Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I started working on my 2008 Burgman 400, I've separated out all tools that fit, and indeed are required, for servicing and fixing the bike.

The idea is to carry exactly what is needed, but no more, on a long remote trip, where I want to be as self-sufficient as possible.

So far this is the list - would you be so kind as to see if I'm missing anything important?

Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Tool Office supplies Wood

Tools​
Qty
tyre iron 25 cm​
tyre iron 40cm​
tyre repair punch​
tyre valve tool​
cutter​
white-out​
yellow notes​
pack
pencil​
magnet​
mirror​
small flathead screwdriver​
small pry​
phillips screwdriver​
flathead screwdriver​
long-nose pliers​
valve feeler​
wrench / spanner 8, 10 mm​
allen key 4, 5, 6 mm​
1/2" allen socket 12 mm​
1/2" socket extension​
1/2" flexible extension​
1/2" spark plug socket 16 mm​
1/2" sockets 8, 10, 12, 14 mm​
1/2" sockets 24, 32 mm​
Big Bertha 3/4" breaker bar​
3/4" to 1/2" adaptor​
torx key T20​
multimeter​
wire probe for FI​

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Briliant suggestions - thanks.

Added to the list! 8)

I have an air compressor (2 actually, since driving in the desert requires deflating, most 4x4s here carry one) it's portable, but it's not motorcycle small...

It's the twin cylinder version, and it can handle large off-road tyres, even inflating 8-12 consecutively, and can seat a bead, when needed. So it's a bit overkill, and I'm not sure if I should apply the "use what you've already got" principle. I'll try modify it, at least to reduce its size, if not weight. I doubt I can remove one of the cylinders, but the handle, case, coiled hose, etc., could be removed.

Extra fuel, I've been thinking about. As well as extra water. How comfortable would you be strapping a 5-liter jerry can onto the passenger footboard?

I could put water one side, and gasoline the other.

And make sure I drop it to the water side, if I have to! :LOL:

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Um… aren’t those tire irons overkill without a tire? Not that easy to find the proper size tire.
+1 to the mini air compressor. But I’m still searching for the right one.
Yes, you're right. I'd need to buy the new tyre, and that would come from a shop that installs tyres... therefore making my tyre irons useless.

They're also good for prying things back into place, and banging things, but with all the plastic on the Burgman, they won't help much.

Other than that, what would I be able to use them for?

I'll reconsider including them, thanks.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes, there's a lot to be said in favor of innertubes.

The portable compressors we carry in UAE (and hence what I already have to take with me on the Burgman) are twin-cylinder jobbies that do sit beads. Even of large 4x4 tyres. Pretty impressive piece of kit, actually. I was worrying too big for the bike, but the Burgman just laughed and swallowed it up into its belly! Not really mini, but portable. A lot of 4x4s mount it in the boot and then run a long curly hose out from there.

Then I have the sticky strips to plug punctures.

But for a long trip, without carrying a spare tyre, should I carry tyre irons? I've always taken them so I didn't even consider leaving them out, but @Cosmic Jumper makes a good point - so, innertubes, which I could insert to keep going... Sounds good 😎

I guess I'd have to worry about the front more, given the darkside potential of the rear...

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A block of wood cut to rest the front fork on if you hve to remove the front wheel, or a sturdy box of the right dimensions which could hold some of the tools as well.
All good advice, thanks.

This one particularly I'll work on as I love the dual-use, or reusability of it. Sure one can always find a few stones and improvise, but much better to have a ready-made and tested soluton at hand.

Though, come to think of it, I didn't rest the front fork on anything when I removed the front wheel... Yes, I leaned the bike over and footed in a standing jack under frame, and leaned it back and that kept it lifted. But the plastics were off, and I had the bare frame available.

Would you go for a box that sits under the radiator? It's plastic, but right up against metal, if I'm not mistaken. I could lean the bike over on the centerstand and prop it up there.

I'll have to do some measuring and tests - thanks!

What about rear wheel? Haven't removed that yet..

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really like this thread…. could we get an updated photo when you get a chance.
Great tips, thanks!

Yes, I'll gladly share pics, as well the complete list.

I'm still really amazed so much fit into the Burg's belly... I started off as light and tight as I dared, and I was expecting to have to whittle it down further - now I'm in the fortunate position of actually being able to add a few choice items!

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ah, interesting! I already took them out, since the bike came without tool kit, and I figured removing them would give me a bit wider space - BUT...

Now that you mentioned it, I'm going to see if they can be fortified and hidden, like little safety compartments!! 😎

Excellent... some sort of inner liner that goes all the way up, covering those two panels... and maybe I can figuree out some sort of lock. Though, certainly camouflaging them would be much better. Whatever lock I can install can be broken as they're just plastic in the end. Maybe reinforced with metal from the inside?

Excellent suggestion, thanks! I was already scouting for a hideaway for a spare key. I usually duct-tape one to the chassis, just so if I lose my key in the sand, I can just slide under and retrieve the spare! 😎

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Since 2014 (I just checked my email, for the order) I've been wearing a Road ID bracelet every time I ride.

Excellent, and I've been thinking of this for a while, even just for my regular rides - thanks.

Placing my order.

And, this is what shoppers outside USA like to see!!! Business owners with worldwide reach take note...

Wood Font Adaptation Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Are you going with Road ID? I didn't see that free shipping on their site -- just curious.
Yes, popped up on their site.

USD 24.99, it's a deal for the peace of mind it gives!

You know, they prolly see overseas origin from my IP, and therefore display the free shipping offer - clever.

Actually, shipping, or let's say "doesn't ship outside US" is one of the bummers of the web. Interestingly, China ships everywhere, no issues, and also usually has the cost embedded in their prices.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thank you kindly - awesome of you to offer.

I won't disturb you, my daughter is there and she'll handle it. She owes me 😉 I kind of gave her life 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@wspollack thanks for the RoadID suggestion - they've been great to deal with!

Not only a useful and I'd even say necessary product for riders, and at a reasonable price, with free international shipping, but they also have a sense of humor/humour!

I had Eddie the Yeti pack it for me :LOL:

Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycle wheel Font

And they're organized - my order was sent today, a day after placing it!

Glad to add my recommendation for Road ID emergency info bracelet (no affiliation, not a shareholder, and no hostile takeover planned 😁)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts