Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2500 plus miles I was averaging 61.4 MPG. I thought to myself that this is not right. Getting that kind of mileage is not helping the economy so I have traded my 2013 650 in for a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT. It will only get about half the mileage that the Burgman was getting thus I will have to buy more gasoline and in so doing I will be helping the economy (or at least the oil companies to get richer). I have enjoyed this forum very much and will miss it.
So long all,
Bill

·
Registered
630 Posts
Now that's sarcasm. Unless there's some sort of weird Scooter vs Trike thing on BUSA.

Good to see Suzuki deliver on the increased MPG claim.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Huh !!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I know someone with one of those and he wishes he got 30 MPG. With just him on it he gets high 20's as far as mileage. About what I got with my V6 Camry.

But if the thing is a hoot to ride (drive?) and don't mind the sorry MPG, what the heck. We ride for the fun of it, right?

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Well Bill, take care. We will still be here unless the current owner changes something drastically. Come back in a few weeks and give an update on how ya like it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I guess you/Dealer know about this recall?

2013 Can-Am Spyder RT and ST Recall Notice
By Byron Wilson

Monday, September 09, 2013
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has issued a recall notice for certain 2013 model year Can-Am Spyder RT and ST series motorcycles. According to the notice, “the tandem brake master cylinder manifold inlet may melt allowing the brake fluid to leak out.” There are potentially 5,042 units affected by the recall.

Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP), manufacturer of the affected models, reported three fires that could be linked to the issue in a letter written to the NHTSA, dated August 27, 2013. There have been no reported injuries stemming from the defect. BRP will notify registered owners of affected vehicles via safety recall letter. Dealers will also be notified and will be prepared to install heat shields and a heat deflector, free of charge, on affected units.

Owners may contact BRP at 1-888-638-5397 or the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 for more information. The NHTSA campaign ID number is 13V386000.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks peelbrow, I will look into the recall.

Bill

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
In 2500 plus miles I was averaging 61.4 MPG. I thought to myself that this is not right. Getting that kind of mileage is not helping the economy so I have traded my 2013 650 in for a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT. It will only get about half the mileage that the Burgman was getting thus I will have to buy more gasoline and in so doing I will be helping the economy (or at least the oil companies to get richer). I have enjoyed this forum very much and will miss it.
So long all,
Bill
:wave: Before you go , could you elaborate a little on that ? Was it the Burg , or the Can Am ? Was it a .........you don't like WHITE thing ? :D

Good luck with your new toy and let us know what you think of it from time to time .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I considered a Spyder until I talked with a dealer and a friend who bought one but didn't keep it. The fuel mileage is worse than my car. A lot of people get between 25 and 30 MPG. This was verified to me by the dealer. The dealer said that the Spyder is more accepted by the newbie because we old folks who have ridden for 30-40 years can't adjust to the bike not leaning in the curves. I had a really difficult time getting accustomed to my 4X4 ATV because it doesn't lean when I turn. It also takes up almost as much space in the garage as a small car.

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
I considered a Spyder......... Spyder is more accepted by the newbie because we old folks who have ridden for 30-40 years can't adjust to the bike not leaning in the curves. I had a really difficult time getting accustomed to my 4X4 ATV because it doesn't lean when I turn. It also takes up almost as much space in the garage as a small car.
+1, same here

·
Registered
748 Posts
Enjoy.
On a side note; What kind of person comes on here and posts something negative on somebody's exciting new toy? Sad!

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
I don't believe I was negative on the ride, if anything it was me, being too old to adapt.;)

I feel the same way about a 4 wheeler that you straddle, I feel the need to lean. Now a 3-4 wheeler like a golf cart, or side by side Mule, to me is completely a different beast.
The fact that I test drove a Spyder twice, says that I thought they were intriguing, and worth investigating, but I could not get over the no lean thing.

NO slamming (bashing) was intended.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I'm sure there are thrills to be had on a Can-Am (riding thrills, not the going-up-in-flames kind of thrills). But they will be entirely different than the two-wheel thrills we all love.

Bill - hope you have a blast (fun, not explosion) on your new ride. Do let us know how it goes for you.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't get me wrong, I love the Burgmans 400 & 650s. If I didn't I never would have bought 1 400 and 3 650s. I have been drooling over the Spyder RT for about a year and I should have gotten one when I purchased the 2013 650. I finally decided that I am not getting any younger and if I didn't get one now I never would. It is a different kind of ride but I am adapting to it. I will admit that the dealer gave me a deal that was just too hard to pass up. I will check in from time to time and let you all know how things are.

Bill

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you didn't, you may want to look into getting a service plan for the Can Am. Mileage is obvious, but what is not obvious is the extreme cost of having the required service done at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
After having 4 Burgman's you still have a lot great knowledge to pass on. ;) Make sure you stop by now & then to let us all in on some of it. Good luck with your new ride.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Absolutely please stick around here, and good luck with the non leaning thingamajig.;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Part of the deal with the dealer was a 2 year service plan and an extended 4 year warranty. Who knows what the future will bring. Maybe when Suzuki comes out with the 2014 Burgman it will be a 700 or 800cc and I might just be tempted. I will be visiting the site to keep up on all things Burgman.
Bill

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well do not hold your breath. I reckon they will never increase the engine size and I believe the power and torque are at the top end of the current ECVT design envelope - I just cannot see them investing in a redesign and rengineering of the ECVT. This is a low volume bike (in world terms) and times are just too tough. The entry of BMW into the sector will steal market share and that will outweigh any potential for market growth.

Now if they could increase the size of the wheels, revamp the suspension, do a weight reduction exercise and maybe integrate cruise control that would garner more customers.;) IMHO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts