Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have seen from several different sources claim the top speed of the Burgman 650 to range anywhere from 110 mph to 130 mph. Does anyone have accurate road test speeds for the top speed of the 650? I greatly appreciate your time and help with this.

Best regards. Rotella

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The forum member report different speeds. Paul did some testing while having accessories that cause extra drag. I'd guess there are multiple factors that will cause a range of possible values. See :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3136

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The only way that thing will do 130 mph is down a very long steep hill with a strong tailwind. Seriously, mine was flat wound out, nothing left, at 115 mph on level highway. That was in stock trim. Adding larger windscreens, or a Givi top box, adds wind drag, and will cost you a few mph. In my current configuration which includes a LG Clearview windscreen and a Givi E52 top box, mine will do about 107 or 108 mph. The other thing to note is that accelleration drops off sharply after 100 mph. You need lots of time and road to squeeze that last few mph out of it. For all practical purposes, it is a 100 mph machine.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Size and weight of the rider might have an adverse effect on top speed too. One local guy, shorter and probably lighter than Paul, has ridden his 650 up to 122 MPH indicated or about 110 MPH actual.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The best I have gotten out of my burg is 119 on the Speedo, I had a Garmin 2610 turned on that day but I did not look down to see what it was reading and had the log turned off and I am sure you can understand why. Remember that our Speedo is off form 3 to 7 miles depending on many things like temp and elevation, I believe I reach the max on my burg because when I got to that speed I also believe that I had reach the rev limiter as the bike started to buck and that is when I look down and notice the speed and of course backed off right away. I have not take it up to that speed again and probable will never repeat that, one thing for sure I will say is if my burg was going to break down it would have happen then or after that run as I ran the hell out of it and the whole time it was in the power mode. The reason I went that fast is because I was racing 4 other hot shots bikers that went by at very high speeds to try to scare me and I went after them and we are all going at it on the Palisades Highway from New York into New Jersey, and that also I will never repeat. One thing I will say is not for a moment did I fear that the burgman could not handle the way I was running the hell out of it in and out between cars as we did, it was not all twist and go straight run.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
burg650 said:
(snipped)One thing I will say is not for a moment did I fear that the burgman could not handle the way I was running the hell out of it in and out between cars as we did, it was not all twist and go straight run.
Way to go Roger! Respect :thumbright:
It is very reassuring to know that the old Lardy was planted at speed. :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
ROTELLA said:
...Does anyone have accurate road test speeds for the top speed of the 650?
As reported elsewhere on this forum, I have done some speed testing of my 650, once when the bike had about 600 miles on it and once with about 2000.

Both times the tests were done on straight, flat road in central Washington, and both times I took it to top speed, then back to 60, then back to top speed and held it for a mile or so.

Max speed was 112 indicated (~100 actual). Gross weight was 837 pounds, +/- 10 pounds. Temperature on 1st test was 100F+ and on 2nd test was near 70F. Wind near zero for both tests.

Interestingly, the bike is faster in Normal mode than Power mode. Power mode will get you from 0 - 60 faster, but the rev limits are reached at the high end before reaching the highest speeds.

There has been some discussion of whether the top speed reached in "real world" riding is a limit on maximum available power, or if there is an electronic limiter cutting in at ~100MPH actual. If it's the latter, then adding one of the aftermarket black boxes designed to correct the speedometer error may allow a higher maximum true speed by "tricking" the limiter.

Reports from Japan of a Burgman (Skywave) 650 doing 130MPH seem farfetched, but I suppose it may be theoretically possible with a factory tuned machine with all the electronics set for speed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
well i have had mine up to 120 and for sustained time. 10 miles. it took just about the tank of gs to do it. was in a race with co worker. had a goldwing to 135 and again to 150 the corvete gave up. but 150 was not sustained. anyway i don't really want the bike to go that fast just had to see if the advertisement was correct. and to give it some high speed break-in time. i didn't have any viberation or shimmy but did enjoy some wind buffeting. but you know if you fall going that fast there won't be much left to scrape up off the road.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bob,

Where did you sustain 120mph/10 miles, around muskegon? I have a B400 and between Muskegon and Nunica I maintained 92-95mph :eek: until I saw a State boy and cut it down to 80. Every time I go fast in west MIchigan I always see a cop so I was wondering where you got to go so fast for so long?

ekp in Grand Haven

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Guys...
I'm Posting frome Italy (rome)
i don't remember the relationship which there is between Kilometres and miles...
my Burghy 650 as signed like top speed 196 km/h.

Sure my suzuki has a positively view of the life... :wink: :wink:

Luca.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Km is 62.5% of a mile so if you are doing 100 Km/hr that is 62.5 mph.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
luca said:
i don't remember the relationship which there is between Kilometres and miles...my Burghy 650 as signed like top speed 196 km/h.
1.6 kilometres per mile. So 196 km/h = 122.5 MPH. :shock:

Burgman 650 speedometers read 10% high, so your actual speed was 110 MPH. That's faster than any of the American and Canadian riders I know of have gone. The European models must be set up differently.

I want one! :twisted:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
I do not really know if the European Burgman have a different setup.
I only know that 190-192Km/H, it is the usual top speed for many model of burghy.
196 Km/h during the last winter, in a highway with one light slope.

Luca.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
luca said:
Hi
I do not really know if the European Burgman have a different setup.
I only know that 190-192Km/H, it is the usual top speed for many model of burghy.
196 Km/h during the last winter, in a highway with one light slope.

Luca.
Well as you know I do not have a Lardy quite yet!

The speed Luca quotes seems about right. 192Km/hr is equal to 119mph, now we know the speed indication is optimistic, lets say by overcooking it by 6%, then that would give a true speed of 180 or 112 respectively.

BTW Luca - your avatar ain't a Burger! :shock:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
The speed Luca quotes seems about right. 192Km/hr is equal to 119mph...
That's faster than anyone on this side of the pond is getting (among those who I believe, that is).

We're all seeing 112 - 115MPH indicated, 100.8 - 103.5 true, as maximums. So 119 indicated (and I thought 192 km/h was 122 MPH, BTW) is higher than I've seen by a significant margin.

On a related note, while the 400 speedos seem to be off by 6%, the 650s seem to be almost exactly 10% "optimistic" according to testing we've done.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brian said:
NormanB said:
The speed Luca quotes seems about right. 192Km/hr is equal to 119mph...
That's faster than anyone on this side of the pond is getting (among those who I believe, that is).

We're all seeing 112 - 115MPH indicated, 100.8 - 103.5 true, as maximums. So 119 indicated (and I thought 192 km/h was 122 MPH, BTW) is higher than I've seen by a significant margin.

On a related note, while the 400 speedos seem to be off by 6%, the 650s seem to be almost exactly 10% "optimistic" according to testing we've done.
Hey Brian

I do not know and I trust your judgement implicitly.
I use this for conversions CONVERT
With a 10 % error then the true Luca max is 173.8 and 108 respectively. BTW I make 192 Km as 119.3 miles :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
luca said:
Yes!!! isn't a Burgman... it is only the Fazer of a friend :lol:

Here my wonderfull Burghy...
Burgy
Nice one :) - is that an E52 Givi, and the helmet (Caberg Justissimo?)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
...BTW I make 192 Km as 119.3 miles :)
You're correct.

I've been using 1.6 kilometers per mile for years, but I just went to a metric standards organizations Web site, and found that it's actually 1.6093880972338642078792958927075 kilometers per mile, and that extra 0.009388... kilometers really adds up when dealing with larger distances. :x

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I was not using that 5 on the end either! :wink: :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts