Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Yikes

Some friends sent some dramatic photos. They are some of the luckier ones and have a second property in Oakland they’ve been able to bug out to. Still have the smoke though.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Check out the visible satellite (and other overlays) on windy[dot]com.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
What freaks me out is this picture from the helo fly over :

How it wipes out a city block ...there at 7 o’clock in the picture it looks like it crept in on a small manageable grass fire....was there nobody there ? Was everybody evacuated?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Strange how it jumps over/around things. Almost like tornado damage.

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The 60 MPH winds made it like a swerving fire wall coming at you. The sparks fly for up to a mile. The fire that took my fathers house jumped the Columbia River. The fire came thru and burnt almost everything. But some houses were missed due to having steel roofs and no landscaping close to the house.

Bridgeport Fire.jpg

Reactions: ByronW and Rusty J

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Thanks unbelievable....you would think a river would be the utmost perfect firebreak.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Worth a thousand words I hear.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
...and a big fire creates its own winds once it’s under way. Including fire tornadoes/fire devils.
I hope we see an end to this soon.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The satellite map shows the smoke cloud is moving slowly over Europe.

Looking out the window this morning it looks just marginally better out there. I can see my back door neighbors back yard garage/she shed.

·
Premium Member
8,330 Posts
The satellite map shows the smoke cloud is moving slowly over Europe.

Looking out the window this morning it looks just marginally better out there. I can see my back door neighbors back yard garage/she shed.
let us know when you can see in her bedroom window,,,, :devilish:,,,,:oops: for the smoke update of course

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Mikey, please remember my post about the "Ladies night" at the Sammamish Nudest club for 1960s members. My neighbor is in her 80's.

·
Registered
150 Posts
After several very bad fire years I could barely go outside of my house on the westside of the sierras in Mariposa, for large parts of the year
My sensitivity to pollen from the abundant trees oak, pine, buckeye, tarweed has increased over the years
My wife has bouts of pleurisy, I have trouble breathing
The house is rustic, last winter even burning the wood stove was hurting both of us, while the water filtering of the swamp cooler help, but not enough
We moved to a place that is a small clean room of a studio apartment, with an air purifier in Reno The smoke has been very thick, except the few days when the cold front pushed through last week

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
We moved to a place that is a small clean room of a studio apartment, with an air purifier in Reno The smoke has been very thick, except the few days when the cold front pushed through last week
Man, with the smoke that bad (not that it really shows up in that photo, which shows off Reno nicely) it's almost like you're so close to H#ll that you can see Sparks.

Sparks, Nevada is a suburb of Reno.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Just remember these fires are not all caused by Global Warming.

You're technically correct -- the best kind of correct. Unless you count the freak dry-lightning storm a couple of weeks ago as being a product of climate change, and that's debatable.

On the other hand, changing climate led to dryer and hotter weather on the Pacific central coast and intermountain west. This would suggest that while the fires weren't caused by climate change, it made them significantly worse.

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
There is a Conspiracy Theory out there that points to observations of extreme bursts of light right at the points and start times of a lot of the Oregon fires. These bursts of lights are coming down from space in patterns of satellites.

Just today the US Defense Department announced that both Russia and China have developed Partial Beam weapons and deployed them in space.

Go to about 1:43 to hear him say it.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I'd think they'd use high beams, not partial beams. Better lighting.

Besides, it's a technical challenge to get a beam of charged particles through the atmosphere (they tend to ionize what's in their path, and the ionized air breaks up the beam because like charges repel). Probably useful in orbit-to-orbit antisatellite applications, but far less so in orbit-to-ground ones.

Bonus points: Lots more satellites to see up there with SpaceX's constellation, so it might be easy to put one and two together and think the answer is four.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts