Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a rider not a wrencher. But it turns out that just changing the oil/filter seems to require a torque wrench. At least according to the videos of oil changes I have watched. Have never used one. But they are 50 per cent off at Canadian Tire ( either 3/8 or 1/2 inch) just now - $55 +/-.

What say you gentlemen? Advice, tips, warnings - all welcome. Can it be used to torque in the phillips head bolts/screws as well as hex nut heads?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
On almost all larger fasteners I use a torque wrench. Oil filters, not usually since I've been turning them on for decades and have an pretty good feel for it. And most just say so many turns after contact. (Note that filters with a flat washer like many aftermarket can't be tightened as many turns as OEM Suzuki with an o-ring.) Anything that uses an 8mm socket or less (and sometimes 10mm) I won't use a torque wrench. If you get into the lower range of the tool it becomes less accurate. I've stripped out smaller fasteners when torquing them so I just go by feel on those. And I don't use one on anything with a Phillips (JIS) head.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
My audio wrench isn’t so accurate these days (two squeaks done, 4 for “that #@&£ers not gonna come loose” :)

Its a pain to work on somebodies vehicle when everything’s over tightened.
Useful for awkward angles where you can be tempted to overcompensate

As with everything, don’t blindly trust it - when you think “that feels like a lot”, check you set it and set it right.

make sure it goes down lower than you need for a bike, a lot of bigger ones don’t and the very ends of the range aren’t so accurate

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Filters are 3/4 turn after contact (flat seal ring) or sometimes more per the box instructions for the filter IMO. I've always done that and never used a torque wrench on a filter.
BTW- NEVER use the nut on K&N filters to tighten it on. That nut is ONLY for removing the filter... ONLY. There was a recall on those some time ago due to the nut being used to put on the filter and then the filter failed as a result.

The oil drain bolt is another issue. I always torque that to spec. Make sure the crush washer is in good condition and replace if not perfectly smooth. I agree with @G-Dub about not using a torque wrench on the small stuff. Too easy to over tighten those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts