Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advance, I tried searching for this info, and just got more confused then when I started.
I recently picked up an 08 650 Executive with the backrest. I'd like to install a top box. It seems Bestem is no longer making them, but does make an accessory mounting plate, or at least they seem available on some sites.
I'm also considering a tubular luggage rack on ebay, made for the Burgman using the three stock attachment points, and use the universal mount that comes with some of the top boxes. Then, because my backrest will be removed, I understand there will be an opening in the tupperware when I remove the backrest, and I could purchase that plastic panel from Suzuki ? I've put lots of boxes on bikes, but usually mounting them directly to the existing luggage rack, this is a bit different.
Oh, and I'm looking at some of the more frugal budget choices of top boxes on Amazon\Ebay\Cyclegear, etc, not necessarily Shad or Givi. Oxford, or no name. Thanks again for any help or suggestions... Byron.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
For that rear cover it's # 12 here:
2008 Suzuki Burgman (AN650A) SIDE COVER (AN650 | CyclePartsNation Suzuki Parts Nation
Don't forget to pick the right color (the last 3 letters of part number determine that).
Actually on the 2008 (or any PRE-2013 model) isn't that cover separate from the actual backrest anyway? If it is then keep that part on the bike since the backrest and any rear rack or top case mounting uses the same attachment points and the same holes that would be in the cover.

I recommend Kappa top cases. They are a branch of Givi but cost a bit less. Made the same though even if slightly different styling. Same mounting as Givi so interchangeable. That's what I have on mine now.

Reactions: ByronW

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that link. I haven't removed the backrest yet, but it sounds like it will leave a hole in the plastic, which I think might be covered by the top box anyway.. so not sure if I actually need it or not. I mean, a new cover won't have the 3 holes for the rack or plate to mount, so I'd be drilling into it. The backrest will leave a large opening with access to the 3 mounting points, and might be invisible with the top box on anyway. I don't think I'll be removing the top box once it's on.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
The holes ya use are the same ones to mount the rack etc like ya said.

I put a little RTV black around the pipes for my OEM rack that I added (and mounted my Bestem to)
1594865955561.png
Probably any decent sealer would work but that's what I had around... I originally was thinking of gluing on O Rings as well but the RTV seems to have done fine.
Only drawback is if you remove it you'll have to reseal it, but how often are you going to do that?

After ya add a rack, just mount the case to the rack. I have the Bestem kit but have had no real problems so haven't gotten around to installing it..if you do, get some washers or something. The OEM tubes you mount it too are a bit short.

Reactions: ByronW

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that looks alot like a rack I'm watching on Ebay for about $ 90 delivered. I figured I'd order that and attach any box I find with its included plate.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Saw that (see below).
They used to be quite a bit more, I think $240 originally, but that seems to be the going rate these days.
I guess the last bike they fit rolled off the line in 2012 so the market just ain't what it was for 'em.

Thanks, that looks alot like a rack I'm watching on Ebay for about $ 90 delivered. I figured I'd order that and attach any box I find with its included plate.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks for that link. I haven't removed the backrest yet, but it sounds like it will leave a hole in the plastic, which I think might be covered by the top box anyway.. so not sure if I actually need it or not. I mean, a new cover won't have the 3 holes for the rack or plate to mount, so I'd be drilling into it. The backrest will leave a large opening with access to the 3 mounting points, and might be invisible with the top box on anyway. I don't think I'll be removing the top box once it's on.
The new plastic cover I linked to should have cross marks on the underside to provide center for where to drill for those mounting holes. When I added a Givi to my 2005 Burgman 650 I took the extra step to drill rather small holes first and test fitted the cover to ensure I had the right locations and then drilled it out with the proper sized holes. IIRC the Givi mount, as also with my current 2013 Suzuki official mounting, used grommets in the holes through which the spacers passed to fill in any gaps. If you add grommets make sure to get some with a wide enough grove around the edge for the plastic.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I'll order the rack on ebay, and source out a medium sized top box. I appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
If he has the exec he doesn't need to drill.
The holes are already there for the backrest.
You can even reuse the bolts to hold down the rack; albeit I went to some stainless ones, & then used RTV to glue in the bolt covers to keep the weather out of 'em.

The new plastic cover I linked to should have cross marks on the underside to provide center for where to drill for those mounting holes. When I added a Givi to my 2005 Burgman 650 I took the extra step to drill rather small holes first and test fitted the cover to ensure I had the right locations and then drilled it out with the proper sized holes. IIRC the Givi mount, as also with my current 2013 Suzuki official mounting, used grommets in the holes through which the spacers passed to fill in any gaps. If you add grommets make sure to get some with a wide enough grove around the edge for the plastic.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, everything is on order, I'm looking forward to getting addons done on this new to me scoot. Next, the way too tall Givi Windshield. I'm considering cutting off about 3 inches, but, that's another day.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The top box won't cover the hole where the backrest used to be. I had to order the pillion cover to cover the area where the backrest used to be. Mine is a 2015 650 and the backrest and pillion cover were one piece.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
The top box won't cover the hole where the backrest used to be. I had to order the pillion cover to cover the area where the backrest used to be. Mine is a 2015 650 and the backrest and pillion cover were one piece.
Kelly, that is true for the 2013 and up 650's.

But Byron's is a 2008 and the Exec backrest holes are the same from 2002-2012 and interchange with the GIVI top box plate and that cargo rack on Ebay.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
As I mentioned in post 2 I do remember that the early model Executives did not need a new cover when the backrest was removed.
Also, as I included in my thread on removing the backrest on my 2013 and installing a top case the cover is not there as it is on the 2012 and earlier models. So for the 2013 and newer there is the need to get that cover to, um, cover the hole left when the backrest is gone. One of the bigger differences between old and new styling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Kelly, that is true for the 2013 and up 650's.

But Byron's is a 2008 and the Exec backrest holes are the same from 2002-2012 and interchange with the GIVI top box plate and that cargo rack on Ebay.
Oops sorry forgot that he had an earlier model. My mistake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts