Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caution: long post.

Problem: My oil level is higher in the sight glass after the first long ride vs. after just changing the oil. I don't understand why the engine acts this way. No other vehicle I have ever owned has done this.

Description:

When I do an oil change I fill the crankcase with about 6 oz. less than the recommended amount; run the bike for a few minutes to circulate the oil through the filter and check for leaks; let the bike sit for half an hour; then check the oil level. Usually the level is about in the middle of the two marks on the sight glass.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14641&stc=1&d=1375797764

Here is the part I don't understand. If I fill the bike up to the F mark at this point it will be over filled after a 30 minute ride, so instead I fill it to the before picture. After a 30 minute or more ride the bike will be sitting at the F mark (after picture). Why does it get higher after a longer ride? It will not get any higher on subsequent rides. It stays at the F mark.

The only thing I can figure is that the oil is migrating from the transmission. I thought the migration was the other way though. Crankcase to transmission.

I always change the oil in my transmission at every oil change. I don't measure the transmission oil. I fill it via the fill hole and let it run out until it stops dripping. At that point I figure it is full. Am I overfilling the transmission? The bike is on level ground when I change the trans. oil.

Thanks.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
it has just happened to me few days ago when i changed the oil for the first time by myself, i fill it to the F and now its a little over that. and i got the 400.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Are you looking at the oil level with the engine hot after the long ride. When you start it and let run for just a few minutes the oil does not get as hot as it does when you ride for 30 minutes. The hotter the oil is the more it expands.

After you change the oil and let the bike run a few minutes let set overnight then look at the oil level with the engine cold. After you have ridden it for the longer ride let it sit overnight then look at the oil level with the engine cold. With the engine totally cooled down I suspect you will see that the oil level is the same.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
It is like a car with an automatic transmission. The instructions on the dip stick for those usually say to check the level with the transmission warmed up and the engine idling. If you just start the car and check the level with it idling before the transmission is run and warmed up the level will read low. Once you have driven it and the fluid warms up the level will read correct.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I haven't heard of reverse oil migration for the transmission to the engine compartment, it's usually the other way around, most of us end up with a few additional cc in the transmission between oil changes.

I think Buffalo pretty much explained it... check the oil level when you first at it cold, run it for a few minutes, let it cool down and check again, that's the bench mark I have been using.

good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I hear what you guys are saying, but to clarify.

Running it for a few minutes after the oil change was to fill the filter and to check for leaks. Both of the oil checks pictured are when the engine is cold so there is maximum drain down. The bike is still sitting on the F mark (as pictured) right now and it has been sitting for over a day. This is just how my bike acts. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's what it does. I was hesitant to post this, but it really does read higher toward the F mark after the first longer ride.

It's not really an issue as long as I plan for it. I guess I was just wondering why it did this, or if anyone else had the same experience. It sounds like fernando had the same experience as me.

Dave

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
When you put the oil in it's cold when it gets hot it expands by about 10%
not only that but as it's now thinner it runs back to the sump quicker, as these engines
don't have bit oil capacity's a little increase due to expansion make a big difference on the level.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
The only way to explain it is oil is being trapped somewhere and not being removed when you drain the oil. Have you measured the amount of oil that you drained out to see if it matches what you are putting back in.

One other question. Are you getting the engine fully warmed up before you drain the oil. If you start the bike and run it for just a few minutes but don't get it fully warmed up then the oil that is up in the heads and in the clutch area will be slow to drain back down into the crankcase. That would leave a small residual amount of old oil that would drain back down the first time you get it good and hot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buffalo (Craig?)

I was kinda thinking along the same lines, but that when I fill the oil it is getting trapped and doesn't fully get circulated until I run the bike for awhile. I usually only run the bike for two or three minutes right after the change to check for leaks. Bring it up to the "before level" then go for a ride. The next day I check the oil and fill up to F when it is stone cold.

Thanks answering a question that is not too critical. Thanks to everyone else too.

Dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
In all the oil change/sight glass threads that have come and gone there is never a consensus about what happens to the oil. Typically someone ends up pointing out the obvious: The sight glass is not a precision instrument and is there just to get you in the ballpark. Dipsticks are the same way. If you look and can't see oil at all that might be cause for concern but if it shows in the sightglass be happy, quit fretting over small stuff, and ride your scooter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Momule,

Point well taken. No fretting or worry here.... It was just a curiosity for me, and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
What I noticed on my first oil change is , it takes very little oil to go from low to high on the sight glass . I would guess that as long as you see any oil at all in the glass you have enough / plenty of oil .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
What I noticed on my first oil change is , it takes very little oil to go from low to high on the sight glass . I would guess that as long as you see any oil at all in the glass you have enough / plenty of oil .

TheReaper!
+1. I have noticed the change in oil level after the first ride and the bike sits over night after an oil change. I now put enough oil in to get about half way on the site glass and forgot trying to hit the "F" mark.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Why not just put in the amount of oil that it calls for and be done with it?

Bill

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Why not just put in the amount of oil that it calls for and be done with it?

Bill
..... because you don't know how much you have drained out. If you didn't fully drain it (as pointed out in the above posts re not having the oil warm enough when you drained it) then you will be over filling. :)

In answer to the original question, however, I think we have classic case of unburned fuel diluting / increasing the oil volume - nothing to worry about in the long run.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts