Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like just a month or two ago I was complaining how long the winter was this year here in Idaho. Then....yippee! Nice weather was finally here so let's go riding and then.....:crybaby:what happened? Nothing but hot hot hot and more hot now. 104 degrees yesterday and right now at 5:10 it is 103 and still climbing. I can dress for cold but what do you do when it's this hot? Sheeeeeeeeze. It's not fair. Just not fair I tell ya.

Planning to ride tomorrow with buddy because it is "only" supposed to get up to 95 or so. I hope that's as high as it gets because there aint no such thing as a cool breeze when it is blast furnace hot outside.

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
That was us the last 2 years, but with 90% humidity. Fortunately this year, it rarely gets above 80, but we have had a very wet season, with high humidity.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Hi Rustydust, I washed out the inside of my helmet and it hadn't completely dried out when I needed it so I used it while still damp on a very hot day. The result was a cool headed ride. True, everything else was warm but if my brain is cool then I am happy. Try it by spraying some water onto the cushy stuff at the top of the helmet and open all the vents. It should make a difference. I was using a Gmax 54s Helmet. Very airy with good flow over the top. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Got one and yes they are a wonderful help. Trouble is that you have to keep pulling over and rewetting it every now and then. Still, they feel great for a little while when they are good and wet. After a while...not so much.
It is better to have wet and rewet than to never have wet at all.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Of all the last 10 years this is the latest year I rode the motorbike.. I didn't have her on the interstate at 7 AM until the third week of May. Last year my bike was purchased at 5K, it's currently at 18 K, not many Harley-Davidson riders can catch that! Lol

·
Registered
375 Posts
The best advice I can give is to stay out of the wind, and use some sort of drinking bladder (like a Camelbak) to stay hydrated. The key is to let your body create a micro-climate around you that will keep you cool.

In May I rented an R1200RT in Phoenix and drove it down to Green Valley in 107 F heat. With the windshield up and my trusty Camelbak on, I was fine for the 3 hour drive.

For me, personally, cooling vests require stops every 30 minutes for re-wetting, or they turn into a hot, soggy mess. I'm much happier in vented gear behind a windscreen with a good supply of cool water. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The vests do need re-hydrating every 3 or so hours but that was only a problem on my V-Strom which has more than double the gas tank of the Burgies and a much more comfortable riding position which encourages/enables you to ride longer. The vests are almost perfectly matched with the driving range of the Burgies and the only real problem is that one is so isolated from the wind on a Burgie that the vests will not cool as efficiently as on a standard bike.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My wife and I are currently on our ride to "the beach". We ended up going through Zion NP where it was 106, then it got hot...over two of hours at 80mph with temp of 116!!! Obviously, we couldn't have done it without cooling vests however, in this case we were having to reset them every hour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts