Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have '06 AN400 for sale on this forum, been a member for many years. Wanted to reflect on the responses you get from bike ads now adays from Todays Bike Buyers "TBB". I have over 600 views of the ad on BUSA, 1880+ on FB Marketplace and 60+ on the Craiglist. Of those TBB who send a note half start with an offer that is less than trade in. Some want me to deliver, knee surgery prevents that. One offered lots less because they would have to ride 2 hours to pick up - weanie. I have done 12 for a good bike. Some want to trade something they do not value for something I value. I got told by one TBB that an old bike wasn't worth @#$, a new on was just $500 more than I was asking (ref: new 400 $8499), he told me he would stick down my Fn throat if I didn't like that.
Last night, I had a guy contact me, his 400 was stolen the night before, and he needed a replacement fast. I inquired about his license status, did not have one, said he had been riding for 3 years without plates, license or insurance. Didn't need them. All three are required in Indiana for 400cc bike. HIs arrogance got to me.
Taking the high road, I told him I would not sell to him. Not desperate to sell and did not want him getting away breaking the law on purpose with my help. I have been licensed, insured and road legal for 50+ years with 39 bikes under my butt.. Did I do the right thing? I think so. The bike will sit a bit longer, 2,000 views on FB surely is not a record. But I am not going to sell to some creep. Stolen bike one day, $3k cash the next?
The adventure continues. The knee replacement is healing well. Next one in a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Good on you!
Reference the knees. My wife could not ride for quite some while. But after her second replacement she was able to mount a Suzuki V-Strom, and we toured extensively on it.
We now have the Burgman (it's lower and lighter, and easier to get on and off of).
You are right not to "give away" yours. You never know, providence may say it doesn't sell so that you can continue to use it in the not to distant future? When you have had your 2nd replacement.

Either way, good luck with the sale, and your next op.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good on you!
Reference the knees. My wife could not ride for quite some while. But after her second replacement she was able to mount a Suzuki V-Strom, and we toured extensively on it.
We now have the Burgman (it's lower and lighter, and easier to get on and off of).
You are right not to "give away" yours. You never know, providence may say it doesn't sell so that you can continue to use it in the not to distant future? When you have had your 2nd replacement.

Either way, good luck with the sale, and your next op.
Ins and license plate paid till next year. Thanks for the kinds words on the bike and op.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
You gotta trust your gut instinct when in the trenches of Craigslist.

I think you did the right thing by saying no since you couldn’t ride the bike to a safe spot to show the bike. I would not want that person to know my address or the inside of my garage.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You gotta trust your gut instinct when in the trenches of Craigslist.

I think you did the right thing by saying no since you couldn’t ride the bike to a safe spot to show the bike. I would not want that person to know my address or the inside of my garage.
Here they put address on title, can’t hide it. ☹

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sold the bike to a rider from IN/KY. No sleep lost there. Enjoyed the visit too. be safe everyone

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If that guy did not have a license you can tell him he won't need the title!

I have been selling some stuff on Ebay under auction and I have had two people out bid everyone else on two items and then not pay for the item. You have to give them 4 days to make payment. If they didn't want it, why bid?

• Angry
Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I have had similar nightmare experience selling my Honda Goldwing Valkyrie 1800 recently. I won't burden you with the lengthy unbelievable story, but I get what you're going through. It's a different world with different creatures dwelling in it. A man of his word and a man of integrity are a dying breed. When I sell, I research thoroughly the loan value, retail value and wholesale value, I price my item at a fair market value, my items are always maintained and meticulously clean, everything in working order, never need tires or batteries etc... I am probably the top 1% of sellers. My bikes are well accessorized with thousands in extras that never factor into my price, just sweeten the deal for the right buyer. I don't like being jerked around and my adds reflect that.
I lucked out and bought my Burgman from a great guy.
He was in disbelief when I told him I would be there with cash and did not attempt to beat him up on the price, he was shocked when I told him I was coming with a trailer from several hours away, he wanted me to come and look at it first and ride it. I said, if it's everything you advertise in your well written add I am coming to buy it, not beat around the bush with you. I pulled up, saw his home and vehicles all maintained flawlessly, the garage door went up and there it sat neat as a pin on carpet. Nothing more for me to see, it was spotless, I walked up to him and place the cash in his hand as he attempted a handshake. My wife understood, she was placing the straps in position on the trailer for me. Never rode it, loaded it and head out on my way. He told me about the stories he had as well with want to be buyers attempting to get him down.

I digress, stick to your guns, price it fair and wait for the RIGHT BUYER, that knows what the heck they want and what they are looking at and actually has the funds to make it happen. (Selling can make you not like people) Possibly where you advertise could yield better results? I had the most tire kickers and fools from craigs list, Marketplace, the free ones. When I sell on Cycle Trader and pay for my add, it's worth the expense and weeds out the fools.
Best wishes and a speedy recovery (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts