Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the tow pac, and if so how has it affected your mileage, power, or any other aspect of things?

I'm not sure my wife will be able to get on our 650. She is heavier set and broke her hip a couple years ago. While not correct, she may have to get on while on the center stand and slide to the back. We attempted that once, but it was in the yard and rather hard to get off the center stand. Then we had to turn to get out of the driveway, and as it was a little shaky, she got nervous. So that ended quickly and we will go to a school parking lot to practivce things, if she can get and stay on it. If not, we will eventually have to go to the towpac option, as she doesn't want a side car.

Any comments appreciated.

Live to ride, but ride to live (saftey first)

camrakid

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
camrakid said:
While not correct, she may have to get on while on the center stand and slide to the back. We attempted that once, but it was in the yard and rather hard to get off the center stand.
Let her try getting on the rider's seat and sliding back with the Burgman on it's side stand. Just make sure the bike is on solid ground and the parking brake is on so the bike doesn't roll forward. Then you step thru and sit on the rider's seat, bring the bike upright, start the engine, release the brake and twist and go.
My wife has had two hip operations and has an artificial right hip so I know the problem you have. My wife uses the technique I just described to get on our 650 and it works fine for her. Just make sure you are on firm ground and have that brake on. The side stand will support the bike with a passenger on it.
Don

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
getting on

Thanks. I thought about hat too, but wasn't sure if it woudl support it. But then that's how she got off it so obviously it should work. I really wouldn't want to go to the towpac as it seams like it would take away from the motorcyle effect of riding. I'm confident that with a little prcatice and being on solid ground it will help.

Anyone know what the brake on the right side (park brake maybe) is for. Ok I'm sure it is in the manual but I just haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: getting on

camrakid said:
Anyone know what the brake on the right side (park brake maybe) is for....
DonRich90 said:
Just make sure the bike is on solid ground and the parking brake is on so the bike doesn't roll forward.
The Burgmans have automatic trannys, which are disengaged when idling or parked. Unlike a regular bike that is left "in gear" when parked, there is nothing to prevent the Burgmans from rolling if you don't set the parking brake.

If you park facing down hill and don't set the brake, gravity could cause it to roll forward and fold up the side stand. Crunch!

Also, if you put the 650s on the center stand with the engine running, the rear wheel will usually spin and the speedo will read 3 - 5MPH. If you set the P-brake the rear wheel won't spin.

Get in the habit of ALWAYS setting the P-brake before you dismount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts