Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried Cortech Saddlebags ? I purchased a set yesterday from local Suzuki dealer

They send coupon worth 10% off of all of there accessories so I though if I wanted a set, now was the time to do it !

Would rather have hard cases, but since no one makes mounts & prices are so much higher my wants will have to wait

I did not purchase tail bag simply because I will have wife w/me on any tours that I take & theres only room for one. If I ever go on a long tour by myself I can always add this option.

These bags are made of heavy nylon, come w/rain covers, velcro fastners, heat shields on bottom, 2 zip up compartments on outside of main bag, & reflective stripes for visibility. Also have neoprene liner behind bag to prevent damaging painted surfaces. They each hold 20 litres of cargo.

You may view these bags at http://www.tourmaster.com. The model # is 82-416 & for matching tail bag # is 82-411.

I will only use these bags for touring or running errands where I need the extra space for cargo. The large strap has to go thru passenger grab handle, & can be mounted under or on top of seat

Butch

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sniders Paint Guard

Don,

Checked web site looks very interesting, & also the mesh above paint guard. Looks like tool box liner or kitchen drawer & cabinet liners. Can get them real cheap at Dollar Store.

Butch

·
Registered
239 Posts
Butch said:
Has anyone tried Cortech Saddlebags ? I purchased a set yesterday from local Suzuki dealer

They send coupon worth 10% off of all of there accessories so I though if I wanted a set, now was the time to do it !

Would rather have hard cases, but since no one makes mounts & prices are so much higher my wants will have to wait

I did not purchase tail bag simply because I will have wife w/me on any tours that I take & theres only room for one. If I ever go on a long tour by myself I can always add this option.

These bags are made of heavy nylon, come w/rain covers, velcro fastners, heat shields on bottom, 2 zip up compartments on outside of main bag, & reflective stripes for visibility. Also have neoprene liner behind bag to prevent damaging painted surfaces. They each hold 20 litres of cargo.

You may view these bags at http://www.tourmaster.com. The model # is 82-416 & for matching tail bag # is 82-411.

I will only use these bags for touring or running errands where I need the extra space for cargo. The large strap has to go thru passenger grab handle, & can be mounted under or on top of seat

Butch
Hi Butch,
When they are mounted under the seat can you still access the under seat storage compartment?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cortech Soft Saddle bags

BobG

Bob, yes you can still use area under seat for storage, but you may have to pull straps apart if item is too big, to get item in. Remember it all connects with velcro, so is quiet easy to work.

Butch

·
Registered
137 Posts
Butch,
I'm very interested in the Cortech saddle and tailbags but is it unhandy or difficult to find a place to secure the bungee straps on the bottom of the bags on a Burgman 650.

I looked at the Cortechs in a store and it looked like it might be tough to find a place to secure these straps since a Burgman body style is so different from that of a standard motorcycle. Plus I don't want to rub the body of the Burgman too much with straps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi ! jkrerol15

The Cortech saddlebags that I have, I use the looped strap with female snap to go over side reflector light & snap other end to male strap from saddlebag . They work very well. I do not have top bag so I can't respond to that topic. I have been trying different set ups & am able to put mounting straps under seat by putting a little slack in rear or wide strap to allow top to close properly.

Butch

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried the whole set up in a shop yesterday, including a Cortech top bag, and it just seemed like too much to worry with and it cut me off from my trunk. I may just end up going with a Givi top case, but man that whole set up is way expensive. Why do some of these accessories have to be so high. To get the Givi mounting plate and box I would want is way over 300 bucks.

I may just go with a Utopia backrest first and sort of get mentally prepared to spend for the Givi stuff way down the road.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
jkrerol15 said:
I may just end up going with a Givi top case, but man that whole set up is way expensive. Why do some of these accessories have to be so high. To get the Givi mounting plate and box I would want is way over 300 bucks.
Yes, but if I divide that $300 by the number of times I use that top box - it's dirt cheap. Convenient, waterproof, lockable storage - and two additional brake lights. It's worth it. No soft luggage will give you all that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
jkrerol15 said:
Butch,
I'm very interested in the Cortech saddle and tailbags but is it unhandy or difficult to find a place to secure the bungee straps on the bottom of the bags on a Burgman 650.

I looked at the Cortechs in a store and it looked like it might be tough to find a place to secure these straps since a Burgman body style is so different from that of a standard motorcycle. Plus I don't want to rub the body of the Burgman too much with straps.

Thanks.
I don't have the straps on the bottom of the bags secured at all. No problem. The bags stay in place without them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, pauljo, I'm sure you would know. I definitely want the Givi sooner rather than later but I just took the plunge for the Utopia backrest so I hope it turns out to be all I've read about on the forum.

On the Givi though, I wonder what's the biggest difference between the new 46 case and the E52. They look about the same and the specs aren't much different. Sometimes I get to thinking the E52 might look a little overpowering on the back of my 650.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
jkrerol15 said:
On the Givi though, I wonder what's the biggest difference between the new 46 case and the E52. They look about the same and the specs aren't much different. Sometimes I get to thinking the E52 might look a little overpowering on the back of my 650.
The number designates storage capacity in liters. 52 liter capacity vs 46.

The V46 is sleeker looking.

The brake light option on the E52 is more effective I think. Two big square lights vs four tiny ones on the V46. Both cases have a lot of reflective area.

I think the E52 wins on functionality, the V46 wins on appearance. But the "win" margins aren't huge. Either case would be a worthwhile investment. Mounting rack would be the same for both cases.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
Are the lights already installed on the E-46? Or do you have to install them as on the E-52?
I'm pretty sure that they aren't - they'd be an optional kit like all of their other top boxes. Arizona Motorsports often runs a sale on the E52 with the light kit included - that is how I got mine.

The nicest thing about those lights is that there is no wire to unplug when you remove the top box. There is a contact disk on the mounting rack and another on the bottom of the top box. Removing or mounting the top box is a 3 second operation - even with the lights installed. I'd hope that the V46 light kit would work the same way, but I don't know for sure if it does.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pauljo, I got a little bit of info on both the E52 and the 46 at a local bike shop and according to it the 52 holds a lot more weight for some reason. But on the other hand it says they both will hold two helmets. So it really didn't make sense to me, if they'll both hold two helments it seems they would be capable of holding about the same amount of weight. Maybe I read my info wrong and maybe you can shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I think it is just due to its larger capacity. They both use the same mounting rack. You seem to like the V46. I'd say buy it. It is probably similar in size to the one I have on my V-Strom. Still very useful. The one I have on my V-Strom is made by Kappa for Suzuki. Givi owns Kappa. It is not quite up to Givi quality standards in my opinion, but it is still a good case - and I think it is about 46 liters in size. Yes, you could squeeze two XL full face helmets into it - but the E52 would handle that with room to spare. But buy the one you like, otherwise you'll never be totally happy with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts