Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nice that the forum supports larger photos now.

WIth 5 days of superb weather forecast ...and I'm only two hours by slab to the north of the entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway at Fort Royal I'm playing hooky :D Been decades since I last rode it.

Good ( tho chilly ) ride today to get to State College PA and cheap and nice digs.

Finally got warm - down at State College - cool and cheap motel Nittany Budget Motel - 64 tax in with breakfast, great internet and very nice room - bike is right outside the window :D 600 easy KM with some fun in the middle 44 and some other roads from Letchworth thanks to the TomTom.

Then a newly paved 892 after a fill up at Pauls, across to Wykoff Run as icing on the cake then some pretty sweeps and slab to State College. :D Good day thos chilly

I AM heading further South to the BRP.

•••
Today's ride

Left TO around 6 am in light rain but it cleared.
Chilly but dry ride to the border- forgot to activate my Nexus card - the short stop was useful - sun was just coming up as I cleared the border.

Now HERE is a photo of something you can rarely see...that's a clear Toronto skyline from across the lake photographed all the way from Lewiston...

Click on it to blow it up incredible air to cover 23 miles or more.

Rolled through small towns along 104 - Ridge Road - nice but won't do it again. Whats with you Yanks and their flags. ;) ...this thing is ginormous - those are hydro pole and street light - hard to believe how big that sucker was..
I see more flags in a single ride to PA than I've seen in numerous trips to Europe.

FIlled up with gas but did not go in to warm up - likely a mistake as I was pretty chilled and out of layers ( well had one left ) and was only 90 km from Letchworth and a second breakfast so toughed it out. It really never got above 55 all the way until I hit the Interstate on the way to State College tho is got a tad warmer going down from Coudersport.

Was happy to see the Letchworth Inn - warmth and food and top notch coffee....old time charm and prices.....

Top drawer dining for great prices

in an amazing setting

Under $10 and you get $8 of that back when you present the park ticket

this was a very welcome break

lovely scenery

Finally saw some blue sky tho stayed cold. Colours are just starting - this caught my eye

It's my new route to PA - not much longer....much more civilized

·
Registered
211 Posts
Haven't been to Letchworth Park in 20+ years. Is the railroad trestle above the falls still standing?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup
have not had a good look at it yet tho - pretty impressive
Letchworth worth the effot

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well if you decide to go as far as Atlanta just pm me and you will have a place to stay. Since we are at the base of the the Blue Ridge Mountains/Appalachians you would be about an hour's drive below all of nature but close to many BurgmanUSA forum members.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks but not this time - debating north or east at this point.
Might want to see Anapolis and then slip between Baltimore and Washington and home.

OR

head north now

Wonder who the two up on the Burgman heading north on the Skyline drive were?

Mine was so draped with clothes they likely did not recognise it.

Picks later.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day Two - Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway

Pics here start at 18
https://picasaweb.google.com/113408714888195024530/PASept22?authuser=0&feat=directlinkas you've seen the others.

The SKyline Drive starts in Front Royal - $10 to get in. Traffic was light - quite a few bikes out - everyone bundled up but lovely riding conditions

and I had some fun pacing with this guy and girl....love the licence plate.

couple of highlights - Blue Ridge Parkway living up to it's name

Deer are always lurking - there was a whole small herd the other side of the wall

got down to 10C ( 50 F ) and I'd had enough cold after 50 miles so warmed up in a sunny spot

that was the furthest South I went - the Parkway goes on for another 500 miles or so.

opted for warmth - 21 ( 70 F ) when I got down in the valley and much welcome decent food after too many McDs.

lovely little spot - great small town but expensive which is one reason I opted to head north

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Great pictures!!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blew in 1/2 hour ago after messing up my schedule for dinner at Letchworth or Corning.

Realized I was already too far north thanks to TomTom's wanderings so not so far from home. Beat the sunset to the border ( worried about deer ) Nexus was a treat then boogied on home on the slab.

Feel pretty good given second 12 hour day. 2100km give or take a few....slab, windies and twisties - some cool spots I hope I can chase down again.

Thought I was going to end up in Coudersport via TomTom meanderings but horrendous log jam at construction on the southern end of 44 so discovered some new stuff further east and stayed east.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Interesting weather there. We ride around down here in short sleeves. Even with our safety vests on we are sweating. I have one heck of a suntan on my arms. Had to ride without gloves recently because I looked strange with dark tan arms and white hands. Aside from the rain that comes when it wants to, the weather down here is ideal for riding. That is why we have been taking some 200 - 250 mile day trips. The mountains are beautiful here at the base of the Appalachian trail. If you get a chance, go south. My brother lives and works in Ottawa, Ontario. He seemed to like the cold when I saw him last, about 35 years ago. Geeeze. Didn't realize it had been so long!! Guess I should go up and visit him...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great pictures. Thanks for posting. Got me excited to go to Letchworth as well.
I live in Niagara on the Lake, and so before the cold arrives, (ever though I have the heated grips and seats), do you have any suggested routes from the Queenston/Lewiston border crossing to Letchworth? It looks like you crossed there.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I might be convinced to take a run on Sunday with you. Meet up at your place around 10 am with an eye to lunch.

I usually let the TomTom take me where it wants to on the Winding Roads setting.
but this works

http://goo.gl/maps/ueLvq

likely can route around Batavia.

The nice loop for you is Letchworth and Corning for the Glass museum and perhaps the Air museum at Watkins Glen.

Here is the entire loop 500 km not on highways.

http://goo.gl/maps/BjTs0

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the invitation but I was thinking sometime during the week (hopefully less traffic) so no real planned date but more spontaneous and work dependent.

Appreciate the maps and suggestions and wiil advise if it happens. By the way, didn't know TomTom had a winding roads setting, great idea!!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a TomTom app not the GPS itself.
weekdays are good for me as well with some notice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pictures and ride look awesome. If you get back down this way to visit Annapolis, let me know. I live about halfway between Baltimore and Philadelphia not far off the interstate. I can meet you someplace and ride with you for a while. There are a lot of great rides in southeastern PA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts