Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
David, when you get done with your trip, look into a a battery tender, or at least the pigtails for a battery tender that you can attach to the battery terminals that will adapt to a jumper pack or battery for jumping. I bought a battery tender for my scoot to keep the battery up when it's nasty weather during the winter here in Colorado and I'm not riding. It came with a handy pigtail that has a quick connect on one end and hooks to the battery terminals. There are several accessory connectors that have that quick connector so that you can just plug it in real quick instead of trying to clip directly onto the battery. Here's a link to the one I bought off Amazon and some pics to give you an idea.

Battery Tender Junior 12V, 800mA Battery Charger and Maintainer https://a.co/d/eGEvhs2

View attachment 100993
View attachment 100994 View attachment 100995
You might be interested in a mod I described 15 years ago:

I find that using a DIN/Powerlet-style plug is even easier than connecting a smart-charger to SAE pigtails.

I've done that mod -- Powerlet through the under-left-thigh tupperware -- on every bike I've owned since, e.g.:

Reactions: ByronMan

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
First of all, that's great, David.

Second, having been on this forum for 15 years and two Big Burgers, early on -- a loooong time ago -- maybe a couple of months after I bought my first Exec, I got in the habit of:
  • Turning off the underseat light, and leaving it off. Permanently.
  • Similarly, I NEVER put the ignition key in any position other than On or Off.
  • I NEVER used the magnetic key cover flap gizmo.
Now, I don't know how the 400 differs from the 650s, but my point is that I never locked the forks, never used the parking lights, never tried to do any tricks. As I say, early on I read too many posts about too many problems when you try to do tricky things.

I never did much night riding, so I could always see what was under the seat when I opened it. On the fork locks, watch some YouTube videos, on how easy it is to brake those; if someone wants to steal your bike, so be it.

I'm sure a lot of folks have differing opinions on this, but my position was to keep things simple, don't go looking for trouble, etc. And I had many happy years -- eleven -- on my two Execs.
Wow, my thoughts exactly. No one has agreed with me before on this before. Glad to see this. My PO was demonstrating all the nifty gadgets prior to my purchase and left the under-seat light on. That scored me a new battery and a battery tender when I arrived home. (Trailered home with light on and lunch stop) The key cover is a nice selling point, but not for me. I park with bike in sight whenever possible, my key cover is not a smooth operator and am concerned...what if??? when I use it, so I choose not to use it.
I like to keep things simple as well, drive mode 98% of the time is just dandy for me and I do enjoy the electric adjustable shield and use it every ride depending on speed. I will use the heated grips/seat if that cold day in Florida ever arrives. The rest of the gizmos I leave alone. Key on, start, twist throttle, and go, no shifting, that's why I like it so much easy peasy simple.

I had a little drift there, got excited someone else shared my thoughts.

BackOnA Bike After40Years, glad you have it worked out. (y)

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
882 Posts
My other scooter SW600, are notorious for killing batteries because of trunk light, if the aft seat latch (yes it has 2 latches) is not properly latched or light switch in latch is out of adjustment, light stays on, there is no oem manual switch or way of turning light off (there is now) and removing bulb (favorite DIY fix) is not good at night, etc.

So just in case "Human Factors" prevail :whistle:, I installed brighter 4 Led Feston Bulbs/Dome lights, they draw about 0.7 watts, approx. 85% less power than the dim oem 5-watt bulb, it would take a week to kill battery, scooter will start on a overnight memory lapse :rolleyes:, BTDT. I plan on doing similar to B400, I could only find these bulbs at local flea market shop that does "Bling-Bling" leds strips, etc.

Font Rectangle Flooring Wood Paper

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
If you can charge the battery and then it will run; you have a charging problem. Which can be either the stator or the voltage regulator. Had a similar problem with my 400.

·
Registered
35 Posts
...on my way to STO Rally 2022 - right now.
Bike is dead.
Ran perfect yesterday !
Snooze in Mena AR (halfway there).
Awake rested, load up, turn key 0 !

Any ideas ?
Battery is new & connections are tight.
Is there a main fuse ?
I DO have a printed manual & will begin pouring over it.
Appreciate ANY INPUT y'all have...

David - stuck in Arkansas
ITS NOT THE WORSE THING THAT COULD HAPPEN, EVEN THOUGH IT MAKES YOU FEEL KINDA SILLY. THE 1ST DAY I GOT MY 400S, I KILLED THE BATTERY CAUSE I LEFT THE TAILLIGHT ON 🤣🤣🤣 . GAVE ME A REASON TO GO AHEAD AND BUY A NEW BATTERY AND TENDER. NJOY THE RIDE🙂🙂

·
Registered
2 Posts
...on my way to STO Rally 2022 - right now. Bike is dead. Ran perfect yesterday ! Snooze in Mena AR (halfway there). Awake rested, load up, turn key 0 ! Any ideas ? Battery is new & connections are tight. Is there a main fuse ? I DO have a printed manual & will begin pouring over it. Appreciate ANY INPUT y'all have... David - stuck in Arkansas
Same thing happened to me. I had to get a new ignition for my burgman 650.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's all OK now, Praise the Lord.

TY for your input.

100% my bad I left that "steering lock taillight" on. !

At home, I walk past rear of bike impossible to miss. Here I was tired & failed to note it illuminated.

EMS garage service mechanic next door - 100' walk - head mechanic Clint had my itsy bitsy Burgman battery ship shape in a 30 min boost.

I learned how to pull & replace battery, getting those leads out of your way, used gorilla tape as a hold down, then slid battery past em.

Vroom Vroom ...back in business !

STO bound....better late than never...

TY - David
I did that once, and on a trip. Would be nice if there was a little light indicator in speedo to remind you that taillight is on.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts