Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we decided to push our little scooters a little, so we went on a 232 mile ride from Marietta, Ga. up to Tennessee and across to North Carolina. Then back down to Georgia. We got home at 9:30 at night. What a ride. We rode through the mountains, and we took on the curvey roads. It was great. We even revisited the area we had gone through with Scootereno. :p

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Very Cool!
Those are some of the most cherished motorcycle roads in the southeast.
A little further and you would be at Deals Gap and the Dragon Tail. But I'd make that a 2 day ride for sure. Then the Cherohala Skyway, Blueridge Parkway, etc.....and then there is the very cool town of Warm Springs, Ga. heading south. A very Biker friendly little town with neat shops in their Bikers Alley, a Motorcycle/Magic Museum, and plenty of Main Street Specialty shops for the ladies. ;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Good for you !!

We often do three states in a day around here, but two is more normal. Some of the best ride to eat places are in VA. just over the state line from NC.:D

Plus I think TN. BBQ is better tasting than NC. BBQ ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would give anything to take off and head north right now.
The downside of owning your own business.
Gonna sneak up that way before too long!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Good for you !!

We often do three states in a day around here, but two is more normal. Some of the best ride to eat places are in VA. just over the state line from NC.:D

Plus I think TN. BBQ is better tasting than NC. BBQ ;)
I'm north of you in Va but I was born in NC. I agree with you about the BBQ. I never liked the NC style of BBQ but I like the Tennessee and Virginia kind. The best BBQ I have found in Tennessee is Ridgewood (http://thegalaxsmokehouse.com/). Partner's in Bluff City is pretty good just down the road (http://www.yelp.com/biz/pardners-bar-b-que-and-steak-restaurant-inc-piney-flats) and The Firehouse in Johnson City is outstanding (http://www.thefirehouse.com/). The Smokehouse in downtown Galax, Va is excellent (http://thegalaxsmokehouse.com/) as is Wolfe's BBQ in downtown Marion(https://www.facebook.com/WolfesBbq).

Other than BBQ, good restaurants in Virginia are Shatley Springs near West Jefferson, NC (http://www.shatleysprings.com/), The Hungry Farmer on Rt 52 in Cana, Va (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hungry-Farmer-of-Cana/170461702967375)and Draper Mercantile in Draper, Va. (http://www.drapermerc.com/)

I live near 5 other states so we frequently ride in 3 states in one day with a 200 or so ride. One week we'll ride in VA, NC and TN. The next ride will be VA, WV and KY. 4-6 of us will meet for breakfast at 8:00AM and we will decide where we are going to ride that day. We ride until lunch and return on different roads after lunch. We normally get home about 4:00PM and seldom ride on a straight or level road. We slow down on the straight stretches until we can see the Harleys in our mirrors.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to have to keep a log of these good BBQ places. We've been unofficially taste testing them on our rides. So far, out of 6 or 7 BBQ places we have been to Bigun's in Talking Rock, Ga. is the best. Someone give us some names in Tenn. please, so we can try for a trip to them. The 200 mile trips are pushing it. We got home after dark and our Jack Russell Terriers thought we had forgotten about them. We had forgotten to leave a light on. Who knew we'd enjoy our rides so much!!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Some of the best ride to eat places are in VA. just over the state line from NC.:D
Funny, around my area, we go to NC for better eats :p

O yea and, NC BBQ does suck ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Funny, around my area, we go to NC for better eats :p

O yea and, NC BBQ does suck ;)
It's because you live on the wrong end of Virginia. Ride about 370 miles west to the mountains. Virginia is like 3 completely different states. You have Eastern Virginia, Northern Virginia and Western Virginia. I suffered through Northern Virginia for 6 years many years ago and I can make it 2 nights at my daughter's house in Norfolk. The mountains draw me home.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yesterday we decided to push our little scooters a little, so we went on a 232 mile ride from Marietta, Ga. up to Tennessee and across to North Carolina. Then back down to Georgia. We got home at 9:30 at night. What a ride. We rode through the mountains, and we took on the curvey roads. It was great. We even revisited the area we had gone through with Scootereno. :p
Yes, I ride up on those area's quite often. Let me know next time your planning a ride and I'll tag along if you don't mind :)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Living in the desert of So. Cal. it would take me almost that many miles round trip just to drive to Arizona. No curvey roads just straight boring I-10 for most of the ride.:( Only good thing with our weather I could to it all year around. :D
To see three states that would be more like 500 miles and still would be all in the desert. :cool:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem. Yesterday we rode 257 miles and went up to Clayton, Ga and across to Westminster, NC just for the fun of it. We stopped at a nice country store called Hillside Farms, and we bought all sorts of jams and jellies and peach bread, and apples, etc. Luckily, we have two tailboxes that can hold all sorts of stuff, as well as under the seats. I also carried 1.5 gal of gas just in case. Once again, we got back at around 8:45 at night. Our dogs were wondering if we would come back!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Burgman30102, you are always welcome to join the ride. Sometimes we go with Scootereno, if and when he isn't working. I am fortunate in that I retired not too long ago.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Burgman30102, you are always welcome to join the ride. Sometimes we go with Scootereno, if and when he isn't working. I am fortunate in that I retired not too long ago.
Thanks I will PM you sometimes and see what you all are planning!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yesterday we took a 'short' ride up to Ellijay to Col. Poole's BBQ and then back down by way of some back roads. 157 miles in all. I had installed my video camera and GPS so it was sort of an experiment to see if everything worked while riding. I also installed 2 little independent speakers that I plugged into my mp3 player. I think I need an amp for it because I could hardly hear them due to wind noise. Otherwise, it was a good ride.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yesterday we took a 'short' ride up to Ellijay to Col. Poole's BBQ and then back down by way of some back roads. 157 miles in all. I had installed my video camera and GPS so it was sort of an experiment to see if everything worked while riding. I also installed 2 little independent speakers that I plugged into my mp3 player. I think I need an amp for it because I could hardly hear them due to wind noise. Otherwise, it was a good ride.
Oh thats my favorite place to eat, I like to ride up 411 and then over Fort Mountain to get to it to :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have gone that route before. Nice ride. However, I still say that Bigun's BBQ is the best. Maybe we can ride together sometime up to Bigun's in Talking Rock and then head into the mountains. That is beautiful country up there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts