Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a serious case of cabin fever.

I have been treating this illness by watching all the scooter and motorcycle camping videos I can find on YouTube.

I eagerly await the time when the weather reaches the point I can comfortably camp and intend to start hitting the road on my 05 Burg 400.

So my question is three parts.

First, what kind of service should I have done to the bike before I start getting too far out?

Secondly, what kind of tools and parts should I keep on hand while on the road?

Thirdly, what are your favorite accessories for the bike for longer rides?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Tires, wheel bearings and brakes ....you don’t want to be trapped into paying retail for these plus shop charges .

When was the last time you serviced your Drive Belt and Clutch ?

Fluid and Filters if needed.

Battery Test at an Auto Parts Store.

Spare Key

A membership to American Motorcycle Association Road Side Service

Download the Google Maps of planned route.

Leave your planned route with a friend with predetermined update calls.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Make sure you have enough tread on your tires. Nothing ruins a trip more then trying to find a motorcycle shop that might have a tire in your size. That happened to me the Memorial Day weekend. Could have been stranded 3 days. If you did all the maintenance on your bike I would just carry a tire plug kit and a air compressor just in case of a flat.

·
Registered
255 Posts
A membership to American Motorcycle Association Road Side Service

Download the Google Maps of planned route.

Leave your planned route with a friend with predetermined update calls.
Couple thoughts I'll add, and a question:

1) I also try to get a PRINTED atlas/map just in case my phone dies. I've actually seen people get completely screwed because their phone died and they couldn't even read a map when someone tried to help them out. Don't be that guy. And you can get an atlas at Walmart for like $20. Just cut out the pages you need, fold them up, and stuff them in the glovebox or something.

2) There are a couple apps you can use (if you have a battery lead run for your phone), where someone could actually track you live. ESPECIALLY if you are going to be riding alone, make sure someone knows your route, where you should be, and when you should be there.

As for the question, Right now, I'm paying a bunch extra for the AAA plus RV PLUS so I get Motorcycle towing. Is the AMA a better value? (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Right now, I'm paying a bunch extra for the AAA plus RV PLUS so I get Motorcycle towing. Is the AMA a better value? (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread)

I too am paying for the extended Triple A Service but will be moving to AMA when my membership dues come due.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now, I'm paying a bunch extra for the AAA plus RV PLUS so I get Motorcycle towing. Is the AMA a better value? (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread)
I was wondering the same.

I was planning on getting roadside through my regular insurance. I haven't gotten a quote yet, but I feel like the AMA may be better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
[

As for the question, Right now, I'm paying a bunch extra for the AAA plus RV PLUS so I get Motorcycle towing. Is the AMA a better value? (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread)
[/QUOTE]

I also have the AAA RV Plus because I have, you guessed it, an RV. The motorcycle coverage is a major plus. I'll stick with the AAA because I use their TripTic site a lot. Also I've used some or the travel discounts for camping sites etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts