Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted some pics of my trailer hitch build for those people that were looking to make their own, modify as you like, post any questions I will be as helpful as I can.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Posted where?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't weld either,I screw the receiver tube to the mounting plate to set it up and make sure it's square and then take it to a local welder to weld it up,he charged me 35.00.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is ,the under seat frame is 1/2" OD and I am using 1/2" OD for the support rods clamping them together with 1/2" wire rope clamps approx 3" behind the main frame. So far this has proved to be a very solid connection, alternatively you could be more creative and extend the supports to the top shock mount as Denray does with their hitches.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes it is ,the under seat frame is 1/2" OD and I am using 1/2" OD for the support rods clamping them together with 1/2" wire rope clamps approx 3" behind the main frame. So far this has proved to be a very solid connection, alternatively you could be more creative and extend the supports to the top shock mount as Denray does with their hitches.
This is a neat idea Congratulations.

Are you planning on pulling a trailer or jost your cooler? I want a small trailer for my tool box and I like the way your hitch looks.

Thanx for posting.

Blakers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I built it with plans to pull a small trailer but came across the pakit rak and rivco cargo racks in my research and thought I would try that idea as well, I have a 28 qt cooler or 2 waterproof bags that fit on the rack depending on my needs.I liked the idea of an adaptable receiver type hitch as done by Joe Wolfe as opposed to a fixed type hitch as done by Denray.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I built it with plans to pull a small trailer but came across the pakit rak and rivco cargo racks in my research and thought I would try that idea as well, I have a 28 qt cooler or 2 waterproof bags that fit on the rack depending on my needs.I liked the idea of an adaptable receiver type hitch as done by Joe Wolfe as opposed to a fixed type hitch as done by Denray.
Is clearance against the rear tire an issue?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 2 1/2" clearance between the hitch and the tire, I have tested it 2 up with 25 lbs in the cooler with no issues with either the tire clearance or the rack clearance to the ground.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Hitch draw bar is bent did you find one like that or get it 'adjusted' to match the receiver?

If you did the bend, any input on how?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
What payload you do so far ?

When travel on vacation on long trip payload is 450 lbs, driver, passenger, luggage, clothing, etc. etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The draw bar is made from solid square bar cut and welded (looks bent from grinding to smooth it out) the ball platform is 1"x2"x5" solid bar, the chain loop is a 1 1/2" U bolt drilled and welded in. I think the bar was cut 60 degrees before welding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Overall payload so far I would guess at around 450 lbs , next time I do a weekend trip I may stop at the local transfer station and weigh the bike and gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts