Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked if my Burgman breaks down it can be towed to the dealer. I was wondering how a towtruck hauls a scooter/motorcycle?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You generally need a flatbed truck or a pick up truck with a ramp. Most MC shops have one.

The large flatbed tow trucks can do them, but they're expensive.

·
Administrator
18,742 Posts
You can not tow a scooter with the rear wheel on the ground spinning. Most tow companys will have a flat bead roll back truck and use what is called "Canyon Dancers" straps to tie it down.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Yep had mine towed recently, flatbed, which tilts down to create a ramp you drive on, they lift It, level with you on it,then roll forward, tie it down
Reverse to unload, don't hit the front break as you roll off or you'll go down.

AMA roadside recovery covered it , up to 35 miles. No cost

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yep had mine towed recently, flatbed, which tilts down to create a ramp you drive on, they lift It, level with you on it,then roll forward, tie it down
Reverse to unload, don't hit the front break as you roll off or you'll go down.

AMA roadside recovery covered it , up to 35 miles. No cost
My biggest problem with the large tilt flatbeds are if I could ride my motorcycle up the ramp then I wouldn't need the flatbed.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
You own a Burgman odds of needing a tow are slim & slimmer. ;)

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
My biggest problem with the large tilt flatbeds are if I could ride my motorcycle up the ramp then I wouldn't need the flatbed.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky
Well if the issue is the wheels won't turn your correct, in my case we pushed it up till the back wheel was just on the flatbed. Not hard with two of us.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Most tow truck companies are not set up for motorcycle recovery. But if you have AMA coverage, they will send a truck that is. Membership has many advantages.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most tow truck companies are not set up for motorcycle recovery. But if you have AMA coverage, they will send a truck that is. Membership has many advantages.

Well that's what I was going for since the AMA is much cheaper than my insurance company covering a motorcycle tow.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good idea to carry your own loop straps to secure bike from off the front triple tree and rear. Otherwise, most tow companies use a canyon dancer which can be over torqued and bend the handle bars.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Good idea to carry your own loop straps to secure bike from off the front triple tree and rear. Otherwise, most tow companies use a canyon dancer which can be over torqued and bend the handle bars.
If the towing company screws up your motorcycle, they'll cover the repair. I had some guy drop it on its side on the flatbed truck, breaking the windshield, and the left brake lever and footpeg. The shop to which it was towed took care of the whole thing.

Do NOT climb on the flatbed to help. If you do, any problems will be blamed on you.

·
Administrator
18,742 Posts
Well that's what I was going for since the AMA is much cheaper than my insurance company covering a motorcycle tow.
More than you know. Every time you get towed on your insurance company's dime, it is a claim and can be used to raise your rates.

I had Allstate Motor Club for 28 years with not one problem till Dec 7th 2010 when they refused to tow my bike and left me having to call for an impound and storage tow company. I have been with AMA going on 4 years now.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'd been with Allstate since I was a kid living at Mom & Dad's house. Cost for insurance seemed reasonable. Then one year I went to renew and they wanted $800/year. I figured there was a clerical error someplace; I'd had no incidents at all up to that point and it was even the same motorcycle, so why ask an extra $500? But it turned out to be true. "And how would you like to pay for this, sir?" "Not at all," I cheerfully replied and from that point on I've been with Geico who was asking $100 LESS than Allstate had charged me the previous year!

At this point I've dealt with Geico through two claims (neither were my fault - one motorcycle and one auto incident) and they were actually reasonable then too.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just paid mine with State Farm and it was 108$ for a year.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Mine runs $195 a year, but that's got Comprehensive/Collision too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts