Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of left turn traffic signals on the work that do not recognize the me and my Burgman and they don't activate the traffic lite green arrow for turning. It really sucks to have to go around. Does anyone know if the Traffic Light Control Devices they make actually work? I have heard of them working but don't know if they acutally do first hand. The most common are http://www.themirt.com/ and Green Lite Trigger at http://greenlightstuff.com/

·
Registered
427 Posts
If they are selling magnets and your area has inductor coils imbedded in the road surface then don't bother.

I turn right, then do a U turn and go on. However I have found placement of the bike within the circle/oval can be critical. Make sure you come to a stop within the circle. Some times you have to look at the lane to your right to see a depression of where the coil might be. My Burg 400 seems to catch all but one light, where my smaller scooter will not catch many.

I work in IT and have access to super strong magnets. These magnets are so strong you can't pull them directly away from a surface they are attracted to.

I did a test (after trying it on my bike with zero positive results), I put the magnet on a stick and waved, scraped, rested it on around and over the coil. Nothing, a total waste of time. Now these magnets will cause a blister if you get between them and an attractive surface, so power was not the issue.

Talk to your town manager too and see if they signals can be tuned up. This is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Good luck,

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
If you can as you pass over the imbedded coil, just step down on the centerstand with your left heel and drag it over the coil. It takes a bit of practice but it works on all the ones around here.

·
Premium Member
8,125 Posts
the front bumper on my car always turns em red, does that count ?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Move to Georgia where it is legal to "responsibly" run those suckers if they don't turn green for you! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Have you done a search on the forums here, as we have EXTENSIVELY discussed the issue a number of times.

Many areas are going away from embedded sensors (essentially a metal detector) in favor of cameras.

A lot of so called traffic control devices are a waste of money as you cannot get the magent strong enough and close enough to the road surface. Until I actually CALLED the city engineer and asked them to recalibrate a few of the lights around my area in SE Arizona, I used an old hard drive magnet on the bottom of my left boot (in the area where the arch is). Waving that strong magnet right on the road surface would always do the trick. Downside is that unless you covered it with plastic or some such material, it picked up all sorts of bits of magnetic detritus and flotsam, screws, iron containing pebbles.

I always try to avoid LEFT turns when possible as they waste fuel and time, as UPS knows.

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2010/12 ... n.fortune/

Since many places have gone to cameras (sensing motion rather than metal), my Kriss HM does the trick in getting the camera/controller attention to cycle the light.

jdlmkl said:
I have a couple of left turn traffic signals on the work that do not recognize the me and my Burgman and they don't activate the traffic lite green arrow for turning. It really sucks to have to go around. Does anyone know if the Traffic Light Control Devices they make actually work? I have heard of them working but don't know if they acutally do first hand. The most common are http://www.themirt.com/ and Green Lite Trigger at http://greenlightstuff.com/

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you have disabled the switch on your side stand, you can come to a stop, put your side stand down right on one of the black lines of the circle, and this may trigger the sensor to know you're there. Only practical if you disable the kill switch on your side stand.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
A sidestand does not contain the amount of metal required to trip a sensor. The sensors are calibrated to detect large chunks of metal, like engine blocks, transmissions, etc.

Renegade1978 said:
If you have disabled the switch on your side stand, you can come to a stop, put your side stand down right on one of the black lines of the circle, and this may trigger the sensor to know you're there. Only practical if you disable the kill switch on your side stand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TwoWheelTim said:
If they are selling magnets and your area has inductor coils imbedded in the road surface then don't bother.

I turn right, then do a U turn and go on. However I have found placement of the bike within the circle/oval can be critical. Make sure you come to a stop within the circle. Some times you have to look at the lane to your right to see a depression of where the coil might be. My Burg 400 seems to catch all but one light, where my smaller scooter will not catch many.

I work in IT and have access to super strong magnets. These magnets are so strong you can't pull them directly away from a surface they are attracted to.

I did a test (after trying it on my bike with zero positive results), I put the magnet on a stick and waved, scraped, rested it on around and over the coil. Nothing, a total waste of time. Now these magnets will cause a blister if you get between them and an attractive surface, so power was not the issue.

Talk to your town manager too and see if they signals can be tuned up. This is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Good luck,
Thanks so much for the excellent reply. I will try stopping in the center which I seldom do to avoid oils and other auto spillage, but it should give me a better chance. Thanks so much for the detail on the magnets to with a little humor. I loved it. `jd

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts