Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...on my way to STO Rally 2022 - right now.
Bike is dead.
Ran perfect yesterday !
Snooze in Mena AR (halfway there).
Awake rested, load up, turn key 0 !

Any ideas ?
Battery is new & connections are tight.
Is there a main fuse ?
I DO have a printed manual & will begin pouring over it.
Appreciate ANY INPUT y'all have...

David - stuck in Arkansas

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is it possible I accidentally left the ignition when I locked the steering in the "steering locked, taillight illuminated" and didn't notice ?
Has anyone drained their battery this way ?

Second question, IF batter had any juice, (but ignition dead) would trunk light illuminate, key on or key off ?

Third - how does on jump this bike with the small terminals & buried battery ?

[Edit: I just checked: key on or off I have no trunk light in any of it's switch positions.
Does that mean dead battery ?]

TY so much !

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
...on my way to STO Rally 2022 - right now.
Bike is dead.
Ran perfect yesterday !
Snooze in Mena AR (halfway there).
Awake rested, load up, turn key 0 !

Any ideas ?
Battery is new & connections are tight.
Is there a main fuse ?
I DO have a printed manual & will begin pouring over it.
Appreciate ANY INPUT y'all have...

David - stuck in Arkansas
I don't know anything about the 400, but just for yuks: have you checked the position of the kill switch?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duh yeah, got that. I'd suspect that if it'd crank but not fire. No crank & NO ignition lights either.

I now suspect dead battery.

Trunk light is non op -: battery is likely dead ?

What's holding battery in ?

I tug on the little bit of it's top edge but it won't budge - move backwards to allow more terminal access.

·
Super Moderator
6,044 Posts
Only the cover holds the battery in as far as I can remember.
There might not be much play in the cables. On later bikes the battery sits on a tray and slides out with but I don’t think yours has that.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
881 Posts
Only the cover holds the battery in as far as I can remember.
There might not be much play in the cables. On later bikes the battery sits on a tray and slides out with but I don’t think yours has that.
Yes, there should be a sliding tray under battery, if your battery is that dead, I would strongly suggest changing it, a weak or shorted battery is not good for correct charging system operation, do not jump start from a running car/truck, you can jump start with car off, a dead/shorted battery or jump starting from a running car, could cause $$$$ damage to rectifier, etc.. Go to Batteries Plus or Walmart and get a battery, make sure is charging, etc. before hitting the road, over 14 volts at battery while at idle is good.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's all OK now, Praise the Lord.

TY for your input.

100% my bad I left that "steering lock taillight" on. !

At home, I walk past rear of bike impossible to miss. Here I was tired & failed to note it illuminated.

EMS garage service mechanic next door - 100' walk - head mechanic Clint had my itsy bitsy Burgman battery ship shape in a 30 min boost.

I learned how to pull & replace battery, getting those leads out of your way, used gorilla tape as a hold down, then slid battery past em.

Vroom Vroom ...back in business !

STO bound....better late than never...

TY - David

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
It's all OK now, Praise the Lord.

TY for your input.

100% my bad I left that "steering lock taillight" on. !

At home, I walk past rear of bike impossible to miss. Here I was tired & failed to note it illuminated.

EMS garage service mechanic next door - 100' walk - head mechanic Clint had my itsy bitsy Burgman battery ship shape in a 30 min boost.

I learned how to pull & replace battery, getting those leads out of your way, used gorilla tape as a hold down, then slid battery past em.

Vroom Vroom ...back in business !

STO bound....better late than never...

TY - David
First of all, that's great, David.

Second, having been on this forum for 15 years and two Big Burgers, early on -- a loooong time ago -- maybe a couple of months after I bought my first Exec, I got in the habit of:
  • Turning off the underseat light, and leaving it off. Permanently.
  • Similarly, I NEVER put the ignition key in any position other than On or Off.
  • I NEVER used the magnetic key cover flap gizmo.
Now, I don't know how the 400 differs from the 650s, but my point is that I never locked the forks, never used the parking lights, never tried to do any tricks. As I say, early on I read too many posts about too many problems when you try to do tricky things.

I never did much night riding, so I could always see what was under the seat when I opened it. On the fork locks, watch some YouTube videos, on how easy it is to brake those; if someone wants to steal your bike, so be it.

I'm sure a lot of folks have differing opinions on this, but my position was to keep things simple, don't go looking for trouble, etc. And I had many happy years -- eleven -- on my two Execs.

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
Future tip for jumping. Long shaft screwdriver onto the positive and clip the positive clip to the shaft. Clip the negative to any metal part of the bike
I'm not sure how well the metal of the bike is actually part of the ground side of the electrical system on the various Burgmen, but that's an interesting and useful tip about the screwdriver (which I hadn't heard of before, and which I'll keep in mind for future reference).

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
  • Similarly, I NEVER put the ignition key in any position other than On or Off.
  • I NEVER used the magnetic key cover flap gizmo.
👍 👍 👍 especially when not at home.
Now, I don't know how the 400 differs from the 650s, but my point is that I never locked the forks, never used the parking lights, never tried to do any tricks. As I say, early on I read too many posts about too many problems when you try to do tricky things.
my 07 400 and 09 650 worked exactly the same.

will have to agree to disagree with the trunk/underseat light statements as I use the trunk light quite often, but always make sure it's off/turns off before closing the seat...and installed an LED (much brigher) 🤷‍♂️
even just the trunk light can kill a battery overnite, both the trunk lite bulbs from my 400's are now free range grazing in the neighbors back yard, guess why:mad:
wifey wanted a new pair of shoes rather than buy you another battery?

Moderator changed the quote above from zrx212 to MikeyMarine

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400
114 Posts
David, when you get done with your trip, look into a a battery tender, or at least the pigtails for a battery tender that you can attach to the battery terminals that will adapt to a jumper pack or battery for jumping. I bought a battery tender for my scoot to keep the battery up when it's nasty weather during the winter here in Colorado and I'm not riding. It came with a handy pigtail that has a quick connect on one end and hooks to the battery terminals. There are several accessory connectors that have that quick connector so that you can just plug it in real quick instead of trying to clip directly onto the battery. Here's a link to the one I bought off Amazon and some pics to give you an idea.

Battery Tender Junior 12V, 800mA Battery Charger and Maintainer https://a.co/d/eGEvhs2

Microphone Audio equipment Electronic device Gadget Camera accessory

Product Automotive lighting Tool Service Technology
Gadget Font Output device Multimedia Display device

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Same thing happened to me once. My new 2012 Suzuki VStrom 650. Loaded it for my next day trip around Lake Superior. Locked the steering, threw on the bike cover. Early next morning bike completely dead. Never saw to taillight on due to the cover. Thank you Suzuki for the strange feature!

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
881 Posts
Clip the negative to any metal part of the bike
The B400 chassis is not a ground path to starter, engine is rubber mounted, that's why the large ground wire is directly connected to starter mounting bolt, rest of electrical system grounds are handled by smaller gauge wires, not designed for starting amperage, best to connect negative to battery lead or directly to engine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts