Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I did my first oil change by myself but may have added a few extra ounces. Shall I just still ride my 400 or do I have to remove those ounces first and if so, best way - short of unscrewing drain plug? ( i think that if I unscrew oil filler cap and run engine at idle then oil will be "blown out" that way)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Tom, yes to removing any overfilled oil. That is unless it's just the smallest amount. Running these engine overfilled will cause damage, particularly as they run at high rpm. They don't really burn any oil to speak of so the oil level will remain too high. The crankcase pressure will be raised over what it should be. This can damage the oil seals and suddenly you're in a world of pain! How you remove the oil is up to you. You can just suck some out with a piece of clear plastic tubing, but remember not to swallow it!! and then let it syphon into a jug. Or you can just drain some out. It's easy. My colleague overfilled his B400 by some good amount. I just put the bike on the centre stand and with the oil filler cap still screwed tight (to help reduce any sudden rush out of oil), slackened the drain plug until completely unthreaded, but held in place against the flow of oil and then allowed an amount to flow out. DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE COLD so as not to burn yourself and to reduce the flow rate to a more manageable level. To do the drain plug up just tighten it by hand a few turns then wipe around the threads and seating area with a clean cloth. Just tighten it carefully back up but don't over tighten. Very oil wet threads will strip more easily than near dry ones so nip it up carefully and keep and eye on it for a few days to make sure it doesn't leak. It should be fine, I've not had one leak. :cheers:

And well done for having a go and changing the oil. Just watch out next time not to overfill... :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the excellent tip of just unscrewing drain plug just a bit. i highly doubt that i will overfill it again!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
In a wet-sump engine where the oil supply is held in the crankcase directly below the rotating crank assembly, excess oil will obviously raise the oil level. If the level is high enough that the crank dips into the oil as it rotates the oil will be aerated (filled with tiny air bubbles). Air doesn't lubricate. The frothy oil will reduce oil pressure and oil flow and can result in damaged crank bearings.

I've removed excess oil from engines many times with a plastic turkey baster and a short length of plastic tubing.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
400 Burgman oil amount
Oil change 1.9 L (2.00/1.67 US/Imp qt)

Tom I use a clean container and measure the proper amount of oil to be added. It is only 1.9 liters which is 2 quarts. It is easy to get to much oil. I have also removed the drain plug and drained the oil and put in the proper amount after over filling.

AND do not go nuts tightening the drain plug. More than one owner has over tightened the plug.

If you want to get picky and use 2.1 liters when you also change the filter the point one is only an 1/8 of a qt.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Chet_Benson said:
400 Burgman oil amount

Tom I use a clean container and measure the proper amount of oil to be added. It is only 1.9 liters which is 2 quarts. It is easy to get to much oil. I have also removed the drain plug and drained the oil and put in the proper amount after over filling.

AND do not go nuts tightening the drain plug. More than one owner has over tightened the plug.

If you want to get picky and use 2.1 liters when you also change the filter the point one is only an 1/8 of a qt.
I was under the impression the volumes were 1.2 and 1.3L

I think 2L (or quarts for that matter) would fall into the 'bit too much' category.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quantum Mechanic said:
Tom, yes to removing any overfilled oil. That is unless it's just the smallest amount. Running these engine overfilled will cause damage, particularly as they run at high rpm. They don't really burn any oil to speak of so the oil level will remain too high. The crankcase pressure will be raised over what it should be. This can damage the oil seals and suddenly you're in a world of pain! How you remove the oil is up to you. You can just suck some out with a piece of clear plastic tubing, but remember not to swallow it!! and then let it syphon into a jug. Or you can just drain some out. It's easy. My colleague overfilled his B400 by some good amount. I just put the bike on the centre stand and with the oil filler cap still screwed tight (to help reduce any sudden rush out of oil), slackened the drain plug until completely unthreaded, but held in place against the flow of oil and then allowed an amount to flow out. DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE COLD so as not to burn yourself and to reduce the flow rate to a more manageable level. To do the drain plug up just tighten it by hand a few turns then wipe around the threads and seating area with a clean cloth. Just tighten it carefully back up but don't over tighten. Very oil wet threads will strip more easily than near dry ones so nip it up carefully and keep and eye on it for a few days to make sure it doesn't leak. It should be fine, I've not had one leak. :cheers:

And well done for having a go and changing the oil. Just watch out next time not to overfill... :wink:
Excellent post. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shop manual for 2009 400 says 1.2 liters if no filter change aND 1.3 liters if filter is changed. I used my torque wrench to set torque at 16.5 pounds. all is ok now and next time, b4 starting engine for 3 minutes per shop manual, I will first screw oil filler cap back on. That is how i lost oil then over added to compensate.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
These are the numbers for the 2005 400 I owned

I double checked my manual for my 2009 and yes it is as said 1.2 and 1.3. Like Tom said check the manual for your type of scooter.

Thanks for the correction, I was thinking that was too much oil. I remember it takes very little oil and is easy to get too much.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
The problem is not that 'crankcase pressure' will be raised by too much oil. What does occur is that the oil can be whipped into a foam or froth, and this interferes with the oil pump's mission. if it manages to pump any of the oil, it is full of air bubbles and that interferes with lubrication. In a an inline 4, 6 or v8 engine, for example, the crankshaft remains above the normal oil level. If too much oil is added, the crankshaft and connecting rod caps will whip around in the oil, and create foam bubbles. This is what can damage an engine, not 'too much pressure'. You can get leaks from seals and orifices that are not supposed to see liquid oil as well.

tomfelock said:
Yesterday I did my first oil change by myself but may have added a few extra ounces. Shall I just still ride my 400 or do I have to remove those ounces first and if so, best way - short of unscrewing drain plug? ( i think that if I unscrew oil filler cap and run engine at idle then oil will be "blown out" that way)

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Yea, so? I am in a bit of a hurry and distracted and didn't bother reading every answer, as do most. Pardon the intrusion. :thumbup:

DL-11 said:
I thought I already said that ? ?? :?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
QuantumRift said:
The problem is not that 'crankcase pressure' will be raised by too much oil. What does occur is that the oil can be whipped into a foam or froth, and this interferes with the oil pump's mission. if it manages to pump any of the oil, it is full of air bubbles and that interferes with lubrication. In a an inline 4, 6 or v8 engine, for example, the crankshaft remains above the normal oil level. If too much oil is added, the crankshaft and connecting rod caps will whip around in the oil, and create foam bubbles. This is what can damage an engine, not 'too much pressure'. You can get leaks from seals and orifices that are not supposed to see liquid oil as well.

tomfelock said:
Yes, that happens too in some cases depending on the engine and the level of oil. The rise in crankcase pressure tends to be the more immediate threat though, and has a negative impact straight away. It can push oil past crankshaft seals, output shaft seals etc very quickly and that alone can lead to considerable engine damage as it often isn't noticed until too late. A drop in oil pressure due to air in the oil is not too threatening for a short period. If the level of oil is very high the engine crankcase breather will output oil directly too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts