Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the itch to take a ride this morning since it's not 100 degrees outside so I started out in Katy, which is west of Houston, & had a nice route made out for a casual ride down into Ft. Bend county & back. Well, around Brookshire I missed a turn but I didn't particularly care as the scenery was quite nice & the road full of nice curves. As I crossed the Brazos river, I saw a huge statue out in the middle of nowhere. Hmmm, I turned around & found myself at San Felipe de Austin which is Stephen F. Austin's first colony in Texas. San Felipe de Austin (which was referred to by its settlers as "Austin"- thus the title of my post- was settled in 1823 & was unfortunately burned to the ground by its settlers during the Runaway Scrape as Santa Ana & his troops were pursuing Sam Houston & the Texians. (Not a typo).

Enjoy the pics; just a few of the many I took.

Of course, the obligatory pic of my white steed:

[/URL]

Stephen Fuller Austin

[/URL]

All roads led to San Felipe de Austin:

[/URL]

History of San Felipe de Austin:

[/URL]

How it looked like "back in the day":

[/URL]

A replica of the only home that Stephen F. Austin had in Texas:

[/URL]

The flag of independence in San Felipe de Austin:

[/URL]

Oh by the way, San Felipe de Austin is in Austin county, Texas. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Interesting, if I ever ride that far down south I might have to give it a look.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice pics amazing whats off the beaten path

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the tour. I accidentally went thru the major Austin, TX a couple weeks ago. Was cruising back roads and figured, well this can't be but so big. I forgot that big is what Texas does!

·
Registered
18 Posts
PS - If you can ride in Houston, you are all man, anyway! How many lanes of traffic is that again... lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
I lived in Dallas back in the late 60's and early 70's. I had come to there from out in West Texas, which has a slogan of "Miles and miles of miles and miles, where you can be knee deep in mud and being battered by a dust storm". I had a few occasions in which I found myself in Houston also. All I can say nice about that city is they have a lot of nice freeways leading OUT of that place! Austin, on the other hand is beautiful....or at least it was way back when. I haven't been back to Texas except to change planes or rent a car and drive up to Oklahoma, where my brother moved to from Dallas.....that is how much he dislikes Dallas. I would have liked to have gone to that 'Real Austin' site. I like history. You sometimes learn from it. ...and sometimes you are stupid and repeat history.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts