Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I rode my 1400 intruder to the dealer and was able to test ride a black Burgman 650. Rode about 20 miles. Great acceleration and it is really fun to ride. I found the wind screen to be too low. The wind hit me right in the face. Quite a bit of wind noise. I'm 5' 9" with a 30" inseam and also thought the seat was a little high and too far forward( I checked, it was all the way back). Has anyone tried the laminar lip. It looks like it should help. Part of my problem may be the helmet. I wear a HCJ 23 open face with a flip down shield.

I also miss the back rest, I'm sure one of my first purchases would be the back rest made by the guy in Austin (can't find the web site now). :(

What type of saddle bags are being used? It looks like hard bags would interfere with the view from the mirrors. Still have not been able to find a cost for the top box with backrest--any suggestions? :?

I think my next bike may be a scooter instead of the Gold Wing. :?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Congrats on the test ride, maybe scoot. 8)

One of the first mods many riders make is an aftermarket windshield. Do a search here for Givi, Gustafsson, and Clearview and you'll get quite a few hits.

I haven't done that yet, but I did remove the "butt stop." I have a 36" inseam, and my knees were just brushing the glove box. Now I have a few inches to spare. There are two holes in the seat where the old rest mounted, but I don't mind. I will most likely get the Corbin seat for Christmas. A less expensive option is to turn the old butt stop into a backrest with a metal riser bracket. One of those has been shown here in one thread or another.

Several members have the Givi top boxes, including Pauljo, one of our esteemed moderators.

Because of the huge trunk, most Burgman riders I know of don't have saddlebags; although a few do for really long trips. Because they sit low and far back (strapping either over or under the seat at the rear passenger's station) they probably don't block the mirror view too much.

I bought my 650 after test riding both it and the Honda Silverwing. The more I ride it, the happier I get.

Maybe we'll see your user name change from maybe scoot to got my scoot soon.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Everyone putting on top cases are using the Givi brand case. There is no hardware commercial available yet to mount the side cases to the Burgman. However this did not stop several members who manufactured there own and are willing to share there plans with everyone here. An alternative to the hard side cases are the soft cases which are easily adaptable to many different bikes. Givi also have these. Also available is a hump bag with more storage.

Utopia offer a driver backrest . One member here also offers a kit where it will raise the height of your own butt rest to support your back.

At less than half the cost of the Goldwing , you could trick out your Burgman and still save thousands.

Have fun deciding.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Am I the only one who does not have a Givi top box? I have a JCWhitney special, works great, looks a whole lot better than the bulbous Givi and I'm sure it's cheaper, too! Of, course, I had to buy a Burgman rack first and it cost more than the trunk! Oh, BTW, am I the only one who found the windscreen to be to tall and cut it down? In the summer, it gets way too hot without a breeze flowing through my riding suit. I always wear earplugs so the noise is not an issue.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Welcome,

I don't have one either. Sort of spendy for me, I thought about it mainly for the passinger backrest, something a little higher. If I need the extra storage I use my soft saddle bags, and they don't interfere with the mirrors. There a several different mods done by our members, everyone has different needs. I focused in the ride, mainly the seat for longer rides, modifying the butt rest to get an additional 1" or so. Softening the seat itself with Gel Pads and additional soft foam. I also added a GIVI windshield for more wind protection and less buffiting. The stock set up is fine for some, but everyone comes in different sizes and shapes so some mods usually make it that much better.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Burger Bob said:
Am I the only one who does not have a Givi top box?
I don't have a top box of any kind. So far I haven't needed any extra storage, 'though when I make my Border to Border run in three weeks I probably will.

I think I'll pick up a pair of the soft-sided saddlebags I've seen at my dealer, and maybe a soft top bag as well. Since I'm solo, having a bag that sits on the passenger's seat won't be an issue.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Laminar Lip, Givi trunk

I bought my 650 on July 14th - just broke 600 miles today. I ordered the Givi Trunk with a backrest and toprail the day I bought the bike, and installed it a week later. It fits and works great! My previous motor was a BMW R100RT with saddlebags and a trunk. With the space under the seat and the trunk, the Burgman has tons more space than my Beemer. I don't see a need for the saddlebags at this point, possibly softbags for a "tour". My wife says the backrest on the Burgman is a lot better than the lower one on the BMW.

