Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get my 2005 650 out of a no-park zone on New Years Eve, my bike was moved across the road by a tow truck driver rather than towing the bike.

At the time, the steering lock was engaged, with the handlebars locked to the far left.

At this stage the bike is in the repair shop. I don't know if the tow truck driver used something to jam into the ignition to dis-engage the steering lock or if he just yanked the handlebars back to a center position.

Is this a big job? The bike can't be switched on (powered up) and the key won't turn left or right inside the ignition.

Is it a matter of just replacing the key barrel?

Frustrating end to a strange year. And the bike is now a year older, making it a write-off risk in favour of a newer bike.

·
Administrator
20,190 Posts
Inside the barrel of the ignition switch is the tumblers that except or reject the key. Right after the tumblers is a 'Pot' white metal thin rod that goes back to the steering lock pin. After that, way in the back is the electrical box that is the ignition switch. So ih the tow truck driver jambed a large screw driver in with a hammer I bet he crushed the key tumblers and snapped that thin hollow rod. You are looking at a complete new lock set, Ignition/glovebox/gas cap and Immoblizer system that may need a new ECM computer for the immoblizer

Me thinks that that tow drivers insurance is in jeopardy of making it right.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dave J., thanks.

My mechanic is concerned that the bike's age (2005) may make it a Statutory Write-Off. I'm not ready to give it up yet.

My mechanic also said parts coming from Suzuki Japan are taking up to 6 months to arrive at present, due to Covid.

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
I think I’d look for another same year B650 running or not and bill the towing company for a New Ignition. Ignitions aren’t cheap.

·
Administrator
20,190 Posts
Can the Immoblizer system be removed from the bad lock?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dave J., thanks.

My mechanic is concerned that the bike's age (2005) may make it a Statutory Write-Off. I'm not ready to give it up yet.

My mechanic also said parts coming from Suzuki Japan are taking up to 6 months to arrive at present, due to Covid.
I had to order a part not available in the US for my 650. Used a parts supplier in South America (through Ebay) who said I could get it from Japan if I used UPS instead of Japan post. Over twice the regular shipping cost... but I received the part in less than a week. I'm not sure there is an alternative as all US suppliers did not carry the item.

·
Administrator
20,190 Posts
Nite-timer, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I will. How do I do that?

·
Administrator
20,190 Posts
Hover over my Avatar on the left and there is a 'Message' button.

Or on the right top is a box with your N. Click on it and start a conversation.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave J., thanks - I'll send you a message shortly. I'm currently 'on hold' at the insurance company's phone lines. My mechanic has been informed by Suzuki that the ignition keyhole set is no longer available as a spare part for a 2005 Burgman like mine. The bike's a write-off, it seems.

·
Administrator
20,190 Posts
Does the 2005 650 in OZ have the Immobilizer system?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the 2lity of 005 650 in OZ have the Immobilizer system?
It has a steering lock, which places the handlebars to the far left. So, if the bike is moved, it only turns in anti-clockwise circles.

There is also the brake lock lever which grips the back wheel and prevents any roll.

I'm not sure about the immobilizer or exactly what that is.

Suzuki bikes seem to live forever. It's a pity that the availability of spare parts can ruin that.

My mechanic told me one bike he worked on (I'm not sure which brand) had to be declared an un-repairable write-off simply due to a rear-view mirror no longer being available in the parts catalog.

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
The Immobilizer is a part of the Electronic Brain in the electronics that some B650’s have...it’s an anti-theft device.

We here in the US don’t have it....ask your mechanic if you do.

If not here you go...

·
Premium Member
12,673 Posts
Dave J., thanks - I'll send you a message shortly. I'm currently 'on hold' at the insurance company's phone lines. My mechanic has been informed by Suzuki that the ignition keyhole set is no longer available as a spare part for a 2005 Burgman like mine. The bike's a write-off, it seems.
Oh,,,, DARNIT!!! You'll hafta get a new 2019 now, Shucks!

·
Administrator
20,190 Posts
Night-timer,

I was thinking if I had a 'Postal Locator' near you in OZ I might send you a used ignition housing, gas cap and glovebox set. It only has 1 key but a blank can be cut if you do not have 'Immoblizer' . Shipping costs is the question....

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
20,190 Posts
I'll box it up and see how much postage is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts