Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it going in your areas. We have members all over in the Western USA that are very close to the fires. Whole towns in Oregon have burnt, over 1 million acres in Oregon alone.

ByronW in Medford OR
MJR in lower OR/ North CA
Ibuzzard in CA

We have had a few big fires around our house and my sons house. But we just got word that my Fathers house that has had a Squatter living in it since my father passed in 2008, My stepbrother by marriage, was a total loss on Monday when the town of Bridgeport WA got half burnt. There were 20 homes that burnt and this was one of them. We have been fighting his lawyer to evict so we could fix the house up and sell it but he is now evicted.

Reactions: ibuzzard

·
Registered
236 Posts
Our house still stands. We are staying in a hotel, as still no water or electricity. We go there days, still keeping subcontractors in line. We had not finished our remodel when this happened, thought we wouldn’t get to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Fortunately, I had a port a john on site for the contractors remaining, so that is a good thing. Stunk after almost three weeks not being emptied, got that done today. We are buying our meals out, don’t want to do dishes heating water on the camp stove. Picking and giving away tons of stuff from our garden. Even after not having water for more than three weeks, I got tomatoes, peppers, an eggplants out the wazoo. We usually fill our freezer and do lots of canning, can’t do it this year, So putting my growing beds to an early rest. But, I’ll still be putting in 250 garlic cloves and a few hundred onion plants in Oct./Nov. Life will go on, eh?

Hope everyone else affected is doing o.k.?

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only word we are getting is the stepbrother was evacuated and is OK. The house was worth $40,000 but we owe $5,300 in back taxes as he was not paying the tax or electric bills.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
sorry double post ..see below.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
More help is on the way....Our FDP is coming to help.

“Texas Gov. Abbott’s Office said around 190 firefighters, 50 fire trucks and 10 command vehicles from 56 fire departments in the state will travel to California Friday. These teams are in addition to 44 firefighters, 10 fire trucks and two command vehicles that were sent in late August.”

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
So sorry for you guys west of me. All we have to deal with is the smoke traveling east from California.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
I'm just outside Seattle, Dave's really closer to the action, but smoke..
Here's a couple shots from a park near me.

Normal:

Today (This was around noon):

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, today it is a orangeish glow. Temperature was forecasted to be around 85F but its been in the upper 50's and just now broke 61F. I have been out working in the yard for a couple hours and my chest is aching.

We need some of this to wash it down

rainy_seattle.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Really not quite as orange as that to my eye but it is a definite orangish haze.

One bizarre thing is that smartphone cameras are having difficulty capturing the sky color.
Their automatic color-balance correction doesn't believe the sky can be that particular reddish orange and "fixes" it...

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
This smoke is going to stress the lungs of many and make them more susceptible to Covid?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The sun was a pinkish red here the other day in the afternoon and you could look right at it like the full moon. My sister called me up to have me look out and check it out she was so amazed.

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This smoke is going to stress the lungs of many and make them more susceptible to Covid?
Not in of itself.

If the person has an outlying lung condition then yes it may. COPD or Lung Cancer victims may be much more effected by a smaller contact of this virus. One or 50 spores of the virus may not effect a normal person. I do not know where the threshold line is.
Remember, I am not a doctor so what I say can be taken a fact.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is in Post Falls Idaho this morn. you cant see the mountains that are about a mile away, by this after noon you could hardly see the trailers next door!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Depends on how you define "susceptible". I doubt it would make it easier to become infected in the first place. On the other hand, it may turn what would have been mild or even asymptomatic infections into more severe ones.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Our area was hit hard, hundreds of homes and commercial buildings completely lost. We were 1.5 miles from the evac area, on alert for the day and night. We were packed and ready, but never had to leave home. We're also actively remodeling this place, with wife's mom in an apartment out our back door. We had her cats and our dog ready to leave, with water and food packed along with a few other things. It is awful for many folks here, it took out several mobile home parks, older places, those families will probably suffer the worst, some renters, little or no insurance, or value to their property if they had insurance. This valley has had a shortage of rentals and high prices for a long time, this will only make it harder. We are in a rural residential area, on a well, so if power goes out, things get unhandy fast. I've considered a generator before, but honestly never lose power for more than minutes, even through this event. Sorry to hear of your plight Buzzard, we could be there so fast. Fires in So. Oregon are not new, but ripping right through town is.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
ByronW, hitting the Like Button only for the quality of your write-up and link.

I’m very happy to hear that your safe in your own home.

Godspeed moving forward !

Reactions: Rusty J and Dave_J

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This should explain why we are advised NOT to go out unless we really need to. This is the fires smoke, not fog.

Seattle 2020 smog.jpg

Reactions: ELF and DarisPakar
1 - 20 of 44 Posts