Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you put a motorcycle tour together for yourself, and then you arrive at your destination it decides it's going to rain hard for the next five days, do you still go out and sightseeing in the pouring rain or do you close her up in a hotel??

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You're coming California right? No need to worry about it. We only get a few real rainy days a year and those are usually Jan-Mar. Plus we're in a drought this year.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I live in Florida where it rains pretty much every day during the summertime (which lasts from April-October) but it's been a good thirty years since I've seen five straight days of solid rain. It'll rain for an hour or two and then clear up. I'm a commuter, so I'm quite familiar with riding in the rain - the rain itself isn't an issue. But driving along unfamiliar twisty mountain roads in a pounding rain isn't my idea of a good (or safe) time, so I'll hang around the cabin instead. Breaking down far from home is a terrible drag, but it's a walk in the park compared to going to the hospital far from home.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Solid rain is rarely wide spread - I have many times switched plans based on the radar and run to the sun.
Showers??? who cares -

·
Registered
18 Posts
Depends what you feel like putting up with, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Probably depends on whether I'm riding solo or 2 up. My wife would choose the dry hotel room where I would ride.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ah yes sorry men I was thinking of old England lol...you are right it seldom rains 5 days in a row like that thank goodness.

Liamjs... Unfortunately I'm not going to make the beautiful state of cal, I need more time but well worth reviewing I am going to eventually but I'm looking 3 days of hard riding each way.
I'm planning for Ozark mountains for now this year as it's fairly local at 525 miles from here.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Best is to have a secondary route planned - for instance if the Ozarks are soggy - Pennsylvania may be fine and you certainly can have fun there.
I use the national radar to plot riding times and routes.

For instance we were heading to the Catskills and then saw the radar plot and shifted to Penn and had a fine ride while 300 miles east it was a deluge that would have outright dangerous to ride in.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
I would have no problem doing a 300 mile trip in rain and some wind but I would NOT do a group ride in it. I can control what goes on around me, some what, but with a bunch of riders that do not ride in the rain as much as me would not be fun.

·
Registered
220 Posts
At 68 and have been riding for some 48 years I can take it or leave it, if were looking at rain, forget it. We look at the weather before we head out and make our decisions before we leave home, I would think the weather person couldn't miss forecasting 4-5 days of rain. Since I mainly ride dual sport bikes and in the 650 class I usually trailer my bike to an area and ride out of that area for 3-5 days and then trailer back home, this pretty much takes care of the bad weather. I didn't purchase my Burgman as a touring ride, just a day ride scooter, but I would probably trailer the Burgman if I was going to a area to ride. I have personally found that I enjoy meeting new riders and setting around and talking with them over good food and coffee, what could be better, so setting around on a rainy day can have its advantages.

John

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
This pic is of member Aslof's from NJ and my bike during his around the USA tour in 2011. If we did not ridden in the rain and wind, he would have never made it home. click on pic.

Picture 007.jpg

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
When touring 3-5 day if have itinerary ride in almost anything except if road have snow or ice. Always extremely cautious before because afraid cager not see me sufficiently in rain, rain suit for purchase in past always black with a little reflective stripping.

Now not worry anymore as impossible to miss me as me light up the road. :D . . . :cool:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
For you guys that live in the south where studded tires don't cut deep channels in the roadbed you have no idea how bad it can get. I used to work second shift years ago. In Washington State the weather man can tell you there's a zero percent of rain - don't believe him! I've had to ride home on I5 more than once in the dark. Wet asphalt pavement doesn't show up very well even with the passing lights on. Hydroplaning on a MC isn't my idea of fun. You are basically driving right next to a pair of creeks - some times 3" or more deep. Its the only time I ride the oil line. And only in heavy traffic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts