Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
508 Posts
Ya know, Lapine Rider can just, plain WRITE. Gosh, it's bracing -- balm to an old English major's soul.

Would this be a general "here's how you do it" FAQ on touring? Or intended specifically to address that nagging doubt about whether a 400 has enough power to tour?

I'm in favor of using it, BTW. It's far too good to waste.

--Chris

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Just for your info, Lapine Rider IS a writer and went up to Canada to teach new aspiring writers some of the tricks of the trade while at a conference.

As good as it is, dunno if it would qualify as a 'frequently asked question' but could easily be used within another topic about the 400 touring capabilities. With two 1000+ mile treks this month, I aught to be able to add more... if I could write worth a ****. :?

·
Banned
4,919 Posts
Chris - I agree - some of us, like me, can't write worth a lick. It is so nice to read Lampine's work.

I have no opine on Stu's (here) suggestion btw - just thought I'd add praise for Lampine's very tangible gift.

·
Banned
508 Posts
billmeek said:
... dunno if it would qualify as a 'frequently asked question' but could easily be used within another topic about the 400 touring capabilities.
Bill, I can testify it's at least a "sometimes-asked question." I have answered it myself more than a few times on the Newbie forum, especially after I did a 1,000-mile vacation on my beloved 400 in '05, and therefore could speak from experience. You know how it is -- people who ride big-displacement machines don't believe that a 400 can keep up on a tour. Poor, benighted souls fail to grasp the beauty of CVT!!

--Chris

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
As it stands alone, don't think it's a FAQ .... but certainly should be used in a Touring FAQ. Matter of fact, just got off the phone with Lapine Rider and subtlety hinted (aka outright asked) about having him write a touring FAQ. Going riding tomorrow with him and will hint (aka dire threats) that we need it written by him.

He's also agreed to help with a couple of other 400 FAQs since they're a little sparse in the 400 section.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Ok... had my head up my butt and was thinking it was referring to the Canada trip report. :oops: I therefore retract my earlier statements. Have too much other stuff going on right now.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Just called him (again) and explained the mixup on my part. We decided to discuss it tomorrow and see if there's any tweeks that need to be added. We already came up with one.... mentioning the topbox.

·
Banned
508 Posts
May I make two minor suggestions?

#1: Suggest carrying a first-aid kit.

#2: Under 'gear', it could also mention that some tourers find radios almost indispensible, for either rider-to-passenger chat or between riders in a group.

Make no mistake, this is lovely work. Not too long, on a topic that's ripe for over-exposition. Hits the important stuff beautifully, IMO.

--Chris

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
1. Unless you wreck, you don't need a first aid kit while riding do you? That;s one of the items I never carry on the bike since I can pickup most of the contents at any store.

2. Lapine Rider stated "What suits one tourer perfectly will make another miserable. " He clearly falls into the "no comms, radio, cd ,xm or other distraction" group

·
Banned
4,919 Posts
Another excellent piece of work from our friend Lampine!

:thumbright:

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
I carry a stop and go kit and a small air compressor. Learned the hard way that I need to carry them. :(

·
Banned
4,919 Posts
Well, urm, at the risk of marginalizing Lampine's fine style... my only input would be to replace the underline _empasis_ style with a more readable italic or bold where needed.

The underscore emphasis distracts my eye a wee bit.

my oh2.

·
Banned
4,919 Posts
OK - when and where will this be posted? Just curious...

Seems too good to just sit and collect dust. Erm - well - is it already published and I am just too blind to see it? :)

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
CRAP! Thought I had already moved it. Thanks for the heads up Pete. Will move the new version and tweek the entry a bit.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Post (second revision) split out from the thread here, underlines replaced with bold or italics, credit added at top, moved to the General FAQ forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts