keeping this site in good shape.
He was the right-hand to GreenGoose, who founded this site.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Found something to go on...
Joe Wolfe
Hickory St.
Kingsport, Tenn.
Information from old thread...
may or may not be any good

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I've seen a couple of 400s pulling trailers so I know it can be done. You will probably have to have it custom built though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I will definitely pursue this. Right now, I'm stuck in a rut money wise. or I'm thinking I would get a 650. So, a re-think is in order. Money never stays put long. Who knows what the future holds for any of us!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Burgman frames are not built to handle the additional weight of a trailer, not even a very small one. For that matter, neither are Harley Davidsons. So it gets down to an issue of "just because you can doesn't mean it's a good idea". Ya might get away with pulling a trailer but there seems to be a lot at stake if you do.

Remember that if the manufacturer says no then it also means that the warranty coverage may be denied and the insurance company may also say no.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Found something to go on...
Joe Wolfe
Hickory St.
Kingsport, Tenn.
Information from old thread...
may or may not be any good
Lately I've been thinking about how to get my bicycle too and from events on my 400.
I see that they make hitch mounted bike racks and was thinking about putting a standard hitch on + the bike rack + the 17lb bike. Not sure how much weight the hitch and rack would be. Interwebs here I come!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
This is my fav scooter trailer:

Eaglemate Motorcycle Trailers in Canada

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I agree - very cool idea!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I wonder how well it handles, being it is a rigid inline trailer. Looks very cool though.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
585 Posts
The only problem with that design is it could cause the bike to tip over at slow speed and at standstill. The attach point is high - any sideways weight transfer will be felt high up. Kind of like a passenger being off balance while you are standing still. I like the low point hitch as it doesn't transfer weight high.

FWIW I installed a trailer hitch on my 2001 Electra Glide and never had a problem while towing a 300 pound (trailer + cargo) trailer. Even taking it to and from Sturgis once and a few camping trips. I hardly knew it was there. The only 'problem' was requests from riding buddies - "can you carry this for me?"

The real question is whether the brakes can handle the additional weight. Since my Harley had excellent brakes I never worried about towing that small trailer. Riding 'ahead' of yourself also helps.

I was considering a small trailer for the Burgman for my occasional Costco run which is 55 miles one way but buying the Jetta 'cured' that need. It gets almost the same mpg and carries much more payload than the Burgman.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts