Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Most of these I’ve traversed, but I attempted to avoid personal bias by including a few I’d like to add to my personal list of best roads ridden. So much exists out there to ride a top 10 list doesn’t do justice, nay, not even a top 100 list would begin to scratch the amount of asphalt deemed epic by motorcycle standards. These are but 10 of the best known stretches; the roads that every motorcyclist should at least ride a few of in his or her lifetime.

Often, the best roads to ride are the hidden gems you stumble across by chance, during an episode of losing your way from the road more travelled, only to be lost to romantic memory upon an attempt to relocate said road. A few times I’ve attempted to retrace an unplanned detour of riding excellence only to find it’s seemingly vanished like some version of moto-Brigadoon.
Read more about the Top 10 Places To Ride In North America at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
753 Posts
That was interesting. There were I couple that I would have added but everyone has their favorites that are not on the list I am sure.

The Dragon at Deal's Gap sure was a good road at one time. Twenty years ago it was a nice ride. Ride it from one end to the other and see a handful of other riders. It is a bit tiring and unless you stop at an overlook there certainly is no way you can sightsee. The road is a bit perilous and one needs to pay a lot of attention when riding it. I found out many years ago on a Katana 600 when I was play racing a buddy. No broken bones but a wrecked bike and some impressive bruises.

The Pacific Coast highway is quite a ride for sure. Have only done it once but want to again. Went in August and never took off a winter coat and heavy gloves the whole trip.

Living where I do I have many a mile of wonderful roads to ride but the USA is a big place and every state has some place that makes for good riding. Some just better than others.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Quite a few fun roads around SE Ohio near Marietta. I'm hoping to get the B400 down there for a day or two.
Also Rt 421 "The Snake" in eastern TN. :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've done a couple of these, Idylwille and monterey. They are pretty spectacular. But ca is blessed with a lot of good riding places.

I do disagree with their contention that there is no good riding south of San Luis Obispo. There's plenty, just need to know where to go. :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
There's plenty, just need to know where to go. :D
The article should have been titled: Top 10 Motorcycle Destinations?

Natchez Trace Parkway is a great destination, not particularly a great ride/road. For me the road does not have to be fantastic all the time. A four lane in the mountains of NC is still pretty great.

I would love to do some of those - Pacific Coast Highway for sure. I've done the Dragon multiples and most of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Snake. BUT there are great roads almost EVERYWHERE, if as Liamjs says, "you know where to go."

I'm blessed to live in Middle/East TN. Within 100 miles in any direction there are many great rides. From 38506, a day ride can take you to AL., GA., Southern KY., The Smokies, etc.

Last year I rode over 15K and only left the area once. (No commuting)

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
735 Posts
Last March I rode Skyline Drive from San Jose to Half Moon Bay, then hooked up with the PCH, through San Francisco then over the Golden Gate, all the way to the intersection with US-101, then another 40 miles to Phillipsville. It was about 330 miles which made a long but nice day. The only issue was a gale-force northerly (well over 40mph headwind) that really wore me down and made looking at the incredible scenery while riding almost impossible. As a fairly new rider, it scared the h**l out of me a few times, especially when coming around a blind curve on this 2-lane road cut into the cliff 300 feet above the ocean and going from no wind in a canyon into the wind blast. I never could predict which way it was going to blast me, into the cliff or over the guardrail into the sea. Eight hours of that was more than enough. The next day, the gale followed me into Oregon on US-101 so after 350 more miles I decided to treat myself to 2 glorious nights in a lovely seaside motel to rest (Fireside Inn, Yachats, OR, highly recommended).

Having said all that, I CAN'T WAIT to ride that route again. Next time, hopefully I can ride the southern portion of the PCH from Santa Cruz to Morro Bay also. Haven't done that in many decades and it was in a cage so it doesn't count now. That stretch of US-101 in Oregon south of Yachats has some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen anywhere in the world.

VERY highly recommended!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm blessed to live in Middle/East TN. Within 100 miles in any direction there are many great rides.

Sirkitrider
I moved here from Lebanon Tennessee which is not too far from you. And you are right, there are many a fine road in Tennessee. But one reason why (about the main reason I guess) I moved to Idaho were the roads here. One ride to Hel l's Canyon will explain that.

But I also like roads where you can ride for miles and not see hardly a soul. And come to a small town of maybe a couple thousand people and then not see anyone again for a half an hour or so. I sure enjoy that.

Got a rainy here today. :( Poor Burgman aint seen a mile all week. Ah well. In a day or two it will all clear up and I will out doing what I love best once again. Come springtime- watch out!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
So many great roads in CA. and Hwy 58 is one of them (although I'd rate Hwy 36 higher). 58 has it all, wide sweepers, tight twisties, elevation changes, crossing the San Andreas fault, stretches of rollercoaster road, and long straights thru 'magnificent desolation'. It's about 80 miles from oil country in the Central Valley to San Luis Obispo wine country on the western end.

I loved it when everything was brown in late June 2010. I've been waiting for a wet winter so I can ride it again in our short wildflower season. We've finally had some rain, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the year.

Flowers is a stock photo of a side canyon off Hwy 58, and a few taken by the wife riding pillion.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Everyone has their favorites. I would have put Angeles Crest Highway over Pacific Coast Highway in So Cal. PCH has more views but ACH is a better ride.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Quite a few fun roads around SE Ohio near Marietta. I'm hoping to get the B400 down there for a day or two.
+2. I got a few more to ride before I need to go out of state.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You need to ride my favorite ride on the way to the Snake. The Snake is about 35 miles from my house but the Back of the Dragon is 3. The Back of the Dragon is a better, longer and less traveled than the Tail of the Dragon. I didn't know how special Rt 16 was since I had ridden on it for decades until I wasted the time to go ride the famous Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuHAeI29S04

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I've done a couple of these, Idylwille and monterey. They are pretty spectacular. But ca is blessed with a lot of good riding places.

I do disagree with their contention that there is no good riding south of San Luis Obispo. There's plenty, just need to know where to go. :D
They seem to have forgotten (or never really explored) the San Gabriel and Santa Monica Mountains.

Looks like they're based out of Toronto, Canada -- which suggests that what they might personally know of Southern California roads comes from visiting and secondhand reports rather than spending months here with a bike, a map, and nothing better to do. (Really though, is there anything better to do? :) ). The best-known destinations/routes around here are pretty good, but the best routes aren't well known, and are much better than the ones "everyone" knows about.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That was a good article. However, living in the East also provides many wonderful rides, short and long. For instance, country roads around Gettysburg, PA provide beautiful scenery and give you an historical perspective of the Civil War, Route 6 across northern Pennsylvania, covered bridges in and around Lancaster county, anywhere around the Chesapeake Bay, and on and on. Maybe not as spectacular as the California ones, but great on a motorcycle just the same.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'll vouch for highway 1 in California. Stunning. Plus, on two wheels, you can pull off and take photos where cars won't fit (narrow shoulders).

Also, go up to Palomar Mountain in San Diego County. I think it's S6. Up the windy road, and down the east side. Stopping to eat at the hippie restaurant at the top, then Dudley's Bakery. :)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
That was a good article. However, living in the East also provides many wonderful rides, short and long. For instance, country roads around Gettysburg, PA provide beautiful scenery and give you an historical perspective of the Civil War, Route 6 across northern Pennsylvania, covered bridges in and around Lancaster county, anywhere around the Chesapeake Bay, and on and on. Maybe not as spectacular as the California ones, but great on a motorcycle just the same.
I would love to ride in the East - the places you mention, as well as Tennessee and N. Carolina. But I don't enjoy the Interstates (not in the Burgman's wheelhouse, suspension-wise IMHO), so the idea of crossing the Great Plains is not appealing to me. Still, I would like to venture out of California. Looks like Oregon is likely this summer. Maybe Utah and Colorado next year.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would love to ride in the East - the places you mention, as well as Tennessee and N. Carolina. But I don't enjoy the Interstates (not in the Burgman's wheelhouse, suspension-wise IMHO), so the idea of crossing the Great Plains is not appealing to me. Still, I would like to venture out of California. Looks like Oregon is likely this summer. Maybe Utah and Colorado next year.
Oregon has some awesome riding. Head for Baker City. It is a great place to stage from. There is incredible riding any direction you go from there. If you can go north from Enterprise to Lewiston, too. You will love the Rattlesnake Grade Road, and check out the Old Spiral Highway while you're there..

The State of Oregon has a motorcycle map. It's hard to find, but it's out there. Try and get one before you head out. The pdf version in online: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/Motorcycle/Form_737-3479_08-10_VERSION_CROPPED_created_04-08-13.pdf

Have fun
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Ron;
Had to look up your reference to the "Snake" in Tenn. since that area has some of the best rides I have been on. And after finding it on the map, an I agree that #421 is a great ride.
My favorite is the Cherohala Skyway, especially the Appx. 51M from Telco Plains, East to Robbinsville and it is in my plans to do this area again in July of this year.
I have ridden the Dragon. Just to say, "Been there. done that". But To me it has too much traffic and speed that takes away the pleasure of the ride.
I plan to include some of the Park Features including "Cades Cove" Roaring Creek Motor Trail" "Laurel Creek Road and Parson Branch Roads "And am looking forward , with anticipation to this ride.
If you know of any other interesting points, I am open for suggestions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This thread strengthens my belief that all the sightseeing you could ever ask for is right here in the good old US of A. All you gotta do is get off the couch and look around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts