Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the unfortunate experience of having my Burg 400 towed from Sacramento CA to my home about 50 miles away. After the breakdown, I called my cycle insurance Roadside Assistance service and they contacted a West Sacramento tow company who dispatched a tow truck.

The truck was not the flatbed type that I had expected and I questioned the driver about using the wrecker type truck. He assured me that it was fine and that he had two Harleys that he had towed with that very truck. He seemed truthful and I felt assured that it was okay.

After a long and very bouncy drive to my home and my scooter was back in its garage I was relieved to be home. A few days later I found a dealer and bought a new battery and installed it in my scooter. Yesterday, I was finally able to take it for a test ride.

I immediately noticed that the mirrors were not aimed properly – they were both facing upwards exactly the same.. I figured that the straps that had been used on the handlebars to lift the scooter up on the tow truck had misaligned the mirrors.

Next, I realized that the handlebars were now higher than they were before it was towed. And then after I started the bike and let it idle, it vibrated incredibly bad – much more severe than normal vibration at idle. I rode off and the vibrated eased up to a reasonable level.

Today I was able to inspect what I could on the bike. Besides what I have described above, the top handlebar clamp seemed to be lifted up on one side; the rear brake line has slightly separated from the fitting; the front tire & fender now seems to be closer to the radiator; and there is an impact mark on the underside of the dashboard shade where my RAM mount ball that is mounted on top of the plastic handlebar cover was forced upward 3-1/2 inches into the shade.

At the suggestion of fellow member Daboo, I called the insurance company and reported the incident. They then contacted the tow company who then called me. Both said that they would investigate my claim and let me know what, if anything, they will do to resolve this matter.

I would suggest to all fellow BUSA members that if they have ever need a tow for their scooter, they should insist a flatbed or trailer type tow if at all possible. :(

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hauling a Harley is an entirely different matter, the frame is exposed, no tupperware in the way. I recently had a bad experience shipping a Majesty by a guy who transports big bikes all the time so a 'little scooter' is nothing in his view. Of course he cracked the front fairing 'cause he didn't have the common sense God gave a mule and then lied about it. There's too much plastic on these things to just hoist them up any old way and bounce them all the way home. Agree with the flatbed. Hope they take care of it, they should with the insurance company involved. I would really give it a very good going over to look for additional damage not visible on the exterior side of the plastic.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Sorry to hear about your very bad experience with that "tow truck"...BUT last year - my scooter's tranny crapped out (my fault!) and called for a tow job too.....!!
the tow truch was equipped with a "cross member" with a track to push the scoot on....and the "wings" were used to tie down both wheels...! And secure them.! and it was tied via THE 2 TIE-DOWNS AT THE REAR SIDES OF THE bURGIE..... No Damage at all.!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Minus the Thank you! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The best thing however is to keep battery charged, that was the main lesson of the story, was it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In an ideal world it would be the solution to keep the battery charged.

But sometimes there are circumstances beyond one's control - see my post "Battery Replacement Time?" in the 2007+ Section.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had to tow my bike a couple of times, and in both instances, I used 4 cargo straps. One each on either side in the back at the passenger rail and one each up front at the handlebars. I did this with the side stand down. Worked fine, BUT! Make sure you're the one who either approves or helps cinch the tie downs because only you care how it is finally secured!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last and only time that one of my bikes was "towed" was 22 years ago. It was a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 600 that quit running for no apparent reason. The dealer immediately sent out a truck and motorcycle trailer to pick me & my bike up. He used the tie downs like you describe and trailered the bike to the dealership for repairs.

During this recent incident, no trailer or flatbed responded. Instead it was a tow truck with a hook type lift. The guy tied straps on the handlebars and to the passenger handles on my Burg and lifted it up that way. Then he placed he lower lifts under the tires of my Burg to give support from the bottom and tied the wheels down to the truck's support apparatus.

I will never allow that type of "towing" to happen again. At this time I do not yet know the extent of damage to my bike. The tow company has denied liability, so the insurance company is sending an "inspector" to my house on Friday to examine my bike. The saga continues..........

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I haven't had an occasion to tow my bike...yet. Does anybody have any experience with whatever service AMA uses?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I first thought about calling them as I am an AMA member. But I did not have my current AMA card with me - I inadvertently put the expired one back in my wallet and the new one in my AMA file folder at home.

Their brochure states that they will send out a "vehicle equipped to handle a motorcycle" and their tow limit is 35 miles and additional tow mileage at Member's expense.

Later, I found out that you don't have to have your current card with you because they can look up your current membership when you call their Roadside Assistance 800 number. That's who I plan to call if I ever get stranded again and need roadside assistance.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
From what I understand, whether you call AAA, AMA, or whoever, an operator looks up a list of the independent tow vehicle operators in the area and dispatches one to you. In other words, for a family of four, you can pay AAA $210 ** or pay AMA $49 for their membership and get the Roadside Assistance for "free" if you auto-renew. In each case, the person you call to get a tow vehicle sent to you, calls the same tow vehicle businesses. So you might see Joe's Towing work a client for GEICO, then AMA, then AAA. The only difference to him, is who he bills.

** Price based on AAA Plus RV at $125, plus $17 for the first associate. The third and fourth associates are priced at $34 each. AAA Classic technically only covers motorcycles for "motorcycles are eligible for locksmith and fuel delivery services only". It isn't till you pay for AAA Plus RV, that you get towing for a motorcycle. https://www.aaawa.com/automotive/emerge ... elines.asp

Chris

·
Administrator
18,385 Posts
Three years paid up front and with auto-renew with AMA is $79 for the whole family. :cheers:

My Allstate Motor Club, who refused to tow me after my last accedent was $84 a year and I had been a member sence 1975. I am no longer a member of anything Allstate. If I could I would take all my Craftsman tools back to Sears and stuff them where the sun....... I know Sears and Allstate are not connected anymore but they were back then.

When my Legacy Turbo wagons transmision went spluuuush, I called AMA, talked to a man with a mid west american accent, gave then the info of where I was and type of vechile. Now mind you, WE were 25 miles out in the sticks and it took 45 minuits for them to show up.

With Allstate, after talking with "Hi, My name is Peggy" with an EAST INDIAN accent for over 90 minuits on three calls, they refused to tow my wrecked bike. Her manager, Peggy, also with the same accent, said she could not help me any longer and hung up on me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area there were a couple of tow companies that were specifically for motorcycle tows. But they don't go out as far as Sacramento where I got stranded.

I hope that if a motorcyclist calls AMA for Roadside Assistance, that the call taker at AMA has enough sense that when they call the various tow services where their member is stranded, that they ask for a motorcycle friendly vehicle to do the tow.

My friendly GEICO Roadside Assistant did not do that for me so now I'm having to go through a big hassle regarding possibly damage to my Burg. The West Sacramento tow company (Dollar Tow) is denying liability for any damage to my scooter.

My AAA Plus membership does not cover motorcycles at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts