Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lardy Burger owners! :bootyshake:

Just been reading an interesting thread on on Yahoo Maxiscoot forum

I know many do not like that Yahoo forum rigamarole so I have copied the salient points (and I emboldened selectively!! :D ) here for your delectation, consumption and edification.
The thread was started by Paul Blezard a UK journalist who has articles published in Twist & Go (he is also a member of this forum but does not post much).

Here you go:
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:28:43 +0000
Subject: Dead Burger King revived with judicious tap

Strange roadside incidents with Powered Two Wheelers, No.193

Yesterday, my Burger King 650 stranded me at the roadside for the first time in 15,000 miles. (Apart from when I ran out of juice twice in the same journey to Paris, obviously).

I pulled up at a postbox to post a letter, cut the ignition, posted the letter and attempted to re-start. Not so much as a click or a whirr.

All the electrics worked - lights, horn, indicators etc. The dashboard lights went through their normal checking procedure, but when I pressed the starter button, nichts, nada, niente, rien.

I obviously checked the kill switch, sidestand cut-out switch, battery connections and fuses - nothing.

I was only about a mile from home, so started to push the overweight beast, but after about 200 yards thought 'bugger this for a game of soldiers' and phoned Ray the mechanic at West London Suzuki centre. He reminded me that this was exactly what the Burger had done in his workshop when it had its 14,000 mile service a few weeks ago. I hadn't realised that the symptoms were the same, because I hadn't been there at the time. I thought it had at least clicked or whirred or something, but apparently not. He had diagnosed a faulty starter motor, and subsequently got one out of Suzuki under warranty, which is sitting in their workshop waiting to be fitted next Tuesday. By a spooky coincidence I had booked the beast in only a few hours earlier for this very job. Last time, Ray told me, the starter motor had mysteriously come back to life after the merest tap with a screwdriver - why didn't I try that? I hadn't realised that the starter motor is conveniently located on top of the engine, right between your knees, so just requires the removal of the plastic cover for access. One crosshead screw off, a bit of heaving and fiddling with the cover, and there it was. I gave it a couple of taps with the standard Suzuki screwdriver from the toolkit. Not believing that such a pathetic little tap would make any difference to anything, I nevertheless turned the ignition key and pressed the starter button. Hey Presto, instant start of engine!

Presumably the brushes are damaged in some way, so that if the starter just happens to stop in a certain place, they fail to make the necessary contact or something. Reminded me of having to push my old Renault 4 in gear to get the starter to work. This was a lot less physical, but somewhat more mystifying. Hopefully all will be arrived when the starter motors are swapped on Tuesday! Anyone else encountered this problem? PNB

This worries me. My son has had to have two (so he is now on his third)
replacement starters. At over 200 pounds a throw, that is not funny!

Are the starters on the Burgy similar to those on the Hayabusa? Is there an
inherent weakness in Suzy starter motors?

Ian G
Not exactly but I have an idea of what the problem may be. The
brushes run in a set of guides and have small cam springs acting on
the reverse faces where the flyleads to the electrical contacts are
also embedded. As the brushes wear they slide lower in the guides.
Carbon dust builds up around the guides and as the brushes move down
the springs have to slide slightly on the surfaces and if too much
dust builds up this doesn't happen so the brushes get forced
slightly sideways in their guides and so jam and so not enough
contact with the commutator occurs. A slight tap frees them off and
all is well again.
Sometimes the commutator develops a dead sector and if the motor
stops with this dead sector under a brush it won't work, but if the
motor can be turned manually it works again normally, and may only
go dead occasionally and at random.
This used to be fairly common in old Lucas starter motors from old
BMC cars.

Dave Milnes

Thats it! :thumbright:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hey Normanb....good to see you're back on-line with some pithy commentary. Have missed your input...must be a bitch having to work for a living?

I would think the starter motor could be rebuild by any good starter/generator rebuild shop. That is, for those not under warranty.
In my area there are several that do that kind of work...mainly old timers from the days when people kept vehicles forever and had broken parts replaced or rebuilt.

Night time now on the East Coast....all of us Yanks are full of turkey and dressing and such. Going to get down to 30F tonight here in N.C. and only about 50F tomorrow. Guess winter is starting to really set in. :(

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ted me olde m8!!

Well working for a living is not the only thing that prevents forum members posting!!

Maybe this is responsible for the lack of activity today Link

Have good one! :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Norm!

Thanks for the tidbit of info regarding the starters. As I was reading it the first thing that came to my mind was the starter brushes . My Lardy Arse is in storage for the winter ( in the house :D ) I think I will take my starter out and give the commutater and brush area a thorough cleaning. Thanks again on the heads up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts