Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll toss this one out...to you Burgmen out here, I'm an apostate. I've lost faith.

Last summer my Burgman 650 was out of reach; for the whole season, I thought...so I bought a cycle. And discovered I missed the conventional-bike format.

Moreover my riding pattern has changed. I'm no busier and have less time for longer touring. My 650 has done me well in cross-country trips...but that's not to be for the forseeable future.

So my choice is: SELL, or STORE?

I know about the value. That's not the issue. I got some serious miles out of mine; it's still going strong. But if I store it for some time...things decompose.

Better to sell it, and buy again later? Keep in mind, it's paid for; I don't need to keep insurance on it; and registration in my state is "permanent."

No costs.

Will a Burgman do okay sitting, sheltered but unused, for some years?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Gee, but I hope that you keep that Burg. I know that I have sold many a bike in my day that I oh so wish later on (like now!) that I had hung on to. My BMW R69S, my old GT750 "Waterbuffalo", my RD400 Yamahas, my Bultacos, my single cylinder Ducatis, and on and on. Maybe they wouldn't get ridden much but when they did get rode I would enjoy them more now than when I owned them I bet.

What I have now I doubt that I will ever sell. They don't take up much room and insurance here in Idaho is pretty cheap. My GL1800 Goldwing has full coverage but the other bikes are liability only and only a couple hundred dollars a years for them all. Tags are cheap too.

I almost sold or traded off my Honda PC800 two or three times and I am so glad that I never got rid of it. Might not get the miles that it once did but when I take it out....oh the memories come back so fast. I can just about retrace every mile in mind it seems. Don't want to lose that.

I hope that you find a place for it and your desire to ride it more comes back soon. Where it not sprinkling rain right now that is where you would find me. Out making some brand new memories on a spring day. Hard to beat that.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Where are you located, the weather in whatever area you live in could make a difference between storing and selling.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had a K4 Exec that sat in NZ for several years between visits as I was working in China. The scoot was parked up in garage with family. When I bought the scoot it had already been parked for some time as it had been part of a deceased estate and the original elderly male owner who had owned the scoot since new had only traveled 14K km so I can only assume that the scoot sat round for varying lengths of time. I added 12K km during the period of several years of ownership albeit those kilometers were accumulated over a total of two to three months. I traded to a new L4 which I only have managed to put 600km on as the scoot remains parked in families garage for the past year as I work in China. I also have a Super Tenere XT1200 parked in a garage in Queensland Australia which hasn't been ridden in three years too.

Given that I've five motorcycles and scoots here in China some get ridden more than others.

What can I say - I'm a serial motorcycle addict and no motorcycles were harmed in the making of this drama. LOL

I only wish I could have the time and finances to not have to work hahaha.

My advice for what it's worth is to keep the scoot - it costs you next to nothing. Trickle charger and/or disconnect battery and add some seafoam or fuel stabilizer and keep the scoot secure from both the elements and critters so you can have that pleasure when time permits to rebuild that relationship and become reacquainted.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Also, occasionally work the brakes and front suspension to keep the seals from drying out -- otherwise, what bikerdoc said.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...it's gone.

I'll probably return with another machine. Probably a 400; for the lighter weight and simplicity.

That will be far off, though.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Well, I guess you really were justpassinthru. Bet we see you sooner than later with a new avatar like whatwasithinking or imbackbaby!

All the best to you!

·
Registered
285 Posts
To me, the fun of this acute and overpowering addiction to anything on 2 wheels is the subliminal admonition to try new bikes/ scoots all of the time if possible and I follow the advice and never look back---but the great part is, is that I always have something new and shiny, with that new bike smell, a warranty, and hardly have to worry about buying new tires ever, because I sell them before that point:D

I also never have to worry if Bubba really took care of his little peach of a bike or had a 3 point hitch mounted on it to pull a single bottom plow.:rolleyes:

The nostalgia, looking back at the bikes/ scoots we should have kept is mostly dreaming and looking at the world through rose colored glasses. Truthfully, there was a reason that we got rid of all of those wonderful rides.:rolleyes:

78 bikes since 1962 and counting!:p

Sam:kermit:

·
Registered
50 Posts

Sam:kermit:[/QUOTE]
Out of all those scoots you have/had how does the 650 rank?:eek:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Gabriel, as far as scooter's go, the B650 is the class act and at least to me, does everything well.

My T-max was much faster in the twisties, handled far better and had better brakes.

My Aprilia Atlantic 500 at least to me was the epitome of beauty in a scooter and very high tech.

My 2013 Kymco Xciting 500RI ABS is a rugged, do anything type of scooter that more resembles the T-max in form and function.

The B650 is the comfortable recreational Vehicle/ motorhome of scooters.

The T-max is the Corvette of scooters.

The Atlantic 500 is the gorgeous and expensive to keep, hot Italian Model.

The Kymco is under rated, beautiful and utilitarian compared to the others.

My 2012 B650 Executive rules!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
To me, the fun of this acute and overpowering addiction to anything on 2 wheels is the subliminal admonition to try new bikes/ scoots all of the time if possible and I follow the advice and never look back---but the great part is, is that I always have something new and shiny, with that new bike smell, a warranty, and hardly have to worry about buying new tires ever, because I sell them before that point:D

I also never have to worry if Bubba really took care of his little peach of a bike or had a 3 point hitch mounted on it to pull a single bottom plow.:rolleyes:

The nostalgia, looking back at the bikes/ scoots we should have kept is mostly dreaming and looking at the world through rose colored glasses. Truthfully, there was a reason that we got rid of all of those wonderful rides.:rolleyes:

Porky, given the admonition in your signature (John 3:16), surely, to maintain consistency, it would have been wiser to retain those bikes you have sold, for use in your later (eternal) life. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts