Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I started working on my 2008 Burgman 400, I've separated out all tools that fit, and indeed are required, for servicing and fixing the bike.

The idea is to carry exactly what is needed, but no more, on a long remote trip, where I want to be as self-sufficient as possible.

So far this is the list - would you be so kind as to see if I'm missing anything important?

Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Tool Office supplies Wood

Tools​
Qty
tyre iron 25 cm​
tyre iron 40cm​
tyre repair punch​
tyre valve tool​
cutter​
white-out​
yellow notes​
pack
pencil​
magnet​
mirror​
small flathead screwdriver​
small pry​
phillips screwdriver​
flathead screwdriver​
long-nose pliers​
valve feeler​
wrench / spanner 8, 10 mm​
allen key 4, 5, 6 mm​
1/2" allen socket 12 mm​
1/2" socket extension​
1/2" flexible extension​
1/2" spark plug socket 16 mm​
1/2" sockets 8, 10, 12, 14 mm​
1/2" sockets 24, 32 mm​
Big Bertha 3/4" breaker bar​
3/4" to 1/2" adaptor​
torx key T20​
multimeter​
wire probe for FI​

·
Super Moderator
4,496 Posts
Assorted zip ties? A million uses and take up little room.

I carry a good quality multi tool rather than long nosed pliers
(Leatherman wave with 1 leaf of accessories and LED lens or P3 torch in belt case)

That gives me selected Torx, Allen hex, flat and cross screw bits, file, saw, scissors, wire cutters and knife.
The driver bits go down to 1.5 mm so can be useful on glasses, electrical gadgets etc.
However the nose is not as long.

edit: I store/carry this separately to proper screwdriver etc as backup in case my tools disappear and to fill in for unexpected sizes. It only replaces the pliers.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Well, the responses above include many of the items in my tool bag that I've moved from bike to bike over the years. Here are my additions to your list, @prossett :
I think we're starting to see a pattern here, huh, folks?

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Briliant suggestions - thanks.

Added to the list! 8)

I have an air compressor (2 actually, since driving in the desert requires deflating, most 4x4s here carry one) it's portable, but it's not motorcycle small...

It's the twin cylinder version, and it can handle large off-road tyres, even inflating 8-12 consecutively, and can seat a bead, when needed. So it's a bit overkill, and I'm not sure if I should apply the "use what you've already got" principle. I'll try modify it, at least to reduce its size, if not weight. I doubt I can remove one of the cylinders, but the handle, case, coiled hose, etc., could be removed.

Extra fuel, I've been thinking about. As well as extra water. How comfortable would you be strapping a 5-liter jerry can onto the passenger footboard?

I could put water one side, and gasoline the other.

And make sure I drop it to the water side, if I have to! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
put the duct tape in a plastic bag, you can use the bag later if necessary, and when that tape gets hot , it leaks adhesive out the sides like dynamite sweats nitroglycerine, messy and can cause explosive badwords

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Um… aren’t those tire irons overkill without a tire? Not that easy to find the proper size tire.
+1 to the mini air compressor. But I’m still searching for the right one.
Yes, you're right. I'd need to buy the new tyre, and that would come from a shop that installs tyres... therefore making my tyre irons useless.

They're also good for prying things back into place, and banging things, but with all the plastic on the Burgman, they won't help much.

Other than that, what would I be able to use them for?

I'll reconsider including them, thanks.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Yes, you're right. I'd need to buy the new tyre, and that would come from a shop that installs tyres... therefore making my tyre irons useless.
If a tubeless tyre bead breaks with the rim, a mini compressor isn't going to put it back on.

One inner tube each size (13" + 14") wouldn’t take so much space as two spare tyres.
If not, then a "sticky string" kit for emergencies.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes, there's a lot to be said in favor of innertubes.

The portable compressors we carry in UAE (and hence what I already have to take with me on the Burgman) are twin-cylinder jobbies that do sit beads. Even of large 4x4 tyres. Pretty impressive piece of kit, actually. I was worrying too big for the bike, but the Burgman just laughed and swallowed it up into its belly! Not really mini, but portable. A lot of 4x4s mount it in the boot and then run a long curly hose out from there.

Then I have the sticky strips to plug punctures.

But for a long trip, without carrying a spare tyre, should I carry tyre irons? I've always taken them so I didn't even consider leaving them out, but @Cosmic Jumper makes a good point - so, innertubes, which I could insert to keep going... Sounds good 😎

I guess I'd have to worry about the front more, given the darkside potential of the rear...

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
Yes, there's a lot to be said in favor of innertubes.

The portable compressors we carry in UAE (and hence what I already have to take with me on the Burgman) are twin-cylinder jobbies that do sit beads. Even of large 4x4 tyres. Pretty impressive piece of kit, actually. I was worrying too big for the bike, but the Burgman just laughed and swallowed it up into its belly! Not really mini, but portable. A lot of 4x4s mount it in the boot and then run a long curly hose out from there.

Then I have the sticky strips to plug punctures.

But for a long trip, without carrying a spare tyre, should I carry tyre irons? I've always taken them so I didn't even consider leaving them out, but @Cosmic Jumper makes a good point - so, innertubes, which I could insert to keep going... Sounds good 😎

I guess I'd have to worry about the front more, given the darkside potential of the rear...
keep in mind inner tubes inside a tubeless tire are not recommended as a "permanent fix" but a good temporary one if no valve stem problems

Reactions: prossett

·
Registered
AN400 K8
104 Posts
A tin of that tyre sealant that they supply with cars these days instead of a real spare wheel. A couple of schraeder valve cores just in case you lose one. A block of wood cut to rest the front fork on if you hve to remove the front wheel, or a sturdy box of the right dimensions which could hold some of the tools as well. A torch and a 12V mobile phone charging lead.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A block of wood cut to rest the front fork on if you hve to remove the front wheel, or a sturdy box of the right dimensions which could hold some of the tools as well.
All good advice, thanks.

This one particularly I'll work on as I love the dual-use, or reusability of it. Sure one can always find a few stones and improvise, but much better to have a ready-made and tested soluton at hand.

Though, come to think of it, I didn't rest the front fork on anything when I removed the front wheel... Yes, I leaned the bike over and footed in a standing jack under frame, and leaned it back and that kept it lifted. But the plastics were off, and I had the bare frame available.

Would you go for a box that sits under the radiator? It's plastic, but right up against metal, if I'm not mistaken. I could lean the bike over on the centerstand and prop it up there.

I'll have to do some measuring and tests - thanks!

What about rear wheel? Haven't removed that yet..

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
I really like this thread…. could we get an updated photo when you get a chance.

On carrying Duct Tape ….. a whole roll is sorta over-kill. If you take an expired credit card or something similar the width of your tape and take your time and wrap 8ft that should be enough to get you to civilization.

Also a flat sheet of plastic that can be rolled to serve as a funnel for your emergency fuel-ups.

A couple unrelated thoughts …. your emergency medical info taped to your helmet and if you have any shirts or socks with holes or missing buttons wear those starting out and just throw away when they stink. A mesh backpack serves as a good clothes dryer while exposed and riding. and a couple bandanas are worth their weight.

·
Super Moderator
4,496 Posts
That flat sheet of plastic is a good tip.
I found the soft document binders/folder were flexible enough to be useful and rigid enough not to collapse. Test t with fuel if you aren’t sure wwhat it’s made of.
Also handy for water, blowing stuff out of hard to reach places and as a light blocking tube/screen so you can see into awkward places in bright sunshine

edit: oh, and draining oil/coolant into beer bottles and bean tins, stopping the filling with rain and putting it back in again (not a fun day)

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really like this thread…. could we get an updated photo when you get a chance.
Great tips, thanks!

Yes, I'll gladly share pics, as well the complete list.

I'm still really amazed so much fit into the Burg's belly... I started off as light and tight as I dared, and I was expecting to have to whittle it down further - now I'm in the fortunate position of actually being able to add a few choice items!

·
Super Moderator
4,496 Posts
You probabl already noticed but:
There are 2 “secret” compartments in the under seat bucket, one either side. Only big enough to carry small tool roll or puncture repair and CO2 inflators - but when every bit of space counts :)
Also gets overlooked if anybody rifles through your stuff

1 - 20 of 46 Posts