I ordered the Laminar Lip almost immediately. I'm 6' with a 32 " inseam, and the buffeting has been virtually eliminated. It took about 10 minutes to install, and I would recommend it to anyone. I ordered the backrest, but tried to install it today, but wasn't able to get the phillips screws loose to take off the backrest. I also bought the "throttle rockers" and tested them today - won't stay in place - a waste of money.

Anyway, I hope this input helps - enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Givi bag cost

The Givi trunk with backrest and toprail cost $498.00 from RL Motorcycles-Cycle Saddles.com, Inc. - a site recommended by the Givi distributor. They called to correct the order I had submitted, and sent me an email for the UPS tracking.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Laminar Lip, Givi trunk

drspencer48 said:
I also bought the "throttle rockers" and tested them today - won't stay in place - a waste of money.
Interesting. I love my Throttle Rocker. Having done the same "600 miles in two days" trip -- once without it, and once with -- I'll never leave home without it again.

Did you get the version with the Velcro strap? Did you follow the directions for installing exactly (as to direction to thread the Velcro)?

If all else fails, call the company and heve them send you the rubber ring that fits the grip under the Velcro. They don't charge for it, IIRC, and it will help reduce slippage. (Mine said on the package that it came with the rubber ring, but it didn't.)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Laminar Lip, Givi trunk

drspencer48 said:
...wasn't able to get the phillips screws loose to take off the backrest.
Yeah, they're really tight! I couldn't get the Phillips driver that came with the bike to work, so I broke out my good tools and used a short-shaft Phillips driver; had to push down really hard while twisting to prevent stripping. It was worth the trouble though.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Want to loosen some screws, Try using a impact screw driver. Your local MAC Tool man or Snap-On tool man qill have on his truck.

Happy Trails
Poppy, #482

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Throttle Rocker I use does not require a velcro strap. It's just a springy kind of plastic that grips the throttle grip. I've used them on most of my bikes without a problem. It has the words "Throttle Rocker" stamped into the plastic. On long trips, it's a must.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Burger Bob said:
The Throttle Rocker I use does not require a velcro strap. It's just a springy kind of plastic that grips the throttle grip. I've used them on most of my bikes without a problem. It has the words "Throttle Rocker" stamped into the plastic. On long trips, it's a must.
Have you used that model on a Burgman? It looked to me like it was intended for larger diameter grips, unless they make more than one size.

The Velcro model is "universal," and yes, it too has "Throttle Rocker" molded into the plastic.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've transferred mine from one bike to another without noticing any difference in fit. Right now I have Pro-Gel grips, but they are no thicker than the originals. I've never used the thicker, foam type. The Throttle rocker works fine. The bottom line is that whatever type you use, the Throttle Rocker is a great innovation and really helps fight against wrist fatigue on a long trip. Or a short trip for that matter!

Cheers,

bob

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Thottle Rocker II

Hi

I ordered the throttle rocker as a result of the above posts.

5 days from order to delivery in UK - pretty good eh?

I love it - it is brilliant. :D :D :D

The Throttle Rocker - Rocks -

Throttle Rocker II = the velcro strap version - it came with a rubber sleeve.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I picked up one several weeks ago at a dealer and it works well on my fat foam grips. It was a hot day and my palm...the part on the Rocker...got sweaty so I glued on a thin piece of black foam that I had. Made it even better.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
ted clement said:
I picked up one several weeks ago at a dealer and it works well on my fat foam grips. It was a hot day and my palm...the part on the Rocker...got sweaty so I glued on a thin piece of black foam that I had. Made it even better.
Do you wear gloves?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I just wanted to let you know what a great company Throttle Rocker are.

When I received mine I emailed the owner of the company (Terry Chastagner ) to let him know it had arrived and that I had fitted and tested it. I also made a comment about the strap and that it might be improved.

He emailed me back that day to say he had posted a strap upgrade (Thursday 19 Aug) to me. It arrived this morning (Monda 23 Aug) and it is a real improvement. It is fitted and tested and I am very pleased with it.

What a superb example of how to treat your customers!

Throttle Rocker - Rocks :wav:

http://www.throttlerocker.com/

Throttle Rocker
PO Box 2478
Boulder Creek
CA 95006
(800) 757-2453

1 - 20 of 24 Posts