Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been laid up since Sept 3 because of an accident so have been chaffing at the bit to get out and ride. Today looked like the perfect chance, good weather, my cast is off, I don't have to keep my arm in a sling and since the B400 is an automatic you only really need one good hand to operate it; right? What could possibly go wrong??? So I bring out the bike and place it on the center stand to let it warm up while I'm getting my gear on, then I jump on the bike and can't get it off the center stand since it is sitting on a slight hill! My next bright idea was to stand beside the bike and push it off the center stand but since I only have one good hand (oops, that hand is on the same side of the body as my 3 busted ribs...) so I manage to get the bike off the center stand but then gravity takes over and down goes the bike on the pavement :tard: Do I need to mention that this is a new bike with no previous marks on it? :sad6:

I figure it doesn't look too bad...I'm taking off the handguards to fit my new Givi screen and the side scuffs can be touched up and covered with the mythical side wings that I'm trying to find so I decide I'm too desperate to ride to listen to karma and head out for the highway. It ended up being a great day. I managed to get in 517kms/321miles and the bike performed much better than I thought it would. Almost all of those miles were at speeds of 120-140 kph/75-85mph travelling up steep mountain highways and I found myself constantly having to slow the bike down rather than trying to force it to go faster. Granted it doesn't have much in reserve at these speeds but it didn't seem to be working hard at all and a couple of times I was amazed to look down and see it hitting the redline! I don't know what the mpg would be but the days end average was 22.1 kms/liter so stick that in your pipe and smoke it! My big reason for going out today was to see if this little bike would be able to take the place of my Wee-Strom on the highway and although it won't accelerate or pass like the Wee the B400 it was actually smoother at speed and of course gave much better gas mileage. I also changed my mind about the stock screen today and felt it worked pretty well although it let too much wind to hit you so that I would only want to use it in warmer weather. All in all I'm quite impressed with the little bike but I still have to get used to the handling of the small wheels and the limited suspension travel and it is not near as comfortable to ride as the Wee-Strom. I have to put my feet up on the passenger footboards to stretch out my back/pelvis area, I'm looking for a headrest to make a back rest with and I'm going through my storage sheds trying to find my old gel pads so I hope to get it dialed in for comfort soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm glad you finally went out and seems you're almost through in your recovery, my advice to getting the bike off the center stand is to have it with the parking brake activated, another thing, some riders get on the bike and slightly push forward with the legs to get it off the center stand. Try any of these techniques and find out which one works best for you.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Mitch seems to have a video how to do this properly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the problem was not that I don't know how to take it off the center stand (I've owned many scooters) but that the bike was facing uphill and the pavement was also sloped away from me. Then you add in my not quite healed injuries, a good dash of stupidity and forgetfulness (I know I have to use the side stand instead...) and you end up with a "customized paint job". I guess I was just thinking about the ride, even on flat ground I'm still having trouble putting out enough force to get the bike off the center stand :banghead:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Don't put it on the center stand. Mine only goes on the center stand to check or change the oil or to wash the rear wheel. It doesn't need to warm up. I start mine and go within a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
kimbo4, if it was hard to get it off the center stand i'll bet it was h*ll to get off the ground. :( I hope you heal completely soon.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Don't put it on the center stand. Mine only goes on the center stand to check or change the oil or to wash the rear wheel. It doesn't need to warm up. I start mine and go within a few seconds.
^This...

I removed the center stand from my 400; it lives on a lower shelf in the garage ready to have the two bolts inserted when I need it for servicing the scoot. Having ridden "big iron" for 45+ years, none having a center stand and too heavy to get it up on one even if it did, I cannot imagine ever having any need for it on the road.

"Warming up an engine" is a myth too--the best thing for any engine is to start it, let it stabilise for 5 to 10 seconds and then drive it at light/lighter loads until warmed up. Letting a cold engine idle builds up crap in the combustion chamber that find its way into the crankcase and becomes sludge when it condenses in the top end...

[edit]

I forgot to mention I disabled the side stand "safety" switch:

Even at my advanced age I do not find it takes a whole lot of brain power to remember to not "rev" the engine when the bike is on the side stand...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts