Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. My K5 was delivered today. I drove it from the street to my back yard, maybe 70 feet. Almost dropped it( and me ) into my wife's flower garden! I didn't realize how touchy the throttle is!!!!!!!! ( Or how touchy my wife would have been if I killed her flowers!)

Thankfully, it started pouring rain a few minutes after I got it so I wasn't tempted to drive it some more!

I'm glad I am waiting until Sunday for the MSF course. I would have killed myself trying to drive it back from the dealer!

The point is, for new riders, watch that throttle!!!!! It's MUCH more sensitive than you might think!

Bill

·
Registered
806 Posts
I can't answer for the 650, but the 400 I think is actually kind of soft from a standing start. Now my wife's Aprilia Scarabeo 150 is so "tight" you can feel the clutch lock up. From 0-15MPH, it can actually beat my 400.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Better the flower garden than a street full of traffic. :wink:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Relax. You'll get a 'grip' on it pretty quickly.

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
What's now an unsettling feeling as you find the power coming on too strongly too quickly will, after you've learned to control all those ponies, become that yee-ha feeling that smears a smile across your face. :D

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I still find mine touchy.
Got it a week ago tomorrow.

Had to hang on rather firmly a few times when I got over "twisty" with that throttle.
WOW!
Keeps trying to leave without me :)

Have learned to treat it with a lot respect.
Stil trying to smooth out my cornering/throttle technique.
Too little or too much throttle so far.

It's an aquired skill, or so I have read here. :wink:
Ride on :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Touchy Throttle

My throttle is a bit touchy, too, but it's engine braking that gets to me. I'm getting near to 600 miles and I seem to have read that getting the idle up to 1100 could help that some. Right now I idle close to 900 when fully warmed up.

My first reaction to the throttle was that it behaved like a jet-ski. If I were to let go of the throttle at 45 mph, I'd be at 25mph in a hurry. Wide turns were a bit tricky at first, too. I'd jerk a bit trying to get some smooth throttle action going. I kind of miss not having a clutch.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Touchy Throttle

Soundman said:
...Right now I idle close to 900 when fully warmed up. ...
Be sure to mention that to the service manager when you have your first service done. They should catch it, but you never know.

Specs from Suzuki call for 1100RPM +/- 100.

Soundman said:
...Wide turns were a bit tricky at first, too. I'd jerk a bit trying to get some smooth throttle action going. I kind of miss not having a clutch.
It took me a couple of weeks to get really comfortable with the 650's throttle. Now I have an "instinctive feel" for how much throttle to carry into a curve and how much to add coming out of it.

Now it seems so smooth and natural that it's hard to remember why I had trouble in the beginning. Adding a Throttle Rocker made it more pleasant, too, once I got used to that.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Mark, I would say that 900 rpm at idle with engine warm is way too low and is the root cause of you feeling a wee bit unsettled by the severity of the engine braking. I would ask your dealer to adjust so that is 1100 rpm when warm - you will find this much more manageable.

·
Registered
969 Posts
On the Burgman 650, a lower idle speed actually gives you less engine braking. To prove it, while decelerating (without brakes), stab the 'POWER' button. Revs go up, and you slow down much quicker.

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
wasions said:
On the Burgman 650, a lower idle speed actually gives you less engine braking. To prove it, while decelerating (without brakes), stab the 'POWER' button. Revs go up, and you slow down much quicker.
Going into Power mode changes the ratio of the engine-to-final drive link, so it's not an apples to apples comparison. When braking, the revs go up when you switch to Power mode not because the engine is producing more power, but because the drive train is pushing it from a higher ratio.

Raising the idle speed will reduce the level of engine braking in either mode compared to the same mode's level at a lower idle.

To prove it, keep a little extra throttle on as you come to a stop. That's the equivalent of setting a higher idle speed.

Another way to think about it is this: going to Power mode is like downshifting a car. Which will slow you faster, downshifting with your foot on the gas (fast idle) or with it off the gas (slow idle)?

·
Registered
969 Posts
(My face is red. :oops: )

Oh. Of course. I knew that.

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Touchy Throttle

Just got back from my 600 mile Oil Change and Idle setting. The dealer really ought to you use clean rags to clean the windshield. The whole throttle thing does seem a little better, but low spead throttle is still a bit twitchy - kind of like trying to keep a car moving smoothly in first gear. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing for another couple thousand miles. Sigh. The things we put up with :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have riden both and I would not clasify the 650 throttle as touchey. It is exactingly precise. The 400 requires some roll before take off the 650 is instantly engaged upon touching the throttle. I found this pleasant and once you get used to it I cannot immagine you could dislike it I would love to have my 400 behave this way. Stability comes with motion as long as you know what you have, I think it is safer the way it is designed the instant start is subtle unless you march right down on it. Practice slight take offs I cannot immagine you not likeing it.????..... :dontknow: I think the precision is addictive I sure would like to have the 650 for me and get my Wife to learn to ride our 400, which I think is great as well.... :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I don't consider the 650 throttle to be touchy either. Like any big bike, extreme slow riding requires some concentration, but it is very doable. For normal riding, I never give the throttle a thought. It works just as I'd expect it to.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The 'touchy' throttle is what precipitated my little encounter with the front end of my mother's car (and it's encounter with my ribs! :oops: )

I am going to check out the throttle linkage cable on mine to see if a little slack might make it less sensitive and maybe a little more tractable. I think, as others have stated, that once I get used to it, it will actually be a good thing having that delicate control.

Once I get used to it.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Throttle play (slack) can make a difference. Mine was slow to respond from idle, so I adjusted it a bit (took up some of the slack), much better for me. It really dosen't take much of an adjustment. I did mine right at the handlebar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts