Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1999 burgman on a long private roiad today and I could not get it over 80 mph even when I went down a bit of a hill it refused to go any faster it seemed like it was revving out . I have a good set of stock 18g rollers in it and it works fine otherwise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is 37k on it and I checked the belt and rollers 2 weeks ago. The variator is good just a slight groove high up as it was used for touring by the one previous owner.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The '99 through '02 Burgman 400s were carbureted (even some '03 MYs in some parts of the world), 80 mph (indicated) is about all they have. Where are you located?

All 2003 Burgman 400s imported into the US were EFI...

·
Registered
302 Posts
There were definite improvements in 2003, so yours may just not be able to go faster. Still, it is not how fast you go but how much you enjoy yourself while you go.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK well at least I am getting what its meant to do...I do have great fun on it and it will hold 70mph with ease. I am in the north west UK.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
You need a Bigger Hill if you want to go faster and a tail wind wouldn't hurt.
Unless you do some cylinder boring, port and polishing, or a nitrous add on.
I would start with a carb cleaning/rebuild to see if that gets it going a bit faster.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
80 mph top is not enough imo, I had '98 250 up to that speed on flat road with no wind. However my weight was under 150 lbs then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need a Bigger Hill if you want to go faster and a tail wind wouldn't hurt.
Unless you do some cylinder boring, port and polishing, or a nitrous add on.
I would start with a carb cleaning/rebuild to see if that gets it going a bit faster.
Carb is all cleaned and rebuilt along with the valve clearances set perfectly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
80 mph top is not enough imo, I had '98 250 up to that speed on flat road with no wind. However my weight was under 150 lbs then.
There is little difference is in top speed between the early 250 and the 400 I was lead to believe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up my new/second hand an400x today and it pulled over 90 indicated on the flat with no tail wind and would be able to go a little faster i think with a long enough road

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have 2003 burgman. in highway GPS navigator show,s 141km/h

·
Registered
75 Posts
Went for a ride yesterday on my 2009 Burgman 650 Executive. I came upon a guy driving a large Harley Davidson. He had all accessories, including a leather jacket with Harley Davidson printed across the back. We traveled down a secondary road at moderate speed before both exiting on an expressway. I expected him to give it the gas as soon as he pulled onto the expressway. I was ready and pressed my "power" button in anticipation. Just as I thought, he floored his Harley expecting to leave me in the dust. It didn't quite work out that way, however. I saw him check his mirrors and see me, on a mere scooter, was right behind him. He ultimately slowed down to a reasonable speed. I took an exit and continued my ride back home on back roads.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
On my '05-400, top speed is unknown.
Been to 75, but 60/65 MPH fine for me.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Went for a ride yesterday on my 2009 Burgman 650 Executive. I came upon a guy driving a large Harley Davidson. He had all accessories, including a leather jacket with Harley Davidson printed across the back. We traveled down a secondary road at moderate speed before both exiting on an expressway. I expected him to give it the gas as soon as he pulled onto the expressway. I was ready and pressed my "power" button in anticipation. Just as I thought, he floored his Harley expecting to leave me in the dust. It didn't quite work out that way, however. I saw him check his mirrors and see me, on a mere scooter, was right behind him. He ultimately slowed down to a reasonable speed. I took an exit and continued my ride back home on back roads.
Ya, Harley riders don't like that. And I'd never recommend dropping into their formation when they're riding down the highway. They REALLY don't like that. No that I've ever done it., :rolleyes:

·
Registered
326 Posts
93 on the speedo on my K05 400, stock 18 gram rollers. Same top end when I installed the 15 gram rollers, just better acceleration and lower mpg.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts